joonc

Help please, before I lose my mind...

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am traveling overseas in 6 weeks (flight booked) and I have an N-600 currently processing with USCIS. I sent out the N-600 application on 9/2014, received the NOA on 10/2/2014, and the local office (San Francisco) received the file on 10/22/2015. I was hoping to receive my certificate by March so I could apply for my US passport, but it is now looking like that is highly unlikely (going off the USCIS processing times).

A little background info about me: I was born in S. Korea, and came to the US when I was 3 (I'm now 37). Both of my parents were naturalized before I turned 18. I have never applied for US citizenship or passport.

I would just go apply for a US passport, but I don't know if I have all the necessary documents. According to the instructions on form DS-11, I need:

If you claim citizenship through naturalization of parent(s): Submit the Certificate(s) of Naturalization of your parent(s), your foreign birth certificate (and official translation if the

document is not in English), proof of your admission to the United States for permanent residence, and your parents' marriage/certificate and/or evidence that you were in the

legal and physical custody of your U.S. citizen parent, if applicable.

I have my mom's original Certificate of Naturalization, but only a photocopy of my dad's (my dad died 15 years ago, my mom never remarried). I cannot really prove that I was in the legal and physical custody of my parents (lost all school and medical records). Should I just renew my Korean passport? Will that affect my eligibility to obtain my Certificate of Citizenship?

Please advise. I am literally losing sleep over this.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I googled and it appears you may be eligible with just 1 parent as naturalized citizen. In that case, your mom's naturalization certificate may be sufficiend. CAVEAT: CHECK with an immigration lawyer.

contact your congressman and ask them to contact your uscis local office requesting an expedite processing of your N600. Send the congressman office a copy of your flight reservation as a proof. Hopefully, you will get your Citizenship certificate quickly

AOS

day 1 -- 04/11/2012-- package sent to Chicago

day 2 -- 04/12/2012-- package was received.

day 43-- 05/23/2012-- Notice for an interview is received for 06/26 @ 2pm

day 63-- 06/12/2012-- Received a Text & email for an update- Card production EAD/AP

day 77-- 06/26/2012-- interview / approved on the spot.

day 86-- 07/05/2012-- Received my GC in the mail.

ROC

day 1 -- 04/07/2014 -- ROC Package delivered to VSC

day 16 -- 04/23/2014 -- Walk-in Bio.

day 197 -- 10/20/2014-- Approval Letter received dated 10/16/2014

day 202 -- 10/25/2014-- GC received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi all,

I am traveling overseas in 6 weeks (flight booked) and I have an N-600 currently processing with USCIS. I sent out the N-600 application on 9/2014, received the NOA on 10/2/2014, and the local office (San Francisco) received the file on 10/22/2015. I was hoping to receive my certificate by March so I could apply for my US passport, but it is now looking like that is highly unlikely (going off the USCIS processing times).

A little background info about me: I was born in S. Korea, and came to the US when I was 3 (I'm now 37). Both of my parents were naturalized before I turned 18. I have never applied for US citizenship or passport.

I would just go apply for a US passport, but I don't know if I have all the necessary documents. According to the instructions on form DS-11, I need:

If you claim citizenship through naturalization of parent(s): Submit the Certificate(s) of Naturalization of your parent(s), your foreign birth certificate (and official translation if the

document is not in English), proof of your admission to the United States for permanent residence, and your parents' marriage/certificate and/or evidence that you were in the

legal and physical custody of your U.S. citizen parent, if applicable.

I have my mom's original Certificate of Naturalization, but only a photocopy of my dad's (my dad died 15 years ago, my mom never remarried). I cannot really prove that I was in the legal and physical custody of my parents (lost all school and medical records). Should I just renew my Korean passport? Will that affect my eligibility to obtain my Certificate of Citizenship?

Please advise. I am literally losing sleep over this.

Your mom's information should be sufficient. You will have to demonstrate that you were a permanent resident when your parents or naturalized. I assume that you can prove that you had a green card at that time. As for the custody issue, you will need something to show that you were living with your parents , In this case your mother, at the time that she was naturalist. You say that you have lost your school records, but you can contact your old school and ask for copies of your registration or your grades or anything like that.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.