shippingforecast

AOS Checklist Drama

11 posts in this topic

Background: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/531048-fighting-back-against-nvc-i-864-nitpicking/

So I called the NVC up today as we are on day 49/60 for reviewal of documents. I was told that we had received an AOS checklist, and the operator refused to discuss what the reasoning was behind the checklist. I was so angry.

My wife called them up a half hour later and was told we had received a checklist because the total income on our co-sponsor's forms don't match what was reported on their most recent tax return.

According to the minutes from NVC's meeting with AILA in November - those figures don't need to match. The sponsor simply needs to demonstrate that they can maintain an income of over 125% of the federal poverty guideline.

With that in mind, we requested to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor butted in on the call and stated there was a discrepancy between total income on the tax forms and what was on the I-864. We underlined the above point from the meeting with AILA. The case has now been put into review...

The point? Start fighting back!

Now chronicling my experience in handy blog format at

http://the-shipping-forecast.tumblr.com/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Background: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/531048-fighting-back-against-nvc-i-864-nitpicking/

So I called the NVC up today as we are on day 49/60 for reviewal of documents. I was told that we had received an AOS checklist, and the operator refused to discuss what the reasoning was behind the checklist. I was so angry.

My wife called them up a half hour later and was told we had received a checklist because the total income on our co-sponsor's forms don't match what was reported on their most recent tax return.

According to the minutes from NVC's meeting with AILA in November - those figures don't need to match. The sponsor simply needs to demonstrate that they can maintain an income of over 125% of the federal poverty guideline.

With that in mind, we requested to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor butted in on the call and stated there was a discrepancy between total income on the tax forms and what was on the I-864. We underlined the above point from the meeting with AILA. The case has now been put into review...

Sorry to hear about the checklist. wish you best of luck in the supervisor review. Please let us know how it went.

Good job. Hopefully the outcome is well!

ROC Timeline!

Service Center : California Service Center

NOA2017-09-01

Biometrics : 2017-09-28

ROC Approved 2019-01-17

AOS Timeline!

Marriage : 2015-01-10

AOS/EAD/AP NOA : 2015-01-20

Biometrics : 2015-02-17

EAD/AP Approved : 2015-03-17

NPIW : 2015-06-11

AOS Approved : 2015-11-24

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-11

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-08-12

Consulate Received : 2014-09-15

Interview Date : 2014-11-13

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2014-11-15

US Entry : 2014-12-31

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

Why again into review and additional xy days? it should be CC immediately!

N-400 Timeline
04/02/19 N-400 Submitted online
04/22/19 Biometrics
11/05/19 Interview (Approved)

ROC Timeline

Service Center: California

08/11/17 I-751 Packet delivered to USCIS

09/18/17 Biometrics Appointment

08/17/18 2nd extension letter (additional 6 months)

11/02/18 New card is being  produced (Approved)

NVC
11-04-2014 NVC case receive

05-20-2015 Visa received

10-06-2015 Time to kick back and let it fly

So according to them, the total income on my mother-in-law's I-864a should be the same as my father-in-law's I-864a, as they filed their taxes jointly, even though they both have separate jobs/incomes. It's still in review, but we're preparing fresh I-864a forms in case it doesn't go our way.

It's absolutely devastating news. I took voluntary redundancy last year in September, having filed in May, to fund the move. I no longer have a source of income and I'm burning through what I'd put aside for a car. I'm going to arrive there with literally nothing, and if I can't afford a car, I won't be able to find work easily.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

So according to them, the total income on my mother-in-law's I-864a should be the same as my father-in-law's I-864a, as they filed their taxes jointly, even though they both have separate jobs/incomes. It's still in review, but we're preparing fresh I-864a forms in case it doesn't go our way.

It's absolutely devastating news. I took voluntary redundancy last year in September, having filed in May, to fund the move. I no longer have a source of income and I'm burning through what I'd put aside for a car. I'm going to arrive there with literally nothing, and if I can't afford a car, I won't be able to find work easily.

wish you get your CC very soon. Good luck.

I've been following your blog and posts on here, and found it so helpful and interesting that you posted what you did about that meeting NVC had. They need to get their stories straight. I really hope this goes your way, please let us know if it does so we can all start trying to point this out.

Best of luck. :star:

~12-25-2006: met online (a blog site)
05-01-2013: FINALLY MET IN PERSON! in Canada
05-04-2013: finally became a couple
06-14-2014: got engaged
08-08-2014: got married in Canada
09-18-2014: sent I-130 via UPS, 142 pages in total
09-19-2014: I-130 arrived and signed for
09-24-2014: NOA1 text & hard copy received same day, Vermont Service Center
11-20-2014: NOA2 (I-130 approval!) hard copy received, 57 days from NOA1

12-08-2014: NVC received case
01-14-2015: case number and IIN number received via email
01-14-2015: DS-261 submitted
01-14-2015: AOS fee paid
01-22-2015: IV fee paid
01-24-2015: DS-260 submitted
01-25-2015: AOS and IV documents submitted electronically
02-18-2015: petitioner's proof of US domicile submitted electronically
02-25-2015: email confirmation received (31 days after sending!), scan date of 01-26-2015 <--60 day wait starts
03-24-2015: email confirmation received (34 days after sending!), scan date of 02-18-2015 <--60 day wait starts (a 2nd time)
03-31-2015: case completed at NVC! 2/18 documents got reviewed with the 1/26 ones, 64 days from original scan date

04-07-2015: case complete email received
04-22-2015: interview date email received
05-13-2015: medical in Montreal

05-19-2015: picked up medical results
05-20-2015: interview in Montreal --- APPROVED!, 238 days from NOA1

05-25-2015: passport/visa received!

05-30-2015: POE, Calais/St Stephen land crossing, 248 days from NOA1

06-03-2015: paid ELIS fee

06-10-2015: SSN received

07-02-2015: green card received!

03-13-2017: sent I-751 via USPS to Vermont Service Center, 156 pages in total 
03-14-2017: I-751 arrived and signed for

03-23-2017: NOA1 received, dated 03-16-2017

04-07-2017: biometrics appointment letter received 
04-18-2017: biometrics appointment 

02-05-2018: I-751 approval received!, dated 02-01-2018

Thanks for the kind thoughts guys. I just received the checklist emails; they confirmed that the total income on one of the I-864a forms is wrong and needs to match what is on the joint tax return. One simple line. So here's our plan of attack - we're going to submit the amended paperwork whilst the case is in supervisor review via express post and call midweek. We'll try and get a hold of the same supervisor we spoke to today, and if it's still not in our favour state that they should have the amended paperwork by now and considering our file has been pulled, ask whether she can go ahead and mark it as complete (as we were told that the only snag was this one). If not, we'll just contact our state representitives with the above notes from the meeting minutes.

I know I'm coming off as a little snobbish. I've managed centers before and I know that when you have a flood of work coming in and limited resources, you have to appreciate people's patience. I really didn't mind the 60 day wait to review documents. I've said it before - I understand a visa is a privilige and not some divine right. I do however think that having an additional two months added to processing time based on one line of text not being what is wanted completely unjust. Anyway, I'll update again midweek once we've carried out the above.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi shippingforecast, I'm sorry that you wrongly got a checklist. How is your expedite going? Is the case complete yet?

I sent my docs a couple of weeks ago. I hope I don't get nitpicked. For example, I left blank spaces where it was not applicable.

No case complete yet, we sent in a revised I-864a that they received on Tuesday, and we called them Wednesday asking to speak to a supervisor but were told that they were all busy. We then got given the standard "60 day review" script. We plan on calling again in the coming week. In the meantime I submitted another expedite request which I'm yet to hear back on...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.