12 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I am posting here as I seriously could use some guidance on filing the Adjustment of Status paperwork containing the AOS, EAD, AP.. etc. You know, THAT whole thing. I understand the basics, I.E. How to fill out the forms, where to send it, the cost of the packet when filing all three together etc.,... thanks to these wonderful forums, I've even found some very thorough examples of cover sheets and suggested "ordering" of the documents when I submit them. So here is what I just simply do not know: How many packets to I send? When doing the K-1 nonimmigrant Fiancée Visa, there were several documents required, but in a very specific order, with a cover sheet and table of contents, they were all placed neatly in document protectors and all placed inside a single 1" 3 ring binder. From post office to Visa in hand, took about 4 weeks, maybe 5. But now that was ALL for a like purpose, and all to the same person. It was the I-129F Petition. So what I am specifically asking is, and I hope someone can have some insight on this, seeing as I am submitting a AOS, EAD and AP... should I place them in 3 different packets and treat them (organizing wise) as 3 different petitions (although I am mailing them and filing them concurrently to avoid lengthy processes and unnecessary fees.) So I know it might be silly but ANYONE with experience I would love to hear from. Do I make 3 packets (AOS, EAD, AP) and mail them all together, or make 1 big packet and just of course label everything in the table of contents and cover letter? Thank you for your time and help.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Introducing our Members to Fam.-based AOS Forum~

~Inquiry about AOS process~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Put all three in the same envelope, but separate each of the three forms with their corresponding supporting documents using paper clips or binder clips. Attach the check to the front form.

Lainie,

Thank you for that tip. So I will for sure separate all 3 with their necessary documents for each. But are you saying clipping them together is fine? I was going to get 3 1" 3 ring binders and place each (AOS, EAD, AP) in their own binders. Will this cause confusion? Is it better to just clip each group together and stick the loose leaves in a envelope and mail it with the check? I just want to make sure I can knock this out one shot one kill, as I did with the K-1 (I-129F) packet. But again, all that from the previous went into the same binder as it was just the single purpose.

Furthermore, I am curious about the Advanced Parole. I was asked about a specific date on the form? I thought it is just something to have on hand. My husband is in the military and if he deploys, I would like to return home for the duration of that deployment. However, its hard to know this far in advance, when he might deploy. Also, for how long. Any advice on that?

Sorry for such question about the packet and its presentation, as I know they are more of cosmetic questions than hard fact info type questions. But again, I want it to be presented and received correctly. Maybe I can put them all in document protectors, clip them together as you had suggested, and then slide them into the envelope. Skipping the 3 ring binders for such a large submission.

There is no right or wrong way to put the package together - you can put it together however you choose. However I would think about the person who has to review your package. Paper clips or binder clips are best because they are going to pull apart your documents and organize it in the way they want. Placing them into a binder will only make more work for them.

It is important to make sure that each of the three forms has it's own supporting documents attached, since the forms get sent to different places.

I am wondering why is your package so large that it needs 3 binders? There is not much that needs to be submitted for each form, particularly the I-765 and I-131. A paperclip should do for each.

You can put "date unknown" and "length of time unknown" on the AP form. You don't have to specify a date. Even if you did specify a date, you are not locked into that date, once you are approved you can use it for any trip you choose.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Lainie,

Thank you for that tip. So I will for sure separate all 3 with their necessary documents for each. But are you saying clipping them together is fine? I was going to get 3 1" 3 ring binders and place each (AOS, EAD, AP) in their own binders. Will this cause confusion? Is it better to just clip each group together and stick the loose leaves in a envelope and mail it with the check? I just want to make sure I can knock this out one shot one kill, as I did with the K-1 (I-129F) packet. But again, all that from the previous went into the same binder as it was just the single purpose.

Furthermore, I am curious about the Advanced Parole. I was asked about a specific date on the form? I thought it is just something to have on hand. My husband is in the military and if he deploys, I would like to return home for the duration of that deployment. However, its hard to know this far in advance, when he might deploy. Also, for how long. Any advice on that?

Sorry for such question about the packet and its presentation, as I know they are more of cosmetic questions than hard fact info type questions. But again, I want it to be presented and received correctly. Maybe I can put them all in document protectors, clip them together as you had suggested, and then slide them into the envelope. Skipping the 3 ring binders for such a large submission.

I put them ALL in one binder and have had no issues. Just made a table of contents and put the paperwork in order in the clear sheets in the binder.

Lainie it's not that I have so much to send, I just wanted it all clear and concise. So I was going to separate each one. Just cuz, but no it's not that much stuff.

Also I feel I'm running into ANOTHER problem. I'm looking at ALLLLL the medical paperwork that was done prior to the K-1 visa being issued. Even the 6 pages of junk that was in a sealed envelope. There's a ton of medical stuff, however, NOT A SINGLE FORM is titled I-693. I'm freaking out now because I have every single thing needed, have the money, forms all organized and signed like literally EVERYTHING, even a 8 page medical thing given to us by the doctors that we were told we had to go to by the embassy. I mean, it's legit, that's how we got the visa in the first place. All forms are in English etc... But again, none of them at all are I-693...

They are all DS forms .. Like DS 3030, DS 3025, DS 3026 etc...

Have NO idea what to do now

The medicals that are performed outside the US for visas don't use the I-693. That's why you won't find it in your medical package. The I-693 is only used by civil surgeons inside the US.

The only form from the medical you have to submit for the AOS is the DS-3025 - the vaccination sheet. If your vaccinations were incomplete, then that's when you need the I-693 as well.

Lainie... That's the best news I've heard all freakin' day! I was panicking for real like dang, ain't no way we can get back to okinawa to fix this medical BS.

And again about the 3 separate binders... It was more of a clear and concise way of presenting the material really. I wanted each application and supporting documents to have their own binder so there would be no confusion to anyone what a certain piece of evidence or document was for. But ten I got confused, and was being cheap, and started wondering if I separated all 3 like that then it might look suspect as to where the filing fee was for the EAD and AP. Lol. Perhaps I'm chasing the rabbit down the hole... I dunno. Presentation always means a lot to me. But like you had said made little bit of sense in that, consider the person that's revceiving the package. Although, if how I'm mailing it is the biggest of my concerns, then I'm pretty confident I'll get it sorted out just fine.

Fingers crossed...

Any recommendations as to mailing it to the express address or the normal one given?

Lainie... That's the best news I've heard all freakin' day! I was panicking for real like dang, ain't no way we can get back to okinawa to fix this medical BS.

And again about the 3 separate binders... It was more of a clear and concise way of presenting the material really. I wanted each application and supporting documents to have their own binder so there would be no confusion to anyone what a certain piece of evidence or document was for. But ten I got confused, and was being cheap, and started wondering if I separated all 3 like that then it might look suspect as to where the filing fee was for the EAD and AP. Lol. Perhaps I'm chasing the rabbit down the hole... I dunno. Presentation always means a lot to me. But like you had said made little bit of sense in that, consider the person that's revceiving the package. Although, if how I'm mailing it is the biggest of my concerns, then I'm pretty confident I'll get it sorted out just fine.

Fingers crossed...

Any recommendations as to mailing it to the express address or the normal one given?

Using 3 separate binders is only for your benefit, not USCIS. The first thing they do is strip all the paperwork out of the binders and toss the binders in the trash. The 3 separate applications can be placed together (each one separated of course) directly into an envelope. In our case, to make it easier for us when mailing, we had the cover letter for each application paperclipped to the top of each. The check for AOS can just be paperclipped to the very top of your papers.

I mailed using USPS express mail to the express mail address. They received our AOS package the next day.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

That makes perfect sense... Yea. Ok I'm officially ditching the 3 binder course of action. Lol. Thanks guys and I REALLY appreciate it. This site helped the K-1 visa process which was semi difficult but successful, and now it's alrady paying off for the AOS process. Thank you all so very much and stay tuned... Bet money I have more questions

That makes perfect sense... Yea. Ok I'm officially ditching the 3 binder course of action. Lol. Thanks guys and I REALLY appreciate it. This site helped the K-1 visa process which was semi difficult but successful, and now it's alrady paying off for the AOS process. Thank you all so very much and stay tuned... Bet money I have more questions

You have questions, we have answers lol.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.