jeffkadrliktorr

license/driving concerns

10 posts in this topic

So i live in Idaho, arrived on a K1 visa. Still no green card (AOS submitted in March, received NOPIW notice end of June. Just had a couple concerns.

On the Idaho DMV website, it says that visitors to Idaho can drive legally on the foreign license for up to one year. I haven't been able to afford to get my Idaho license yet, have i been/am i driving illegally? Since technically im not a visitor.

Im also afraid to drive my own car, because i dont have insurance (which is illegal in Idaho).

Can someone please let me know if im being really stupid by driving without these things and risking my ability to get the green card if i got caught?

I really dont have the option of not driving because im the only income earner in my household right now and the public transport in Boise ID is .

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I can see that technically driving without a license and insurance might be problematic.

Not sure what sort of comments you are expecting.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Same counts for MA. When i talking with a police officer about it he mentioned So long your car is ensured you have a valid "foreign" license they normally don't ask any further questions if its a normal check. If your speeding or getting a fine it's a different story. I drove for almost a year with my foreign license and never had a issue. obey the rules and you'll be fine.

Got my learners permit a couple weeks after i got my greenncard and my license 2 months after that.

Timeline

The rules include having a valid license and insurance ......

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Penalities for driving uninsured car in Idaho

First offense: $75 fine; subsequent offenses: up to $1,000 fine and/or up to six months in jail.

I am pretty sure if you'd get involved in the accident it would be much much worse.

It is not where I breathe but where I love that I live.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Penalities for driving uninsured car in Idaho

First offense: $75 fine; subsequent offenses: up to $1,000 fine and/or up to six months in jail.

I am pretty sure if you'd get involved in the accident it would be much much worse.

Pretty cheap

Do you have illegal Aliens in your area.

In Dallas Texas we are over ran with Illegals and if you don't have insurance they tow your car, Now if you are a illegal Alien named Pancho/Sancho/Juan then cops will let you slide without a driver licenses as long as you have insurance

Timeline

Begs the question how you get Insurance with no DL?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

In Dallas there are places that cater toward Illegal Aliens and it is common to see places selling Car Insurance ," No Driver Licenses Needed"

http://www.lafamiliainsurance.com/blog/no_license_online_auto_insurance_in_texas.aspx

Timeline

In Dallas there are places that cater toward Illegal Aliens and it is common to see places selling Car Insurance ," No Driver Licenses Needed"

http://www.lafamiliainsurance.com/blog/no_license_online_auto_insurance_in_texas.aspx

Thanks. Makes me wonder why that is not considered aiding and abetting

I bet the premiums are not cheap.

Should be okay without insurance while im able to drive my husbands car which is insured. Definitely need to organize getting my license asap though, then just insure my car so that we both can drive to work when the time comes.

Guess im just being a whiny baby, but having to do a driving a test after driving for 10 years sounds so unappealing. Just have to get on with it i suppose

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.