California14

Want to divorce before filing AOS

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Dear member.

I have some question regarding to visa K1. I entry to U.S.A by visa K1 and we have married 1 year and we have a 4 months baby right now. I dont apply AOS yet because my husband wages doesnt match to the requirement and nobody wants to be our joint sponsor. too bad My marriage doesnt go well. To many conflict in our marriage. Can i file divorce before AOS? or what should i do?

Thank you

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Progress to Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits Forum~

~Similar topics are often discussed at this forum~

Edited by A&B

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Timeline

Dear member.

I have some question regarding to visa K1. I entry to U.S.A by visa K1 and we have married 1 year and we have a 4 months baby right now. I dont apply AOS yet because my husband wages doesnt match to the requirement and nobody wants to be our joint sponsor. too bad My marriage doesnt go well. To many conflict in our marriage. Can i file divorce before AOS? or what should i do?

Thank you

Too bad your marriage did go well and you haven't adjusted status after 1yr of marriage. I think your options include working on your differences if possible and see where this will lead you to... Marriage is difficult now-a-days

Yes you can divorce, but you won't be getting a green card unless your husband is willing to sign an I-864 affidavit of support for you, which would seem unlikely.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

divorce process and immigration status are not connected.

many people think it is, but it's not.

sure, for you specifically, you not have any immigration status currently, and if you divorce, your path to immigration status is depleted.

Sorry, is hard decision for you two.

However, you might seek marriage counselor immediately, try to resolve differences with marriage counselor. Most marriage counselors have singular focus to save marriage - through exposing failure points and teaching both spouses how to be successful inside of the marriage. You two should go, immediately, and try for 3 to 4 months of meetings with a marriage counselor.

If there were no child, I would suggest you simply return to Indonesia. Since there is a child, it is your responsibility for both parents to be strong for this child, preferably together.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

divorce process and immigration status are not connected.

many people think it is, but it's not.

sure, for you specifically, you not have any immigration status currently, and if you divorce, your path to immigration status is depleted.

Sorry, is hard decision for you two.

However, you might seek marriage counselor immediately, try to resolve differences with marriage counselor. Most marriage counselors have singular focus to save marriage - through exposing failure points and teaching both spouses how to be successful inside of the marriage. You two should go, immediately, and try for 3 to 4 months of meetings with a marriage counselor.

If there were no child, I would suggest you simply return to Indonesia. Since there is a child, it is your responsibility for both parents to be strong for this child, preferably together.

We have been going to marriage conselor but it does not work. Too many conflict and fighting. If i divorce before AOS, how do i can get GC? or if i file AOS and in the middle of processing i divorce what will happen?

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

If you divorce or separate before AOS chances are your application will not be accepted. The presumption is that at the time of AOS the couple be together living as a married couple, which seems not to be your case.

I would try to resolve the situation amicably, but if there is no reconciliation, you might consider getting your child and returning home, instead of staying without status in the US, where eventually you'll find yourself as an undocumented immigrant.

We have been going to marriage conselor but it does not work. Too many conflict and fighting. If i divorce before AOS, how do i can get GC? or if i file AOS and in the middle of processing i divorce what will happen?

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

You are asking for fraud when you have intention to divorce but still wants AOS jointly.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

You can't - will have to go home.

Timeline

You can't - will have to go home.

My mother in law and my step father in law dont want i back to home. They want to help me being joint sponsor. What if i and my husband make agreement. We file AOS and i get my GC and after i get my GC we divorce. What will happen if i take this way?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

My mother in law and my step father in law dont want i back to home. They want to help me being joint sponsor. What if i and my husband make agreement. We file AOS and i get my GC and after i get my GC we divorce. What will happen if i take this way?

You'll commit a fraud, interesting thing about it will be whole family will be involved in it...

Timeline

You are asking for fraud when you have intention to divorce but still wants AOS jointly.

I think is not a fraud if we both have agreement because my mom in law wants i stay in US. She doesnt i back to home.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I think is not a fraud if we both have agreement because my mom in law wants i stay in US. She doesnt i back to home.

what specific problems do you and your husband have that make you want to divorce him after a year? Are they problems that cannot be fixed?

K1 Visa Event Date Service Center : Texas Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F: Sent 9/5/2014

I-129F: Arrived at Lewisville 9/8/2014

I-129F: NOA1 Text message/mail 9/11/2014

I-129F: Alien Registration Number Changed 9/16/2014

I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014

I-129F: Name Change request made 10/31/2014

I-129F: Crickets as of today

Timeline

You'll commit a fraud, interesting thing about it will be whole family will be involved in it...

So is that mean i can get my GC? They dont want i back to home.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.