meladadel

About to get married. F2A Visa help plz

18 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

I have a green card and my fiance in Egypt. I am about to get married in May/2015. I have some questions and please help me with coz I & my fiance now almost don't sleep.

If I apply to her in Jun 2015, what is the expected time I will wait till she comes. I called like 10 lawyers and they said less than 2 years and another lawyer told me it takes 4 and up to 5 years but I know couple of people that took them 3 years and they got the citizenship and that's how they brought their spouses.

Another friend told me that he personally knew someone came from Egypt via F2A visa in 8 moths and he knew another one came in less than a year and there was something called bad luck list in the immigration generally that anyone applied between 2010 and 2013 was unlucky for the delay but they process the new applications on a timely manner and now it takes less than a year to get my wife even I am a permanent resident not a citizen.

I live in Georgia so my immigration office is Texas.

Is that any of true ?

I am totally confused between the lawyers and my friend and I don't know what is the reality. He is sure that he is going to get married next month and start the F2A visa believing that she will be here in less than a year.

Please advise me.

Have a great day.

Timeline
About to get married. F2A Visa help plz

Today, 06:21 PM

Hello Everyone,

I have a green card and my fiance in Egypt. I am about to get married in May/2015. I have some questions and please help me with coz I & my fiance now almost don't sleep.

If I apply to her in Jun 2015, what is the expected time I will wait till she comes. I called like 10 lawyers and they said less than 2 years and another lawyer told me it takes 4 and up to 5 years but I know couple of people that took them 3 years and they got the citizenship and that's how they brought their spouses.

Another friend told me that he personally knew someone came from Egypt via F2A visa in 8 moths and he knew another one came in less than a year and there was something called bad luck list in the immigration generally that anyone applied between 2010 and 2013 was unlucky for the delay but they process the new applications on a timely manner and now it takes less than a year to get my wife even I am a permanent resident not a citizen.

Is that any of true ?

I am totally confused between the lawyers and my friend and I don't know what is the reality. He is sure that he is going to get married next month and start the F2A visa believing that she will be here in less than a year.

Please advise me.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

Is that any of true ?

Please advise me.

Have a great day.

The whole process is approximately 20-24 months (2 years). Assuming current trends on the visa bulletin.

It will not take 8 months - those are cases filed by U.S. Citizens.

IF you are eligible to apply for US Citizenship you should as it would help to speed the process.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

Is that any of true ?

Please advise me.

Have a great day.

Hello,

Congratulations on your coming wedding, The current waiting time is roughly 24 months, it could be more or less. Your friend was right, it took some people about 8 months or less to get a visa that was when it was made current. Bad luck is retrogression when it starts the dates starts to go back rather than advance. You would be needing a lot of patience during this process. I think you should focus on the things you can control like when to file the application. Good luck

Month/Day/Year 09/24/2013 - Priority Date09/26/2013 - NOA112/18/2013 - NOA2 - Approved01/06/2014 - NVC Received my case02/13/2015 - Received email to pay AOS/ DS-261 WAIVED02/14/2015 - AOS & IV Fees Paid03/06/2015 - Financial Documents and Civil documents sent to NVC03/09/2015 - NVC Received03/09/2015 - NVC Scan Date03/09/2015 - Ds260 completed and submitted03/11/2015 - NVC sent confirmation via email04/04/2015 - AOS Checklist 04/06/2015 -Response to Checklist04/07/2015 - New Scan Date04/30/2015 - Case complete confirmation via phone05/07/2015 - Received case complete confirmation mail06/02/2015 - Interview Date ( 2nd July 2015) over the phone 06/08/2015 - Interview Letter arrived via Email 06/15/2015 - Medical Test Completed06/10/2015 - Case shows READY at CEAC portal<p>Visa Approved, waiting to pick up passport :)

Timeline
Thanks RICARDO4EVA2 & Dordor for your replies. It's kind of relieving knowing it about 2 years not 3 or 4

So, basically it doesn't take more than those 2 years ?

I have another option. one of our US citizen friends ( originally from Egypt ) can go back and make a fiance visa and when she comes here, we will figure out what to do. it takes only 9 months to get her here. I know it doesn't sound very comforting and we don't get a long with the idea, but it's an option and we decided to delay our marriage till she comes if we will do that.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do ?

Thanks a lot for the advice

Thanks RICARDO4EVA2 & Dordor for your replies. It's kind of relieving knowing it about 2 years not 3 or 4

So, basically it doesn't take more than those 2 years ?

I have another option. one of our US citizen friends ( originally from Egypt ) can go back and make a fiance visa and when she comes here, we will figure out what to do. it takes only 9 months to get her here. I know it doesn't sound very comforting and we don't get a long with the idea, but it's an option and we decided to delay our marriage till she comes if we will do that.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do ?

Thanks a lot for the advice

Are you advocating committing immigration fraud to bring the person here on false pretenses? Reporting to mods for TOS.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

milimelo,

Hey man I didn't know this could be fraud. I am new to the whole thing. You could have just said don't do that it's not right.

You didn't know it was fraud for her to lie about being another person's fiancee in order to get a visa? Seriously?

Please don't insult our intelligence.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

That plan would never work , someone that arrives as another persons fiancé can never adjust status with another person and could end up being banned for life.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

You didn't know it was fraud for her to lie about being another person's fiancee in order to get a visa? Seriously?

Please don't insult our intelligence.

I didn't think about it this way and I could be mistaken. anyway, I said I don't think it was a good idea and I am proceeding in my f2a.

But anyway, thanks for letting me know it's wrong. Not everyone is aware of the law man. I never dealt with the law or lawyer in my entire life. That's why I said such a thing in a public forum. Because I didn't know it's wrong.

Appreciate your advice anyway.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I didn't think about it this way and I could be mistaken. anyway, I said I don't think it was a good idea and I am proceeding in my f2a.

But anyway, thanks for letting me know it's wrong. Not everyone is aware of the law man. I never dealt with the law or lawyer in my entire life. That's why I said such a thing in a public forum. Because I didn't know it's wrong.

Appreciate your advice anyway.

You don't need to know the law to know that lying to get a visa is fraud. It's common sense.

Best of luck.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

No, this is not an option, it's visa fraud.

~~Moderator hat on~~

***Per the VJ Terms of Service, there will be no additional discussion of the above content.***

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Dude...first of all, if you bring your girl as someone else's fiance, you have to show sooo many paper work to prove that the relationship is genuine like the phone records showing conversations between your friend and your fiance, skype chat history, text messages, family photos, photos of them together, engagement ring receipt etc etc. I personally think its very creepy to let your fiance and your friend go through all that, let alone its an immigration fraud. If you were caught, your fiance will be banned for life and you may get jailed and or deported and your friend will be jailed.

Do you want to risk all that or just wait for couple of years and go through the process legally?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Also if she comes into USA as your friend's fiance, she cant marry you and adjust (Adjustment of Status - AOS) as your wife. She will still have to go back to her home country and apply F2A as your wife. So this whole thing is a botched idea. I dont know who gave you this idea. But its very dangerous path that can put all three of you in jail potentially.

Please consult an immigration attorney. DONT listen to your friends.

Timeline

Thanks a lot everyone,

excuse my ignorance.

For the f2a Visa, The marriage contract has to be in s a specific form or it's only the one that the government issue ?

Also. Should be certified or stamped from the ministry of exterior in my country or just a certified translation will be enough ?

Appreciate your help guys. that was very helpful.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.