psalyach

Visa Type Question --nanny accompanying US travelers --bringing US citizen twins born in Thailand to the US

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello,

I need help for information applying for a visa for a baby sitter/care taker (a Thai baby sitter) to come to the United States. My twin (boy/girl) who will be born in Thailand in March 2015 will initially stay in Thailand for 3 months. After their CRBA/US passports paperwork/passports are ready, they will travel to the United States and live with me who is a US citizen biological father. A baby sitter will be living with me and my mom in the US and we will provide shelter/food.

As a singled-father, I will definitely need help traveling with the twins and also for taking care of them in the US. I have a Thai relative and a Thai baby sitter, living in Thailand who will be taking care of them in Thailand. After three months, I would like to sponsor a baby sitter who will come to stay at our home in the US. My cousin may also travel along temporary using a tourist visa.

Which visa is the most suitable visa and what it the timeline for processing? Should I apply for a short term help (H2B visa) or a B1 visa (accompanying US travelers) or other type of visa? Contacting US embassy in Bangkok, the staff has also pointed out another type called an expedite visa? I will definite need help bringing the twins to the United States. As a minimum, my mom who is a US citizen can also help me transporting/travelling with the twins but she is an elderly. As a minimum, we will need another Thai baby sitter person helping us.

I have also examined au-pair/nanny type visa but I do not want to go through US labor certification and wage/salary/vacation requirement for this type of visa. My understanding for an au-pair visa, that person must also has a college degree. A current baby sitter is a baby sitter/housemaid in my Thai cousin's family whom we have known her for years, she has been helping out my cousin's family for a long time.

Thank you,

Tom

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Couple of questions, your children are not yet born, where is the mother? Will she relinquish rights to the children to allow them to travel and live in the US? Why is she unable to bring the children, in other words, why MUST this babysitter be the one to take the children instead of the biological mother?

Next - do you wish for a long term solution or is this just an interim until you get settled. Are you looking for this babysitter to remain the US for a long period of time or just to simply get you back on your feet?

Finally - Why can you not hire an american nanny? Why must it be a Thai nanny? Your children are not yet born so there does not seem to be any bonds between this babysitter and your children.

Answer these questions and you will receive better advice.

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

You cannot apply for an h2b. That's not how it's done. The babysitter applies on her own merits and will be given a visa or denied. Nothing that you can do to help.

Warning you ahead of time, bringing domestic help is often frowned upon by CBP. Many grandparents have been turned down saying that they are entering to act as a babysitter or assist with child are. It's deemed possibly taking work away from an American citizen

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

The correct visa would be a H2B visa, which will be a tall - if not impossible - order for a nanny without any [recognized] qualifications and considering your time frame. A B-1 visa would be applicable if she were accompanying you for a visit only - not with the intent of staying the US for an extended period.

Your best bet is to find and hire a nanny in the US and have her on staff when you land. Despite what you may think, flying with two infants is not all that much more complicated than flying with one - just make sure that you book them as children, not infants, so that each will have its own seat assigned giving you the room and comfort a long haul trip warrants.

Good luck.

Edited by JohnR!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The Employer applies for a work visa, h2b is seasonal peak load visa, not for a full time position.

B1 is not appropriate either.

Also wondering where the mother is in all of this.

Best bet would be to ask your Mother to help find someone locally, avoids all the issues.

I know Airlines can provide assistance with older children, no idea how it works with babies, no harm asking.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Have you considered finding someone in the US to help you? It would certainly avoid all the visa processing/costs.

If they will be born in March 2015, there is not enough time to grant a visa at this point.

:yes:Intelligence trumps muscle... Imagination trumps both! :yes:

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Cd. Juarez, Mexico
Met: January, 2006 :D
Marriage (if applicable): 2012-10-26 (L)
I-130 Sent : 2014-08-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-08-04

I-130 NOA2 : 2015-05-14

Shipped to DoS: 2015-05-22

Received at NVC: 2015-06-01

Case Created at NVC: 2015-06-10 (from Julian Date calculation)

AOS and IV Fee Invoiced: 2015-06-11
AOS and IV Fee Paid: Website down as of 06-15... Just waiting...
AOS and IV Fee Paid: 2015-07-05 CEAC site finally UP! :dancing:

AOS and Civil Docs received at NVC: 2015-10-13

NVC checklist for obsolete i864: 2015-11-25

Submit updated i864: ?????? when my lawyer desires... :clock:
Submit updated i864: Did NOT wait for lawywer. Did it myself 2015-12-10
NVC received reply to checklist i864: 2015-12-10 (yes.. same day O.O)

NVC case completed: 2016-01-07
NVC assigned interview date: 2016-01-23
Interview at CJS consulate: 2016-03-30

Visa "Issued": 2016-04-05
Entered the US: 2016-04-27

SSN Arrived: 2016-05-07 ... wow TEN days!

N-400

Filed Online: 2020-06-30

NOA: 2020-07-01

Biometrics Letter: 2021-04-08
Biometrics Appointment: 2021-05-03
Interview Scheduled/Cancelled: 2021-06-25 (never received online nor mail notification, just an email reply to tier 2 inquiry about status)

Interview ReScheduled: 2021-11-02

Interview Date: 2021-11-30

Oath ceremony Scheduled/Cancelled/Placed in Line: 2021-12-01
Oath: 2022-1-24 ... JOURNEY OVER! 😺

event.png

event.png

Timeline

Thanks to all replied. Even though I don't think all the details are needed, I would offer additional info here if it would help explain my situation better.

Babies will be born through a surrogacy/egg donor (which are two separate persons). Legal surrogate mother is married/has two other children of her own and she will sign a travel consent form with the appropriate Thai authority. There is no plan for a surrogate mother to come here.

I am looking for the best way to take care of the twins with my current budget. Hiring a full time US nanny for the twins maybe more than I can afford. The childs will also go to day care facility here as necessary.

Bringing a Thai nanny is a temporary position --it is not a definite solution and I am still exploring options. Another rationale for a Thai nanny is because we want to maintain the bond that will incur between the nanny and the childs after birth. This housemaid/nanny has been helping my Thai cousin family in Thailand for a long time..

The initial realistic thought is asking for a nanny applying for a tourist visa temporary with the invitation to stay at our home until the childs are a little older/easier to take care of --but thought there may be better visa options such as an expedite visa, accompanying US travelers type visa, etc.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

You can discard that option - she'll never be issued a tourist visa under those circumstances. Even if she were, what you propose is considered immigration fraud. Your only legal option at this point is to hire a nanny stateside and adjust your budget so that you're prepared for the additional expense.

The initial realistic thought is asking for a nanny applying for a tourist visa temporary with the invitation to stay at our home until the childs are a little older/easier to take care of --but thought there may be better visa options such as an expedite visa, accompanying US travelers type visa, etc.

Edited by JohnR!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

A visitor visa is for visiting, you need a work visa.

One of the requirements of any work visa is that you have to pay the going rate so it would not make any difference from a cost perspective assuming it was practical in the first place.

On the bonding aspect, the person you employ could perhaps go to Thailand with you for the birth and initial period.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Your plan will never work, No way no how.

If it was easy to get a tourist Visa or Nanny visa to USA then I would have already hired 2 girls from Vietnam, 2 From Thailand, and 2 from Philppines to work in my house.

OP are you even sure you are allowed to have the kids leave Thailand, You seem pretty un informed on Visas.

What visas/passports are the babies going to use to enter the USA?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I wonder how that would work at the CBP, does the surrogate have rights to the children? What if an agent requires documentation to such effect?

Regardless - it sounds like you want to hire a Thai nanny for many reasons, one of those reasons is cost. You think that it will be cheaper yes? When in fact, as stated above, you must pay US going rates for a nanny

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

What visas/passports are the babies going to use to enter the USA?

Seemingly he can pass on US Citizenship and will get them US passports.

I seem to remember a similar ish story involving an Australian couple, one of the children had some sort of birth defect and they only took the healthy one.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Your plan will never work, No way no how.

If it was easy to get a tourist Visa or Nanny visa to USA then I would have already hired 2 girls from Vietnam, 2 From Thailand, and 2 from Philppines to work in my house.

What a great idea! If I ever get rich, I think that I'll hire one British male and one South African male just to read books to me :P Edited by Transborderwife

Timeline

Thanks to all replied. Even though I don't think all the details are needed, I would offer additional info here if it would help explain my situation better.

Babies will be born through a surrogacy/egg donor (which are two separate persons). Legal surrogate mother is married/has two other children of her own and she will sign a travel consent form with the appropriate Thai authority. There is no plan for a surrogate mother to come here.

I am looking for the best way to take care of the twins with my current budget. Hiring a full time US nanny for the twins maybe more than I can afford. The childs will also go to day care facility here as necessary.

Bringing a Thai nanny is a temporary position --it is not a definite solution and I am still exploring options. Another rationale for a Thai nanny is because we want to maintain the bond that will incur between the nanny and the childs after birth. This housemaid/nanny has been helping my Thai cousin family in Thailand for a long time..

There is a lot you don't know and the details will become paramount. This is Thailand we are talking about and this is a very unusual situation. A lot of big dreams formed on clouds of poor information.

There wont be any nanny with a tourist visa. The Thai nanny idea is fine but wont be allowed in America.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.