Mariana M.

To say that you've bought tickets - how bad is it?

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Sorry about the long post, I wanted to make the situation clear.

Before anything, please don't patronize me, I'm already beating myself up enough!

So I had my medical on the 3rd and my interview on the 4th. I was approved, and the consul said that when my medical got there the visa would be issued (if everything was ok, of course). He said that it should be in my hands in 2 weeks.

I looked at Brazil K-1 VJ timelines and it seemed that everyone got theirs in 1 week.

For personal and complicated reasons, my family and I decided to buy the tickets already - for the 26th, Wednesday. No refunds, no rescheduling. For my mother, my brother and I.

Well, my visa status had an update on the 12th and one yesterday, the 19th. Still on AP. Two days ago I got an e-mail from the consulate (because I had asked) saying that the visa is still pending approval because it is waiting on my medical.

The doctor provided me a tracking number. Everything was delivered to the consulate on the 6th.

If my visa is not issued tomorrow, I don't have a chance of getting it in time. Tomorrow is already risky.

Today is a Brazilian holiday and out of all the US consulates, only the Rio one is closed.

They don't take phone calls about immigrant visas. Only e-mails, and that's 3 days to respond.

Tomorrow morning my fiance will try to call and see if they talk to him.

Lesson learned - if you're thinking of doing that, DON'T.

Now my question is: I know they advise you not to make any trip arrangements before you have your visa. But if we told them so, could that do any harm? Could they purposefully delay my visa or something like that, or the worst I can get is a "we told you so"?

I doubt that anyone possibly has an accurate answer, but I'd appreciate opinions.

Timeline

Hi,

I wouldn't mention anything about the ticket because I don't think they care about it since, as you said before, they recommend not to make any trip arrangement. At the same time I don't think they would delay on purpose, I guess they would be fair and process in their normal speed. I know how bad it is when we do know we didn't take the best decision and people keep on saying Ohh you shouldn't..I told you so. YEAH, WE ALREADY KNOW but our excitement is huge and sometimes hard to control.

HOPEFULLY they will work tomorrow because so many things in Dtown Rio will be closed (I work in Dtown and my office is not going to fully work) and simultaneously I would e-mail them explaining and saying your medical results got there on the 6th. Couple weeks ago I e-mailed them due to an issue with my I-94 record and they replied me couple hours later, so I guess you could try that.

Good luck!!

Timeline

And one more thing: I would try and have your fiancé calling the airline company! For so many times I bought non-refundable tickets and when I called customer service in the US they changed according to my needs. He can try and explain the situation as it is and see what they say! Going to the gate is also another try. Last time I was in the States this lady from United gave me additional two days with my boo with no issues!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to Embassy/Consulate forum -- topic involves that stage and is of general interest. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

And one more thing: I would try and have your fiancé calling the airline company! For so many times I bought non-refundable tickets and when I called customer service in the US they changed according to my needs. He can try and explain the situation as it is and see what they say! Going to the gate is also another try. Last time I was in the States this lady from United gave me additional two days with my boo with no issues!

Awesome, thank you! It is United :) But the first flight is Gol, so I don't know about going to the gate.

Oh and I did tell them my medical got there on the 6th two days ago, but no reply yet.

Edited by Mariana M.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Holy sticky mess Batman!

My 2-cent worth: Wait until you have confirmation that your visa is on the way, so you can gauge when it will arrive. With that information you can call the airline and try to convince them to let you change the dates, for a penalty. You may need to do some crying, begging and grovelling.

Another possibility is that once you find out your visa has been mailed, you can try and contact the courier company and attempt to intercept and retrieve the package at their warehouse or distribution center. You may need to have the courier put a hold on it and get on a plane to Rio to pick it up in person.

Good luck! I hope your visa gets to you on time for you to get on that plane on the 26th.

Edited by JohnR!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

Awesome, thank you! It is United :) But the first flight is Gol, so I don't know about going to the gate.

Did you buy with Gol or United? I've been lucky with United tho. I would try and call just in case and explain the situation. I guess they wouldn't mind to transfer you if they have something in the time range you need with the same price. To be honest I think it is easier to change the ticket than counting on the Embassy speed!

If the main carrier is Gol maybe you should try call, if United your fiancé can give a call. I have had good experiences with Gol as well and if I am not mistaken they changed my flight from Philly without issues. If they don't want to change ask if you can not transfer me your ticket and I pay you (Just kidding). My fiancé is trying to come for New Years but the prices are crazy (He lives in Virginia and everything from VA is expensive - Almost 2K).

Timeline

Did you buy with Gol or United? I've been lucky with United tho. I would try and call just in case and explain the situation. I guess they wouldn't mind to transfer you if they have something in the time range you need with the same price. To be honest I think it is easier to change the ticket than counting on the Embassy speed!

If the main carrier is Gol maybe you should try call, if United your fiancé can give a call. I have had good experiences with Gol as well and if I am not mistaken they changed my flight from Philly without issues. If they don't want to change ask if you can not transfer me your ticket and I pay you (Just kidding). My fiancé is trying to come for New Years but the prices are crazy (He lives in Virginia and everything from VA is expensive - Almost 2K).

Hahah

Well, dear, the mess gets bigger: I bought it on Decolar.com. They are extremely unlikely to be flexible, but I'll try everything tomorrow as soon as the consulate closes.

It's 3 flights: Gol, then United, then United again.

I paid 1087 dollars! It was a good deal considering it's Thanksgiving.

Timeline

Ohh and so just you know, I walk around the American Embassy everyday (I work less than a half mile from there) and I have noticed that the lines have been pretty long lately (Probably people going to the States for the holidays and also possible backlog since the system was down for a little while). So I would try and have another option (The airline option) than just counting on them!

I hope everything goes well! :)

Timeline

Holy sticky mess Batman!

My 2-cent worth: Wait until you have confirmation that your visa is on the way, so you can gauge when it will arrive. With that information you can call the airline and try to convince them to let you change the dates, for a penalty. You may need to do some crying, begging and grovelling.

Another possibility is that once you find out your visa has been mailed, you can try and contact the courier company and attempt to intercept and retrieve the package at their warehouse or distribution center. You may need to have the courier put a hold on it and get on a plane to Rio to pick it up in person.

Good luck! I hope your visa gets to you on time for you to get on that plane on the 26th.

Yes, that's another option I thought of, trying to go to Rio and pick it up. That will be nothing compared to the worst.

Thank you! :)

Timeline

Hahah

Well, dear, the mess gets bigger: I bought it on Decolar.com. They are extremely unlikely to be flexible, but I'll try everything tomorrow as soon as the consulate closes.

It's 3 flights: Gol, then United, then United again.

I paid 1087 dollars! It was a good deal considering it's Thanksgiving.

Bypass Decolar! I always buy there as well (Well, I like to pay in 5-6 times, lol) and just call the carrier. It is never too much to give a try but I am not sure if you have to call both carriers.

I don't know if you need go to get to SP and then fly to Houston and the final destination OR you're going to Miami with Gol and then having United for your connections and final destination. Just give a call, it's never too much!

When I went in June I had United and Gol as well and I was able to change my flight at the gate (I didn't notice my flight from VA was going to Guarulhos but my flight back to Rio was supposed to depart from Congonhas). The nice lady noticed that and asked me if I was aware..I was shocked and she hooked me up and gave me an additional day with my boo! :)

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

You are talking about 3 tickets @ $1087 apiece. If you end up losing them, the airfare for you to go to Rio and pick up the visa will pale in comparison.

You're welcome and good luck!!!

Yes, that's another option I thought of, trying to go to Rio and pick it up. That will be nothing compared to the worst.

Thank you! :)

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

Bypass Decolar! I always buy there as well (Well, I like to pay in 5-6 times, lol) and just call the carrier. It is never too much to give a try but I am not sure if you have to call both carriers.

I don't know if you need go to get to SP and then fly to Houston and the final destination OR you're going to Miami with Gol and then having United for your connections and final destination. Just give a call, it's never too much!

When I went in June I had United and Gol as well and I was able to change my flight at the gate (I didn't notice my flight from VA was going to Guarulhos but my flight back to Rio was supposed to depart from Congonhas). The nice lady noticed that and asked me if I was aware..I was shocked and she hooked me up and gave me an additional day with my boo! :)

Whoa we have so much in common hahah

That's the same flight! It's Porto Alegre - Rio with Gol, then Houston and Austin with United. Yeah, I'll try to call them first.

And my mom and brother's return flight is that one with the change of airport in SP. I'll tell them to try to get a flight on the same one.

Thanks again!

Timeline

Whoa we have so much in common hahah

That's the same flight! It's Porto Alegre - Rio with Gol, then Houston and Austin with United. Yeah, I'll try to call them first.

And my mom and brother's return flight is that one with the change of airport in SP. I'll tell them to try to get a flight on the same one.

Thanks again!

Lol.

But that's good that you knew what you bought. I had no idea I had connections in two different airports. They can easily change that if they have flights going to POA from both airports an I believe they do! Anyways I hope the Embassy moves faster! I can't wait for my interview if everything goes well (No NOA2 yet!)

Good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

OP.,,.,you broke the ""number one rule of vj.com".,.,., NEVER, EVER, but a ticket to anything, even a "chicken fight" UNTIL you have a visa ""in hand"".,., I know you know that but so many others do not know!

And it is a great rule to live by when going through the process!!! NEVER, EVER!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.