kristenxo

Getting married during K1 process

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My fiancé and I have been waiting on the K1 Visa since the beginning of June and are getting impatient. We are thinking if we haven't heard anything by January which would be the 7th month mark he's going to come over here and we're just going to get married. Is that something we can do even if we are technically in the middle of the K1 process? And what would that entail? I believe he won't be able to work for 90 days until he gets the employment form submitted, is this correct?

Service Center: Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

I-129F Sent: 06/05/14

I-129F NOA1: 06/10/14

ARN changed: 06/16/14

NOA2: 12/04/14- 177 days later

USCIS shipped case to NVC: 12/9/14

NVC received case: 12/16/14

NVC case number assigned: 12/17/14

Medical: 01/03/15

Case became "Ready": 01/05/15

​Received packet 3: 01/10/15

Received packet 4: 01/22/15

Interview date: 02/17/15 Approved!!

U.S. Entry: 02/26/15

Marriage: 03/02/15

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well getting married sets you back to square one.

Him coming over here to get married is legal but if the plan is to get married and adjust then that is fraud as it clear he has intent to immigrate when entering.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

we were planing the same but we couldn't accomplish our plan first I'm Syrian and it will be impossible to get the tourist visa to visit my fiancee, second it will considered a fraud

so we are waiting patiently to get the K1 visa

172 days .. nothing moves

Filed: Timeline

My fiancé and I have been waiting on the K1 Visa since the beginning of June and are getting impatient. We are thinking if we haven't heard anything by January which would be the 7th month mark he's going to come over here and we're just going to get married. Is that something we can do even if we are technically in the middle of the K1 process? And what would that entail? I believe he won't be able to work for 90 days until he gets the employment form submitted, is this correct?

If he comes to the U.S. and you guys get married and then he goes back to the UK and you file for CR-1 (spousal visa), that's okay, but getting married in the U.S., staying there and adjust status is FRAUD.

Edited by YouAndMeForever

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The minute you marry you have called your K1. You are impatient now you really will lose you mind filing a I-130 petition. Just hold on sooner rather than later it will come.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

You can certainly marry at any time you want . You will just have to understand that doing so ends the K1 process. This means you will begin again while filing for a C R 1. That's expensive, time consuming & a bad idea at this point because he will remain where he is now anyway.

You are nearly there. I know it's hard but hang in there. When you are past 'normal processing time' you have the right to call and cattle prod them. But when everything is said and done, it'll all be over and you won't ever have to be apart again.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I totally understand how you feel. Unless you can move to the UK and be with your partner until the I-130 is processed you are better off staying the course with the I-129f.

I-751

NOA8/11/17

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Spousal visas are taking awhile right now. I think people are waiting longer for a spousal visa than they are for a K-1. You should just wait for the K-1 visa to be approved.

Absolutely agree. It's almost a year now since filing my I-130 - breaks my heart to see K1 visas processed at what seems to be lightening speed, and all the while, time is going by for me, my partner, and our (nearly) one year old baby at a snail's pace. Not fun.

Counterintuitive to think that couples who aren't legally married are processed faster than those who are, but that appears to be the case right now.

Hang in there. Before veering from your current path, have a look at recent timelines for spousal visas with your consulate. That might help with your decision-making.

All the best,

Edited by Canadian Tired

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have seen this situation so many times on this site.

Please use your brain, not your heart and feeling to think with!

YOU, are so close to being finished .,., DO NOT retreat, as if you abandon your K-1, you are looking at 12-16 months, for a CR-1, and who know what obama's new edict, will do to the immigration situation.

Just hang in there, you are so close to your NOA 2, do not throw it away, and start a 12-16 month endurance test, you think K-1 was hard, try 12-16 months, not knowing how the immigration laws will effect new petitions!

Good luck and hang in there!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Early June filer.... don't back off now... you're almost there as others have said.

Really you do not want to start all over again on a process that will take longer.

Simple as that.

Mar 2011 - After 5mths denied for lost docs - Attempts to follow up failed. Mar 18 2012 - I-129F sent - No sign of NOA1 but they have banked the check...Jul 24 - Update - USCIS has located our file
Infopass Apt - they sorted through everything - our 2011 and 2012 file keep getting mixed up - getting us a Case# (still waiting) Dec- Infopass Appt- expecting to get a case # in about a week ..Still no Case number

Mar 2013 Infopass - advised file was in a box somewhere,and it would be quicker for us to refile. Life gets in the way... New petition submitted July 2014 .
I-129F Sent : Jul 28 2014
TSC received: Aug 04 2014
I-129F NOA1 : Aug 06 2014
I-129F NOA2 : Feb 25 2015 (NOA2 copy rcd: Mar 02)

Sent to NVC: Mar 09 / Left NVC Apr 1 / Arr Embassy Apr 7 / Pkt 3 Rcd Apr 15 / Medical Apr 17 / Pkt 3 sent May 1 / Interview May 12

Left NZ May 15

Married Aug 10

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Early June filer.... don't back off now... you're almost there as others have said.

Really you do not want to start all over again on a process that will take longer.

Simple as that.

we are still far my friend

I'm June 10th and all the people around me have been approved or received RFE

waiting kills our souls

If you are just getting impatient, why not have him visit you while waiting for the petition to move? Maybe being able to physically console each other will help you re-ignite your patience. And then just have the beneficiary come home... Well that's if you have the means to do so. Just a suggestion :)

Either way, your petition is bound to be processed soon since you've been waiting long enough. I know it's really hard, we've all been there. Find a way to distract yourself for the mean time. That's about the only thing that helped me maintain my sanity. The approval came when I least expected it.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

we are still far my friend

I'm June 10th and all the people around me have been approved or received RFE

waiting kills our souls

If waiting kills your souls you really don't want to consider going near a CR1, especially as Obamas new plans could well make things even worse. Hang in there!

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.