AA100

Visa Granted to Mother but Father got rejected (merged)

40 posts in this topic

Hi VJ Members,

In summers earlier this year, My father (70 years of age) applied for a visit visa to US. My cousin who is very well established in US sent him the invitation. I did not send any invitation documents because I had only been in US for 7 months. But at the interview, the visa officer asked following questions:

Q. Where is your Son?

A. In US

Q. What do you do?

A. I am retired

My father retired long time ago but he has been maintaining the operations of a late friend's business and is a salaried employee. My father upon my advice did not mention anything about me being a US resident in the application form. He also mentioned that he is retired even though he works. His visa was denied on the basis that he could not show ties and was unable to prove that he would return back to his homeland.

I intend on bringing my father on a visit early next year. Taking into consideration the pervious interview, what advice would you guys give to me while filling out his application form this time.

Your input is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi VJ Members,

In summers earlier this year, My father (70 years of age) applied for a visit visa to US. My cousin who is very well established in US sent him the invitation. I did not send any invitation documents because I had only been in US for 7 months. But at the interview, the visa officer asked following questions:

Q. Where is your Son?

A. In US

Q. What do you do?

A. I am retired

My father retired long time ago but he has been maintaining the operations of a late friend's business and is a salaried employee. My father upon my advice did not mention anything about me being a US resident in the application form. He also mentioned that he is retired even though he works. His visa was denied on the basis that he could not show ties and was unable to prove that he would return back to his homeland.

I intend on bringing my father on a visit early next year. Taking into consideration the pervious interview, what advice would you guys give to me while filling out his application form this time.

Your input is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Make sure he understands to not lie again when asked questions at the embassy OR if he is ever granted a visa, at the POE.

Your cousin didn't realize he shouldn't have sent him anything. Neither should you.

He applies solely on his own merits including the ability to prove beyond doubt he must return to his country. You can assist him by helping him with the application but the most important aspect is indicating why he must return and he must do that.

I suggest he uses his age, culture, language, other family, the need to return to operate the business & income from that job as reasons to return.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

A lot of it is about credibility and having lied once how do you regain it?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Isn't there a question on the visa application that asks for relatives in the US? What did your father write for that question?

Difficult to gain that trust back

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

A lot of it is about credibility and having lied once how do you regain it?

I would think once you lied you would be flagged and probably now it would be almost impossible to get a tourist Visa.

I think in this case the OP was their own worst enemy

Thanks guys for all your comments. Let me make this clear first. My father did not lie. I told him not to mention anything about me in the application. He is 70 year old man and has never been in a situation like that before. But at the interview when he was asked if he has any relatives in US, he told them yes my son lives in US. My mother applied on the same exact documents that my cousin sent and she got her visa. The reason he said that he is retired is because he is really not actively working. He looks after his friends business out of care and in return he gets minimal salary. I know it appears that he lied but actually he didn't.

I would like advice from VJ members on how to approach the interview and the application form this time.

Thanks a lot

Edited by AA100

Make sure he understands to not lie again when asked questions at the embassy OR if he is ever granted a visa, at the POE.

Your cousin didn't realize he shouldn't have sent him anything. Neither should you.

He applies solely on his own merits including the ability to prove beyond doubt he must return to his country. You can assist him by helping him with the application but the most important aspect is indicating why he must return and he must do that.

I suggest he uses his age, culture, language, other family, the need to return to operate the business & income from that job as reasons to return.

Thanks guys for all your comments. Let me make this clear first. My father did not lie. I told him not to mention anything about me in the application. He is 70 year old man and has never been in a situation like that before. But at the interview when he was asked if he has any relatives in US, he told them yes my son lives in US. My mother applied on the same exact documents that my cousin sent and she got her visa. The reason he said that he is retired is because he is really not actively working. He looks after his friends business out of care and in return he gets minimal salary. I know it appears that he lied but actually he didn't.

I would like advice from VJ members on how to approach the interview and the application form this time.

Thanks a lot

Edited by AA100

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Thanks a lot

Form you mentioned typically requires to list location of your relatives and that form is signed by him.

So how did he exactly answer the question on the location of his family ?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

For the next attempt it is best to mention that he runs operations for his friend's business, his friend could also write a basic letter saying

"So and so runs my business operations at company X from the date ____. I have given him permission to take some time off to visit the US and he is expected to return on (date). (doesn't have to be specific date maybe month and year)."

I think the reason he was denied was because he did say he is retired and the US government is concerned with people becoming public charges. They see him as a risk to overstay his visa because he is retired AND has family in US, more likely that he would want to stay with his relatives, especially his son. I am not saying your father would ever do this, but this is how the immigration officers are trained to think.

If your father owns any property in his home country, demonstrating that would help. Car insurance, home ownership.

I also heard some people prepare an itinerary to demonstrate that they have a planned return date.

I hope this helps and best of luck!

K-1 Visa

Service Center: Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate: Mumbai, India

Met at University in UK: 2010

Engaged in India: 03/31/2014

I-129F Sent: 06/20/2014

NOA1: 06/25/2014

NOA2: 12/16/2014

NOA2 Hardcopy Received: 12/23/2014

Case Sent to NVC: 12/23/2014

NVC Case Number Assigned: 01/05/2015

Case Sent to Consulate: 01/08/2015

Case "Ready" at Consulate: 01/09/2015

Applied for PCC: 01/20/2015

PCC in hand: 02/23/2015

Medical: 01/23/2015

Completed DS-160 and paid visa fee: 02/20/2015

Interview: 03/13/2015 APPROVED :)--> Same day went into AP

Visa "issued" on CEAC webstie: 03/16/2015

:goofy: :goofy: Visa in hand! 03/18/2015 :goofy::goofy:

POE: 06/04/2015 :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

AOS Journey

06.11.2015- City Hall Wedding

06.29.2015- Mailed AOS Package

07.01.2015 - Package Delivered at Chicago Lockbox

07.02.2015- Date Received as per USCIS

07.09.2015- NOA1 for EAD/AP

07.24.2015- RFE :ranting:

08.13.2015- USCIS accepted RFE response

09.08.2015- EAD received

Waiting for the interview :clock:

12.19.2015 WE GOT THE GREEN CARD IN THE MAIL!!!!! No interview :)

ROC

10.25.2017 ROC packet received by VT Service Center

11.02.2017- Received NOA dated 10.26.2017

11.29.17- Completed Biometrics

Waiting for the interview :clock:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If he did not mention you he lied.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

Not revealing he has a son here, then a cousin sends an invitation letter raised a red flag

That's in their computer and he signed that app. so that stands, retiring and helping a

friend can be explained, but omitting a child in the US will not get him a visa, apply

for citizenship and after petition him, also mom has a visa, these applications are checked

out B4 you even get an appt. date at embassy, the COs mind are about 70 % made up

then one goes in and prove they will return home ,

For the next attempt it is best to mention that he runs operations for his friend's business, his friend could also write a basic letter saying

"So and so runs my business operations at company X from the date ____. I have given him permission to take some time off to visit the US and he is expected to return on (date). (doesn't have to be specific date maybe month and year)."

I think the reason he was denied was because he did say he is retired and the US government is concerned with people becoming public charges. They see him as a risk to overstay his visa because he is retired AND has family in US, more likely that he would want to stay with his relatives, especially his son. I am not saying your father would ever do this, but this is how the immigration officers are trained to think.

If your father owns any property in his home country, demonstrating that would help. Car insurance, home ownership.

I also heard some people prepare an itinerary to demonstrate that they have a planned return date.

I hope this helps and best of luck!

Thank you Dohan. I appreciate your input. I will get in touch with you if I need some help. I hope you wouldn't mind.

Very bad idea to not be truthful on the application because it could lead to a permanent denial including the ability to ever become an LPR. Lying by omission is considered lying for these purposes. It's good that at least he told the truth to the CO, but everything said to the CO should coincide with the application.

Also letters of invitation are of no help whatsoever, this cannot be stressed enough around VJ. On the contrary, they often times do more harm than good because the applicant has to prove their own ties and assure the CO that they are not an intending immigrant. If letters of invitation were of any help, more people would be approved.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.