RobertAtlantaUSA

Do I need American divorce decree translated to get married?

4 posts in this topic

Ive gotten my US embassy affirmation to marry and of the divorce, 2 pages and I got them translated to Thai. Will the MFA need my 3 page divorce decree? If so, does it need to be translated to Thai before they issue my clearance letter?

Thanks!

Edited by RobertAtlantaUSA

July 2013 Met online

Sept 2013 Met in person

Nov 2014 Engaged

Jan 23, 2015 Married

Jan 27, 2015 Filed I-130 DCF in Bangkok

Feb 18, 2015 I-130 Approved

March 2, 2015 Sent Packet 3 docs US Priority Express Mail

March 10, 2015 Packet 3 arrived US Embassy Bangkok

March 12, 2015 Received packet 4 email

March 25, 2015 Interview

March 25, 2015 Approved

March 26, 2015 Issued

March 27, 2015 Visa in hand

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

It has been eight years since we married in Bangkok, but we did not have to have my divorce decree translated. We used an agency across the street from the Embassy to do the translation. They also took all of the paperwork to the MFA for us to get the necessary stamp. We returned to see them either the next day or two days later to get the papers back. Saved us the hassle of having to go the MFA and wait in line.

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Checking the Embassy website, it appears things have changed in the past eight years. It does not look like the MFA will want your divorce decree, but the Amphur might.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/mobile//service/marriage

A legal marriage in Thailand consists of both parties registering their marriage in person with the local Thai Amphur (Civil Registry Office). The United States does recognize the validity of such a marriage. For American citizens marrying either Thai citizens or another American citizen, the procedure is the same. For Americans marrying a third-country national, their prospective spouse must also follow a similar procedure with their own embassy.

Procedure

Complete an affidavit at the U.S. Embassy. The affidavit form, available in our office or you may download a copy of the form here (PDF 42KB), includes all of the information required by relevant Thai law. The form must be completed and notarized at the Embassy. The notarial fee is $50 per seal. Make an appointment for a notary service.

Have the notarized affidavit translated. List of translators in the Bangkok area (PDF 50KB).

Take the affidavit and translation to:

Legalization Division

Department of Consular Affairs

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

3rd Floor, 123 Chaeng Wattana Road

Tung Song Hong, Laksi District, Bangkok

Tel: 02-575-1057-8, Fax: 02-575-1054

NOTE: this office is located in a northern suburb of Bangkok, approximately 30 minutes drive from the Embassy.

Take the affidavit and supporting documents to a local Amphur and register yourselves as married. The Amphur will also require the following documents:

Your U.S. passport;

Identification for the other party, such as a Thai citizen's identification card; If either party is under the age of twenty, written permission from the parents with Thai translation);

If either you or your fiance have been previously married the Amphur will want to see proof that prior marriages have been terminated. Divorce or death certificates should suffice. These documents, if available, should be translated into Thai prior to presentation at the Amphur.

The Amphurs office will provide a marriage certificate. Have the marriage certificate translated and take it for legalization at:

Legalization Division

Bring the legalized marriage certificate to the Embassy for authentication. Make an appointment for a notarial to authenticate the marriage certificate. The notarial fee is $50 per

seal.

This last step is important if you wish to register your marriage in the United States.

NOTE: The U.S. Embassy DOES NOT register marriages and neither do we keep copies of individuals marriage certificates. To register your marriage in the United States, you need to contact the office of the Attorney General of your state of residence in the United States

Edited by rin and john

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

Filed: Timeline

Checking the Embassy website, it appears things have changed in the past eight years. It does not look like the MFA will want your divorce decree, but the Amphur might.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/mobile//service/marriage

A legal marriage in Thailand consists of both parties registering their marriage in person with the local Thai Amphur (Civil Registry Office). The United States does recognize the validity of such a marriage. For American citizens marrying either Thai citizens or another American citizen, the procedure is the same. For Americans marrying a third-country national, their prospective spouse must also follow a similar procedure with their own embassy.

Procedure

Complete an affidavit at the U.S. Embassy. The affidavit form, available in our office or you may download a copy of the form here (PDF 42KB), includes all of the information required by relevant Thai law. The form must be completed and notarized at the Embassy. The notarial fee is $50 per seal. Make an appointment for a notary service.

Have the notarized affidavit translated. List of translators in the Bangkok area (PDF 50KB).

Take the affidavit and translation to:

Legalization Division

NOTE: this office is located in a northern suburb of Bangkok, approximately 30 minutes drive from the Embassy.

Take the affidavit and supporting documents to a local Amphur and register yourselves as married. The Amphur will also require the following documents:

Your U.S. passport;

Identification for the other party, such as a Thai citizen's identification card; If either party is under the age of twenty, written permission from the parents with Thai translation);

If either you or your fiance have been previously married the Amphur will want to see proof that prior marriages have been terminated. Divorce or death certificates should suffice. These documents, if available, should be translated into Thai prior to presentation at the Amphur.

The Amphurs office will provide a marriage certificate. Have the marriage certificate translated and take it for legalization at:

Legalization Division

Bring the legalized marriage certificate to the Embassy for authentication. Make an appointment for a notarial to authenticate the marriage certificate. The notarial fee is $50 per

seal.

This last step is important if you wish to register your marriage in the United States.

NOTE: The U.S. Embassy DOES NOT register marriages and neither do we keep copies of individuals marriage certificates. To register your marriage in the United States, you need to contact the office of the Attorney General of your state of residence in the United States

:thumbs:

Brady's a cheater

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.