slh33

Visa Denial and Second Try

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi,

I am new to this website but I found it at the advice of a co-worker/friend who is going through trying to bring her husband over to the US as well. Anyway, here's my situation:

3 years; 6 months ago My fiance' from Morocco had his visa interview. He said it was only 5 minutes long. He said the CO asked him questions about where I lived. He knew the town in which I lived and the state (At the time it was Chase City, Virginia). However, he was asked what the closest city was and did not know. He also was asked where I went to school and also did not know (I never discussed that with him). Anyway, after failing to answer these questions, he was denied the visa and given the 221 g Letter immediately. It just so happened I got laid off that same day of the interview (worst day ever, tears the entire day). Anyway, It took me months and months to find another job, but I did and I had to move to Idaho, then Washington St (where I currently live). We re-filed for the K-1 (The last visit was December 2012/Jan 2013). This second time we re-filed I hired an immigration lawyer. He has been less than helpful, but that's another topic. Anyway, I want to know what we need to do to pass this second interview. We have been together a total of 7 years. I have been to visit him 3 times, and even after the first rejection and 3 years later, we decide to re-file. Does anyone have any good advice? His interview is on December 22nd. This could be the best or the worst Christmas of my life if he doesn't get it this time around. Please, I'm begging for some sound advice. With Sincere Thanks:-)

There are plenty of example questions that could be asked located in various places on VJ- practice these together and make sure he knows every single answer! Definitely have him read the reviews for his embassy (also on VJ) where people have posted their experience and what they were asked as this will also help him prepare. It sounds to me like if he gets that bit right this time you'll be absolutely fine.

I'm sure more experienced VJ members will have tonnes more useful advice for you also! Good luck! :)

Edited by Pheebs1201

Immigration Timeline

June 2013: Met whilst working at a summer camp in Michigan 

K1

November 1st 2014: I-129f submitted for K1 visa

February 24th 2015: Visa in hand!

February 26th 2015: POE at Las Vegas airport, then onwards to Oregon! 

March 6th 2015: Marriage (with a "real" wedding to follow next year on 7/6/2016)

March 9th 2015: AOS, EAD & AP submitted

September 22nd 2015: Interview

January 14th 2016: Two year Green card received -phew!

ROC

August 8th 2017: 90 day window begins! ROC time!

September 28th 2017: Biometric Appointment in Portland, OR

March 5th 2018: Case received by local office

August 18th 2018: 18 month extension letter mailed

December 2018: Case moved to another office

February 2019: I was emailed that I was approved and my card was in production the same day of my N400 interview 😂

N400

August 8th 2018: Window opens to submit naturalization application

August 13th 2018: N400 Application submitted online 

August 14th 2018: NOA1

September 6th 2018: Biometrics

February 6th 2019: Interview Date! APPROVED!

February 6th 2019: I was asked to return later the same day for my Oath Ceremony! :dance:

❤️ Our Visa Journey is finally complete ❤️

I am the Beneficiary

Timeline

Thank you Pheebs1201. I am trying my best to prepare him. I am beyond nervous, and hoping for a better outcome compared to last times, awful experience. I'm hoping that the fact we got rejected the first time, refiled and have another interview 3 years later and re-filed with a lawyer counts for something. I will be devastated if he does not get it the second time around.

My advice is for you to go to the Moroccan Consulate section and read all of the reviews. I mean read ALL so you familiarize yourself with the actual process. Then you and your husband need to practice on how to answer all of the questions. Go over and prepare for all of the questions with him so he will be comfortable on how to answer all of questions.

Sorry to hear about the prior denial but the good thing is that you guys are together for the long run. And when he is approved, the positive thing is that he will qualify for the 10 year visa versus the conditional 2 year one.

Best wishes and keep in touch to let us know how the interview went.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Libya
Timeline

I would first of all see if you can attend the interview with him. Some embassies allow it.

Is the 221 indicating that the consulate staff think it is a fraudulent case? If so, that is going to be really hard. Just telling you what I have learned from my research. My fiance was denied a student visa twice so I looked into previous denials somewhat.

Lastly, I would just say practice. There are a lot of websites and YouTube videos with potential questions they could ask, and he has to know the details about your life. Your school is kind of a big part of your life, so your fiance should know that information.

If it is denied again, you can always just get married in your fiance's country then file the I130.

Good luck!

19-Sept-14: I-129F Delivered

23-Sept-14: NOA1 (I-797C ~ Texas Lockbox accepted I-129F)

24-Sept-14: NOA1 (E-mail & Text)

Sent to California Service Center

3-Nov-14: Requested expedite by mailed letter with UN Human Rights Reports (Humanitarian Situation)

14-Nov-14: NOA2 (I-129F Petition Approved ~ E-mail & Text)

1-Dec-14: NVC Received Case

2-Dec-14: NVC Case Number Assigned

9-Dec-14: Embassy Received

3-Feb-15: "Package 3" Received/Turned In

25-Feb-15: "Package 4" - Received Interview Date

19-Mar-15: Interview ~ Approved

27-Mar-15: Visa Issued

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

As others have said, read all of the Moroccan reviews. Be sure he knows all about you and where you live as well as family. If you did not front load, be sure he brings more evidence, and if you can be there, at least waiting outside, that would be a plus too. They may question why it took so long to reapply, maybe not. Good luck

01/28/2013 I-130 package sent

01/31/2013 Notice of Action Date After POE
02/01/2013 Received e-mail and text notification of acceptance
11/26/2013 Applied for SS#
02/04/2013 Received hard copy NOA1 (case not found in on-line system) 12/02/2013 ELIS site still states "accepted"
03/12/2013 Transferred to the local office 12/27/2013 received green card
04/10/2013 Case still not found in on-line system
04/15/2013 INFO-PASS appointment

05/01/2013 NOA2 sent petition approved

NVC Stage...of course it has to be complicatedreading.gifrolleyes.gif

05/09/2013 Case received by NVC

05/23/2013 Received case #'s from NVC

05/23/2013 DS-3032 sent from husband's e-mail

06/03/2013 First day I can not access payment portal

06/04/2013 AOS Fee invoiced and payment made

06/04/2013 DS-3032 resent with Supervisor Review

06/05/2013 DS-3032 acceptance e-mail

06/05/2013 AOS Fee shows "PAID"

06/06/2013 AOS package express mailed

06/07/2013 IV bill invoiced and payment made (still waiting on documents from Hubby)

06/08/2013 IV package express mailed

06/25/2013 IV reviewed - Checklist (2 errors, Birth document & date on DS-230)

06/26/2013 Requested supervisor review by e-mail & verbal request for birth document (fingers crossed)

06/27/2013 AOS accepted

06/28/2013 Checklist response sent for corrected DS-230 (I had my husband sign extra's just in-case)

08/02/2013 NVC requested a supervisor review on the checklist item over 20 business day window

08/05/2013 Case Complete!!! kicking.gif

08/27/2013 Interview Assigned

10/30/2013 Interview

11/04/2013 Pick up Passport

11/12/2013 POE @ JFK

Timeline

Thanks everyone..You're responses are very helpful. Now one thing, I cannot attend the visa interview with him because, I just can't afford to go there. Now is something like that going to count against me? Also, we are practicing with him knowing all the information about me. I'm just afraid that they will ask him 1 question he may not be able to answer and poof...a seven year relationship is down the drain. Thank you for your help and I will definitely keep everyone posted. I have been looking over the reviews and I have found some very helpful information. Thanks again.

So when he was denied last time, was the reason given something about your relationship not being bonafide? And no, not being able to go to the interview will not count against you. Not all interviewers allow the US citizen to come up/in during the interview anyway.

You've been together for 7 years. You should know a lot about each other by now.

Timeline

iammrsregi,

From what I understand when he was denied the last time, they didn't necessarily not believe it was bona fide, they felt like they needed more evidence, at least that's what my lawyer told me when I was considering an appeal and he reviewed the letter my fiance' got. I couldn't do the appeal because I didn't have work and by the time I got work, time ran out. Anyway, I just don't understand how they could say we needed more evidence when they didn't even look at what he had. He couldn't answer where I went to school so that means he doesn't know me??? Please that's absurd. He knew I was in school, he knows I am in school currently for my doctoral degree, but honestly beyond that, we don't talk about it. It doesn't mean he doesn't know me. I think they were making it difficult on purpose.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

... I'm just afraid that they will ask him 1 question he may not be able to answer and poof...a seven year relationship is down the drain. Thank you for your help and I will definitely keep everyone posted. I have been looking over the reviews and I have found some very helpful information. Thanks again.

Not to sound cynical, but after seven years, you would think he should know everything there is about you, including the closest city to your home and where you went to school. In under a year my fiance (now wife) knew:

1. The exact city I was born & birth date/year (which was asked of her in the interview).

2. What college I attended (which was also asked of her).

3. How many rooms are in my house (again, also asked of her).

4. How many children my sister has and their names, (you guessed it, also asked of her).

Also asked of her at the interview:

5. My parent's full names and ages.

6. My dog's name.

7. The day of our engagement and where it transpired.

8. My home address and cellphone number.

9. Two towns that are close or border my hometown.

10. Which town I work in.

And this knowledge was without routine practice, but just stuff we talked about every day, so it was easy for her to answer. Maybe a better question would be, what did you two talk about the past seven years? The CO's only ask questions any genuine couple should know. In your case, the CO most likely assumed a couple of seven years would have no problems answering the questions he asked.

My advice would be to engage more deeply in conversation and pay attention to what you each have to say, even the little things that seem insignificant matter (like how many rooms are in your house).

Timeline

Mike-eeh and Odie,

Thanks for this. We weren't together for 7 years when he tried for the visa the first time. We were together for 3. Anyway, he does know these things, so it will be easy for him to answer those, I'm just afraid he will be nervous and get confused or something. Anyway, we are going to practice as much as we can before the interview. That is something we did not do the last time. Thanks for giving me those sample questions.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

iammrsregi,

From what I understand when he was denied the last time, they didn't necessarily not believe it was bona fide, they felt like they needed more evidence, at least that's what my lawyer told me when I was considering an appeal and he reviewed the letter my fiance' got. I couldn't do the appeal because I didn't have work and by the time I got work, time ran out. Anyway, I just don't understand how they could say we needed more evidence when they didn't even look at what he had. He couldn't answer where I went to school so that means he doesn't know me??? Please that's absurd. He knew I was in school, he knows I am in school currently for my doctoral degree, but honestly beyond that, we don't talk about it. It doesn't mean he doesn't know me. I think they were making it difficult on purpose.

I think you are correct in saying they are making it difficult but its Morocco which seems to always be that way. These questions such as about the school are ridiculous. You being at the interview wouldn't change anything except the cost and your stress levels.

Once they get the evidence you may find the case is put in A P which is very difficult to endure. Check to see how many of these K 1 cases end up in A P.

I think you should consider marrying so you could file for a C R 1. Even then you will need tons of evidence but at least it makes it more difficult to be denied in Morocco.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

It's not as much about answering questions as it is how it looks to a CO. It is 3 years later and you still aren't married. A CO may think you aren't committed to each other. Be sure you have in your evidence at interview why not married why not more visits. 3 visits over 3 years isn't that much. How long were each visit?

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

Dwheels76,

I can't afford to go there every year, I am in school full time working on my doctoral degree, AND I had to move 10 states away from my family and friends just to find a job. So, my last visit was in December 2012/Jan 2013. Each visit I had was at least 14 days or longer. If they want to know why we haven't married its because I don't have enough time off from work that it takes in order to get married in Morocco. So he can explain that. I don't think it looks bad that we haven't married. I think it looks good that even though we got rejected the first time, we are still together and tried again WITH a lawyer this time. That shows commitment at the very least. If he doesn't get the visa this time, then I will have to go there and marry him, they would leave me no choice.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.