Kas&Isaac

Help. Received K1 visa and there's a tear in envelope!

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

As stated in the title, I picked up my K1 visa today and the sealed envelope you are not supposed to open has a tear in it near the bottom corner. I recall seeing other people post in the forums that this had also happened to them but I'm not sure how I'm to go about dealing with it?

Do I call somewhere to have them note that the envelope had a tear? Do I tape it up? Do I just act like it's normal and tell the border officer it came to me in that condition?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kosova
Timeline

Did you receive the envelope through post office. if yes the post office teared it down in the bottom because that's their rule. When I sent my fiance some documents through post office , they tired down the envelope a little bit. I hope that's what happened to your envelope.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The K1 was sent by courier. I don't think they send it to a post office.

It turns out I should be okay. I called the US Border office that I usually use to cross and theh advised that I should be okay because the tear isn't very big. They said I can even tape it to prevent further tearing.

Feeling a lot more relieved now.

As stated in the title, I picked up my K1 visa today and the sealed envelope you are not supposed to open has a tear in it near the bottom corner. I recall seeing other people post in the forums that this had also happened to them but I'm not sure how I'm to go about dealing with it?

Do I call somewhere to have them note that the envelope had a tear? Do I tape it up? Do I just act like it's normal and tell the border officer it came to me in that condition?

This is normal. Others have mentioned that the corner is torn. I think they do this so someone can examine the inside of the envelope wihtout having to open it. Just put it in a safe place until you hand it over to teh CBP agent at your POE. I would not bother to tape it.

|

Dave

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

What everyone else said. The PoE's main concern is that the contents of the envelope haven't been removed, tampered with, altered, or replaced. If the tear is sufficiently small that the contents of the envelope could obviously not have been tampered with, everything should be fine.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Mine was the same way, and i had no problem... they didn't even mention it :lol:

19 May 2014: Met

25 Sept 2014: Got Engaged

K1 and AOS:

Spoiler

K-1 Visa:                                                                      AOS:

24 Oct 2014: Mailed I-129f                                                                                                  25 Feb 2015: Mailed AOS package

29 Oct 2014: NOA1                                                                                                                    04 March 2015: Received NOA for AOS/EAD/AP

31 Oct 2014: Alien Registration Number Changed                                                  10 March 2015: AOS/EAD NOA Hardcopy

05 Nov 2014: NOA1 Hard Copy                                                                               19 March 2015: RFE

10 Nov 2014: NOA2                                                                                                 23 March 2015: Biometrics

17 Nov 2014: NOA2 Hard Copy                                                                                24 March 2015: Received RFE letter

24-25 Nov 2014: NVC Received and Case Number Assigned                                     6 April 2015: AP NOA Hardcopy

28 Nov 2014: NVC Left                                                                                            15 May 2015: Mailed RFE response

01 Dec 2014: Consulate received                                                                              19 May 2015: RFE Response Received

08 Dec 2014: Packet 3 Received                                                                                             27 May 2015: EAD/AP Approved

05 Jan 2015: Medical exam                                                                                      03 June 2015: EAD/AP Approval Hardcopy

08 Jan 2015: Interview APPROVED!                                                                         04 June 2015: EAD/AP Combo card in hands

13 Jan 2015: Visa in hands                                                                                        27 June 2015; NPIW letter

26 Jan 2015: PoE (Minneapolis)                                                                                20 Aug 2015: AOS APPROVED! 

18 Feb 2015: Marriage                                                                                              24 Aug 2015: Welcome Notice received

29 Aug 2015: Green card mailed

02 Sep 2015: Green card in hands

ROC:

28 July 2017: Mailed ROC package

31 July 2017: NOA1

~ Many months of nothing ~

12 April 2018: Biometrics waived

29 October 2018 ROC APPROVED! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.