Ace_High

Next Steps to file for Citizenship

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Hi all, i got my green card through marriage on May of 2012. I now have a 10 year GC and on may of 2015 it's going to be 3 years.

1) Can i send my i400 3 months before my GC turns 3 years?

2) What documents should i submit with i400? I have '11,'12,'13 IRS transcripts. Is there anything else needed (Bank Statements, Lease agreements...)?

3) I have read a few posts here about letter that wants to see your state issued ID. The thing is I live in New York, however due to an expensive car insurance rates i got my drivers licence and car plates from different state. Is this going to be a problem for me?

4) How do i prepare for citizenship test? Am I going to get some sort of preparation manual from USCIS?

5) Can i file myself or hire a lawyer?

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi all, i got my green card through marriage on May of 2012. I now have a 10 year GC and on may of 2015 it's going to be 3 years.

1) Can i send my i400 3 months before my GC turns 3 years?

2) What documents should i submit with i400? I have '11,'12,'13 IRS transcripts. Is there anything else needed (Bank Statements, Lease agreements...)?

3) I have read a few posts here about letter that wants to see your state issued ID. The thing is I live in New York, however due to an expensive car insurance rates i got my drivers licence and car plates from different state. Is this going to be a problem for me?

4) How do i prepare for citizenship test? Am I going to get some sort of preparation manual from USCIS?

5) Can i file myself or hire a lawyer?

Thanks

1- Yes, provided that you have been married to your spouse for 3 years at the time you apply and your spouse has been a US citizen for three years at the time you apply. It's actually 90 days... not three months. You cannot apply 91 days early.

2- I'll let someone applying based on marriage answer this.

3- The ID helps prove that you are a resident of the state in which you are applying. You should get an NY state ID or else you'll have to demonstrate that you live in NY in some other way. What is the address on your license? You must have an address other than the one you are actually living at. Most states require you by law to get a license in their state if you live there. Make sure you are not breaking NY law. My advice; get a license from your state now.

4- Questions are available at USCIS website and you'll be given the questions again when you do your biometrics after you apply.

5- You won't need a lawyer unless you have a criminal record or an otherwise complicated case. Read the requirements in the "Naturalization Guide" available on the USCIS website.

Edited by JimmyHou

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

It is not advisable to apply for citizenship when you have an offense that is easily uncovered. Avoiding the vehicle code for NY will be uncovered and likely will cause you issues. I would correct it and wait at least a year after before applying ( fixing it and applying indicates you knew it was wrong and just making it look good for your application )

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.