xduncanx

Just arrived and Pregnant

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Hi everybody,

My wife and I have recently immigrated to MN, USA. We are both from NZ, born and raised, but my wife holds American citizenship through her mother. I immigrated on a CR-1 visa.

We have been here for 5 weeks getting established when we found out yesterday that my wife is about 8 days pregnant. I have just recently got a job which has a health program but I cannot start the program for a month. We are currently covered by our travelers health insurance but that does not cover pregnancy.

What can we expect in term of care? What should we do? We want to be excited but are scared we have put ourselves into a bad position.

Thanks in advance

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Moving to the US and Your New Life In America from Major Effects on Immigration~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Most OBs won't even see a pregnant woman until she is 9 weeks. Check with your employer's insurance, usually they have a website, to see what the coverage for a pregnancy is. It varies from company to company and plan to plan as to what you will have to pay and who you can see and where you can deliver.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everybody,

My wife and I have recently immigrated to MN, USA. We are both from NZ, born and raised, but my wife holds American citizenship through her mother. I immigrated on a CR-1 visa.

We have been here for 5 weeks getting established when we found out yesterday that my wife is about 8 days pregnant. I have just recently got a job which has a health program but I cannot start the program for a month. We are currently covered by our travelers health insurance but that does not cover pregnancy.

What can we expect in term of care? What should we do? We want to be excited but are scared we have put ourselves into a bad position.

Thanks in advance

You don't need to rush to a doctor at 8 days pregnant. There's no sense in incurring that expense. You can wait a month or two.

As for what to expect, health care in this country is life shatteringly expensive. With health insurance, marginally less so.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Technically she's likely 3-4 weeks pregnant in medical terms. The counting of weeks begins on the first day of her last period, not conception. So your wait time is a little less to see an OB than expected. There's lots of things to consider ie: are you set with using an OB or would you consider a midwife? Is home birth an option? Are there any health reasons why this could be a high risk birth (ie. health reasons, age, etc). Lots to think of.

I'm not an expert so if I'm wrong I'd gladly be wrong on this one. My only concern about you starting a health plan in a month is that this may be deemed a pre existing condition and not be covered. I really hope that this is wrong as it seems wrong.

Edited by Transborderwife

Most big employers (50+ people) - cover everything including pre-existing conditions. Read your health coverage brochure - should define all terms in the first couple of pages.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Pregnancy is not illness, don't worry for now. For the first 9 weeks of pregnancy doctors do nothing important. Even for 12 weeks none of the important tests being done.

Find out if your insurance is going to cover her pregnancy. If not, you still have time to find one that does.

I have kids. My opinion going to the doctor earlier than 12 weeks in to pregnancy is waste of time and money.

ROC VSC mailed 5/7/14

NOA1 5/9

Check cashed 5/14

Biometrics current

RFE dated 12/18

RFE mailed 1/20

Approved 2/2 ! ( letter came from the local office)

Card received 2/17/15 !!!!

I have kids. My opinion going to the doctor earlier than 12 weeks in to pregnancy is waste of time and money.

You obviously didn't have problems conceiving, having repeat pregnancy losses or getting diagnosed with blood clotting disorder(s) = reasons why some women need to be seen as soon as they get pregnant so they can get proper medications and the necessary follow up to keep their pregnancies.

I know this is not the case with OP, but sweeping generalizations and your determination when one needs to be seen by a doctor don't help.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

You obviously didn't have problems conceiving, having repeat pregnancy losses or getting diagnosed with blood clotting disorder(s) = reasons why some women need to be seen as soon as they get pregnant so they can get proper medications and the necessary follow up to keep their pregnancies.

I know this is not the case with OP, but sweeping generalizations and your determination when one needs to be seen by a doctor don't help.

Lets not get into medical problems. From what I understood, OP wife is pregnant at the moment, and has no complains about her health. So answering to his concerns, there is no urgency to see the doctor in the very early stage of pregnancy.

I actually had 2 difficult pregnancies. But all problems happened in latter stages.

ROC VSC mailed 5/7/14

NOA1 5/9

Check cashed 5/14

Biometrics current

RFE dated 12/18

RFE mailed 1/20

Approved 2/2 ! ( letter came from the local office)

Card received 2/17/15 !!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Most big employers (50+ people) - cover everything including pre-existing conditions. Read your health coverage brochure - should define all terms in the first couple of pages.

Actually that's the law:

https://www.healthcare.gov/health-care-law-protections/pre-existing-conditions/

If your new employer has health insurance available you should sign up for the best options that fit your family's needs. They cannot and will not deny you coverage.

You will most likely be officially covered the first day of the first month after you begin employment. For instance if you start today, November 22nd, your start date of coverage will be December 1st. I am assuming you will meet with your HR manager and have the option to sign up that day.

When you do sign up at your new employer remember that coverage time frame and ask your employer. I say this because most employers will have multiple options for health care insurance and to be quite honest it is very confusing even for the experts to decide which is best. So take your time and select the appropriate plan for your needs but be sure to decide and sign up in time to be covered at the next "interval."

If for some reason your employer does not offer a plan that suits your needs that is exactly what "Obama Care" is all about. Same website as above but the homepage: https://www.healthcare.gov/

Good luck.

- Maxx

Edited to fix todays date. LOL

Edited by maxxnys

Her: Ukraine

Me: USC

Met online: 07/2013

Met in person- Ukraine: 11/2013

We were not serious but just friends.

She visited 05/2014

Engaged 07/2014

Married 08/2014

Mailed I-130, I-485, I-765, G-1145: 11/22/2014

Electronic text/email NOA1 with 3 receipt numbers: 12/02/2014

NOA1 - I-797 in mail: 12/05/14

Biometrics Notice I-797c: 12/12/14

Biometrics Taken: 12/23/14

Email interview notice: 01/06/15

I-765 EAD Approved: 02/03/15

Interview Date: 02/10/15 - Approved notice and card ordered via email 4 hours after interview.

I-130 approved: 02/10/15

I-485 approved: 02/10/15

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Start taking prenatal vitamins -many are sold over the counter- and get an appointment with a healthcare provider when you are 8-9 weeks (from your last period, not conception). You'll have insurance by then.

Oh, do you guys know her blood type? If she is Rh- watch out for bleeding and go see a doctor if it happens. It's unlikely, but she might develop antibodies against the baby in that case.

Good luck!

Edited by a+j

- I am the beneficiary -

Hi everybody,

Thanks in advance

don't worry I have an idea for you, first wait for 2 or 3 months to go to Health Department at your county, there is some social workers they will help for pregnant women apply Medicaid if not you pay for some hundreds to see the doctors and test or ultrasounds until you born baby and then the day you are in The hospital there is financial department worker will come to see you and guide you how to apply emergency Medicaid after that you can apply emergency Medicaid and your baby automatic have Medicaid a year. Believe me I was born two kids without payment for hospital fee. Conglations for new baby, relax to take care yourself

12/27/13 - NVC received I-130 approval package

01/31/14 - Fill the form DS-261

02/04/14 - AOS fee show PAID

02/10/14 - IV fee show PAID

08/08/14 - Sent civil documents

10/01/14- checklist for police certificate

10/14/14- scanned checklist

12/04/14 - CC

03/30/15- interview

Pregnancy is not a pre existing condition, and due to the federal mandate insurances cannot deny coverage to those who are pregnant. Do not be alarmed, you cannot be denied. Your insurance, with your wife added to it, will be covered just fine when it kicks in. However to see how good your new coverage will be and expense incurred, you'll have to refer to your insurance information/plan.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Congrats on the pregnancy :)

As mentioned, most docs won't even see you until you are >8 weeks pregnant. As stated, pregnancy is counted from last menstrual period so if she's 8 days late then she's counted as 3 weeks pregnant. She's a US citizen so I am sure she's eligible for Medicaid at the very least. There is no problem though waiting until your insurance kicks in after a month. If she has problems before that, go to the ER; the law dictates that she has to be provided with emergency care regardless of insurance status.

5/2/14 - Marriage to USC (Australian citizen on E-3 visa)

6/20/14 (Day 0): AOS package received at Chicago Lockbox
6/24/14 (Day 4): Text notification of receipt (I-130, I-131 and I-765 "Initial Review", I-485 "Accepted")
6/30/14 (Day 10): Received NOAs and biometrics notice for 7/24
7/7/14 (Day 17): Walk-in biometrics at Pittsburgh ASC
7/30/14 (Day 40): Email update: I-485 has moved to "Testing and Interview" stage

8/20/13 (Day 61): Text notification: I-131 and I-765 approved, "Card Production" status

8/28/14 (Day 69): Text notification: EAD/AP card mailed

8/29/14 (Day 70): EAD/AP card received

9/10/14 (Day 82): Text msg of case update - interview date notice mailed

10/16/14 (Day 118): Interview - approved. Text update of "card production" status
10/20/14 (Day 122): Received welcome letter

10/23/14 (Day 125): Received green card

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.