Multivitaminico

Why is the application fee still so expensive? (Merged)

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Peru
Timeline

$700

Where is this cost really coming from? The bio-metric fee is $85 OK.

Where is the rest coming from?

Is this cost really just for some paper exam, interview, they add your information, the ceremony, thank you are a citizen now

Last year, I applied for a fee waiver, and despite being unemployed for 2 years, not having basically anything on my name, only $100 on my bank, having a brother who is disabled and food stamps, living with parents, having school debt, etc, they still denied my request, is like basically you need to be extremely poor, living under a bridge with no home, or be disabled yourself, basically leeching off the government, for them to even consider approving you.

Now, I heard that some people were able to become citizens by only paying $200-300 with a low income plan, how did they do it, I don't see any option for this on the fee waiver form, let alone the whole website, there is no option to pay at least half the fee, whatsoever.

Why can't they offer that option on their forms, so you can pay half the fee, only if you qualify based on your annual income, they just straight up only give you the "pay nothing, pay $0" option, which basically disqualifies EVERYONE, except for the extremely poor which are a very small percentage like 2-3%, basically as a way to force all residents to straight up pay the regular fee. They don't offer the "pay half" option, because they know, millions of residents, if not the majority, will qualify for it.

I only make minimum wage now, how am I supposed to afford this fee, when I can barely pay my rent, food, and stuff, living paycheck to paycheck.

Why haven't they lowered the cost, considering that we are in a recession, how difficult can it be just to lower it to 400 for example, greedy bastards.

What do I gain from becoming a citizen anyway, nothing except the fact that now they cannot take away my residence, and I can stay overseas all the time I want with my american passport, yet I'm $700 short now, that could have been used for something that actually matters

Edited by Multivitaminico

N-400 CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

06-26-2010 = Eligible to apply for Naturalization based on the 5-year rule (90-days rule applied)
01-06-2015 = N-400 packet sent (to P.O. Box Dallas via USPS Priority Mail)

01-12-2015 = N-400 packet delivered

--- = Check cashed
--- = NOA1 received (Priority Date --)
--- = Biometrics Letter received (Bio set for --)
--- = In line for interview
--- = Interview completed
--- = Oath letter received
--- = Oath Ceremony!

Timeline

USCIS is fee for service, and intended to be self-supporting.

http://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/FY15BIB.pdf

Page 133

I have heard that some people were able to pay only $200-300 under some low income plan.

YET, I don't see any option in the whole website, to apply to pay HALF or a reduced fee for low income residents.

Why can't they straight up offer this option to apply based on your annual income?

The only form to apply for something similar, is the fee waiver, which is to apply to pay nothing, you basically need to be extremely poor and be leeching off the government full time, for them to approve this. Obviously, they would never offer a reduced fee for low income residents, because they know, the majority will qualify for it.

I have read all the forms, and none of them, mentions anything, about paying a reduced fee based on low income

06-26-2010 = Eligible to apply for Naturalization based on the 5-year rule (90-days rule applied)

--- = Check cashed
--- = Oath Ceremony!

Timeline

You can get information on how to apply for fee waivers in the link below:

http://www.uscis.gov/feewaiver

Good luck!

lol, I already applied for the fee waiver, and despite being unemployed, nothing in my bank, student loans, debt, disabled brother on food stamps, living with parents. They still denied me, even though I sent everything perfectly.

I'm looking for a way to pay a reduced amount, like $300-400 for example, why can't they offer this option? I don't see any mention of this on their forms and website, yet I have heard from many people that they were able to pay a reduce fee based on low income, how did they do it?

The fee waiver to pay zero, is useless, probably out of the thousands that apply, only a dozen are approved, basically you have to be an extremely poor case.

I bet if I were to send another fee waiver form with my application, telling them that I'm willing to pay a reduced amount of $350-400

They would still deny my request, even though they are still getting paid, just a bit less

I'm sure of it

--- = Check cashed
--- = Oath Ceremony!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Why not ask these people how they did it?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

USCIS is fee for service, and intended to be self-supporting.

http://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/FY15BIB.pdf

Page 133

And that is why USCIS operations were not affected by the government shutdown in 2013.

Timeline

Why not ask these people how they did it?

The few that I asked, all the they say, is that they used some lawyer that did all the paperwork for them, seriously? lol

So, if I pay some lawyer to make the paperwork for me, and I get denied again, now I'm poorer than before

Why can't they offer the option that based on your annual income, you can qualify to pay a reduced fee, such as $350-400?

There is no mention of this on their website whatsoever. I bet if I send another fee waiver form offering to pay $400 for the application and biometrics, they would still deny me, even though I have been a resident for 9 years now, without even a single traffic ticket whatsoever

--- = Check cashed
--- = Oath Ceremony!

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

It is serious - it's a link to the USCIS website.

I believe you are correct in that there is no option for a reduced rate when you apply for the waiver. I don't recall ever hearing of it but give this thread a little more time. Someone else may have insight as to viable options for your circumstance.

lol not sure if serious

I already said that I applied for the fee waiver, and despite being unemployed, nothing in my bank, student loans, debt, disabled brother on food stamps, living with parents

They still denied me even though I sent everything perfectly.

I'm looking for a way to pay a reduced amount, like $300 for example, why can't they offer this option? I don't see any mention of this on their forms and website, yet I have heard from many people that they were able to pay a reduce fee based on low income, how did they do it?

The fee waiver to pay zero, is useless, probably out of the thousands that apply, only a dozen are approved

That sounds a little far fetched...

The few that I asked, all the they say, is that they used some lawyer that did all the paperwork for them, seriously? lol

Why can't they offer the option that based on your annual income, you can qualify to pay a reduced fee, such as $350-400?

There is no mention of this on their website whatsoever. I bet if I send another fee waiver form offering to pay $400 for the applications and biometrics, they would still deny me, even though I have been a resident for 9 years now, without even a single traffic ticket whatsoever

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Maybe there is more to your story than you are telling us -- the fee waiver process is quite straightforward, and if you meet the test, and have all the documentation, they tend to grant the waiver. But if you don't meet the test, then of course they deny it.

How does USCIS make a decision on a fee waiver request? To be eligible for a fee waiver, one of the following must be met:

Timeline

It is serious - it's a link to the USCIS website.

I believe you are correct in that there is no option for a reduced rate when you apply for the waiver. I don't recall ever hearing of it but give this thread a little more time. Someone else may have insight as to viable options for your circumstance.

That sounds a little far fetched...

I'm not looking to be approved to pay nothing, because I know that will never happen now that I have a job. I'm looking for a reduced fee option.

I find it funny how the advertise in all forums and website on the internet, about the fee waiver possibility to not pay nothing as if it was something easy and that anyone can get, when in reality, you would have to be a senior or disabled person, living in deplorable conditions, leeching off all government aid, for them to even consider you, and you would have to send 100% proof of this claims for them to approve you

They are aware that we are in a recession, and the main reason why most resident don't apply for citizenship is due to the cost, yet they still refuse to lower the price, or at least offer a reduced fee such as $350-400 based on your annual income.

Obviously, they will never offer this option, because they know the majority of resident, will qualify for it.

--- = Check cashed
--- = Oath Ceremony!

Timeline

Maybe there is more to your story than you are telling us -- the fee waiver process is quite straightforward, and if you meet the test, and have all the documentation, they tend to grant the waiver. But if you don't meet the test, then of course they deny it.

How does USCIS make a decision on a fee waiver request? To be eligible for a fee waiver, one of the following must be met:

How would you know if you have never applied for it?

How would you know, out of the thousands if not millions that apply for the fee waiver, how many actually get approved?

The process of applying for it, may be straightforward, but the approval process is not.

Do you really think the USCIS wants all poor resident to pay nothing? lol

The USCIS would never reveal that information, such as how many people apply, how many are approved and denied

--- = Check cashed
--- = Oath Ceremony!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Honestly, it is not that expensive!
You want to become a citizen right? So show them that you really want to! It is not like it's a fee that came out of nowhere!
Every single step in the immigration process cost money, we know it. Plan ahead of time and save money!

Edited by MissYoko

Richard & Chantal

"We are each of us angels with only one wing. And we can only fly while embracing each other."

.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Both my boys applied for fee waiver and were approved. They filled out the papers provided proof that they were eligible and that was it.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

I am glad you now have a job. Consider putting aside some money with every paycheck, earmarked for your naturalization fees. On the upside, there is no deadline for naturalization so you can do it at any point once your financial situation improves, and there are no drawbacks for your remaining a LPR for however long it takes.

It sucks - I get it - but it is not anything that should prevent you from maintaining your status in the country.

On a similar, yet separate note, some employers offer programs that refund naturalization application fees, while others will pay for half of your fees and let you pay the balance back through payroll deduction. Check with your company's HR if they offer anything of the kind. It won't hurt to ask.

I'm not looking to be approved to pay nothing, because I know that will never happen now that I have a job. I'm looking for a reduced fee option.

I find it funny how the advertise in all forums and website on the internet, about the fee waiver possibility to not pay nothing as if it was something easy and that anyone can get, when in reality, you would have to be a senior or disabled person, living in deplorable conditions, leeching off all government aid, for them to even consider you, and you would have to send 100% proof of this claims for them to approve you

They are aware that we are in a recession, and the main reason why most resident don't apply for citizenship is due to the cost, yet they still refuse to lower the price, or at least offer a reduced fee such as $350-400 based on your annual income.

Obviously, they will never offer this option, because they know the majority of resident, will qualify for it.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.