3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Hello all,

Today my husband and I had our interview for his greencard. Our appointment was at 1:35 and we got there early. They called us in at about 1:45. We had brought an interpreter with us but the immigration officer said one was not needed because my husband's English was good enough.

She seemed nice, but she was still very serious about it all. She asked questions: Address, who do you live with, who supports you, what do you do for work, etc. Then she read the list of questions that all were "no." My husband sometimes asked her to repeat the question and she would get kind of annoyed at that but he wanted to make sure he answered everything honestly with a complete understanding. This is exactly why we brought the interpreter but the officer said she was not needed.

She then asked us when we got married, who proposed, when did we get engaged, how we met, etc. I told her that my husband is my mom's cousin. This is legal in California. She went on to ask "Is this allowed here?" I said, "Yes, it is." She then asked us about our future plans. We told her we planned on moving out after I graduate college, and to start looking for jobs for the both of us. She asked if those were the only plans we had for this year and next. My husband mentioned that we are going to have a party of January 9, 2015 as a moving out party with my family.

We gave her pictures of our small court wedding. She asked why the person who married us wasn't in the pictures. I said because the lady specifically asked us not to take pictures until after the ceremony was over because it would interrupt her. Our officer did not look at the other 50 pictures that we brought of our relationship.

She took copies of our ids and passports, and then said "If we need anything else we will contact you." We thanked her and she walked us to the door.

The thing is, I have read that everyone else gets some type of LETTER stating their current status. We didn't recieve anything! She didn't even give us our interview letter back.

I'm very worried because I do not know what do next or what to expect. Can anyone give me any words of advice? Thank you.

Filed: Timeline

Check your status online over the next couple of weeks and wait.

I'm surprised that she didn't give you any indication about what will happen next or when you will get the green card. However, I suspect that since your husband is Afghani, they might spend a bit more time on the background checks.

Good luck!

Edited by landr

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Check your status online over the next couple of weeks and wait.

I'm surprised that she didn't give you any indication about what will happen next or when you will get the green card. However, I suspect that since your husband is Afghani, they might spend a bit more time on the background checks.

Good luck!

Yeah that's what I'm worried about that too. At the time I didn't know she was supposed to hand me a letter or anything. But he already had a background check when he was getting his K-1. And thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.