BSASNOLA

IRS lost paperwork, taxes from 2013 not showing filed

8 posts in this topic

Hoping someone can advise!!

My accountant filed my taxes much later than she was supposed to - mailed Oct. 15 2014 per certified mail. Verified that they were in receipt from tracking number - but the IRS has no documentation they received my taxes nor the w-7 application for my husband's ITIN number.

I also put in an expedite request, not knowing this was going on and surprisingly got a yes!! So now the embassy has all of my paperwork, including my AOS I-864 which I mailed in a copy of my taxes that were to be filed.

No I am extremely worried that I will have to re-submit the w-& and taxes and could hold up the process for 3 more months - and of course now it is tax season!!

Has anyone run into something like this?? What can I do?

The embassy should be contacting me within the next week to advise, but I'm hoping for the best!

Any advice will be appreciated1

~~moved to IR1 process and procedures from K3 process and procedures - OP is doing the IR1 process and wants to know if the taxes being missing will affect her AOS~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Hoping someone can advise!!

My accountant filed my taxes much later than she was supposed to - mailed Oct. 15 2014 per certified mail. Verified that they were in receipt from tracking number - but the IRS has no documentation they received my taxes nor the w-7 application for my husband's ITIN number.

I also put in an expedite request, not knowing this was going on and surprisingly got a yes!! So now the embassy has all of my paperwork, including my AOS I-864 which I mailed in a copy of my taxes that were to be filed.

No I am extremely worried that I will have to re-submit the w-& and taxes and could hold up the process for 3 more months - and of course now it is tax season!!

Has anyone run into something like this?? What can I do?

The embassy should be contacting me within the next week to advise, but I'm hoping for the best!

Any advice will be appreciated1

Have the accountant prepare for you a COMPLETE tax return and ask what supporting documents you need to attach--i.e. W-2's, 1099, etc--and submit that to the USCIS. You do not have to submita tax transcript, but it is the perferred method, but a COMPLETE tax return is also an option.

Good luck,

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello BSASNOLA, i am in the same position unfortunately. I filed my amended 2013 taxes much later than i was supposed to. As of today the IRS website shows they have accepted my return but it it still pending to be adjusted. When i try to print out my 2013 tax receipt, it just states there is a verification of non-filing. Im worried the tax receipt will not reflect the correct information by the time i have to send the I-864. Please keep me updated how your case goes with filing a complete tax return and supporting documents as Dave&Rosa suggested. Thanks!

I will definitely keep you updated! We did get an interview request and nothing was mentioned about information missing in my I-864!

So hopefully there will be no issue and a bit of relief for you! Will let you know after March 2nd!

• 4 weeks later...

AC SQRD - We got approved for our visa!! The officer seemed really nervous when asking questions (I think it was his first times) and he said something about the AOS and I could see there was a page marked. So I just started to explain what happened and how the IRS lost it. He said the AOS is important, but not the only factor and then approved us!!

I had submitted all of my "would be filing" and other info for the previous 2 years. All good!! So relieved.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

AC SQRD - We got approved for our visa!! The officer seemed really nervous when asking questions (I think it was his first times) and he said something about the AOS and I could see there was a page marked. So I just started to explain what happened and how the IRS lost it. He said the AOS is important, but not the only factor and then approved us!!

I had submitted all of my "would be filing" and other info for the previous 2 years. All good!! So relieved.

Good luck!

Congrats BSASNOLA, thats great news! Sorry for the late reply, been busy trying to get our IV and AOS packages together. Just about done and ready to finally ship these babies off. All the best to you and enjoy every minute of being at the end of your visa journey

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.