insipidtoast

How does one pass the visa interview?

18 posts in this topic

Assuming an applicant already submitted all the necessary documentation correctly, and passed the medical exam, what is the point of the visa interview at the embassy/consulate?

Is the interview basically a formality where one takes a legal oath? What would cause a spouse to not pass the interview? I just can't imagine how a person wouldn't pass the interview.

September 25th: I-130 Emergency petition filed at US Embassy in Lima.

October 3rd: I-130 Petition Approved.

October 10th: Consular Section sent checklist and notification scheduling my spouse's visa interview for November 13th.

The interview is not "basically a formality." The interview is a chance, for the approving consular officer, to have you, in person, answer any questions about materials in your application that, while they might appear genuine and correctly filed, may still be questionable or unclear, even though they might not at first review warrant an RFE.

The CO still can choose not to approve your visa if they determine, through the interview, that there is a reasonable probability of fraud, even if your documentation all appears correct.

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

The interview is very much not a formality, try telling that to the people who have to go through high fraud embassies!

The consular officer is there to interview you in person and to determine if the relationship is genuine. Its easy to fill in forms but harder to answer potentially difficult and searching questions in person.

Edited by Hotter Otter

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

It is possible. COs can find if relationship is fake through the interview. They are trained for this job.

N-400 Timeline
04/02/19 N-400 Submitted online
04/22/19 Biometrics
11/05/19 Interview (Approved)

ROC Timeline

Service Center: California

08/11/17 I-751 Packet delivered to USCIS

09/18/17 Biometrics Appointment

08/17/18 2nd extension letter (additional 6 months)

11/02/18 New card is being  produced (Approved)

NVC
11-04-2014 NVC case receive

05-20-2015 Visa received

10-06-2015 Time to kick back and let it fly

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The way it is. Many are a formality, some are not.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Assuming an applicant already submitted all the necessary documentation correctly, and passed the medical exam, what is the point of the visa interview at the embassy/consulate?

Is the interview basically a formality where one takes a legal oath? What would cause a spouse to not pass the interview? I just can't imagine how a person wouldn't pass the interview.

You may not can imagine but real legitimate couples get denied every day at every embassy in this world. It happens. In many cases it could be very weak evidence submitted. Just because UCIS approved doesn't mean a CO at interview will.

Go read what ebunoluwa said the Co told her why she denied "she had a gut feeling they didn't have what t takes for a happy marriage".

There's many reasons why people get denied and please don't think this is a formality. Not even. Your embassy isn't exactly a cake walk so please take it serious.

Have you gone through and read the consular reviews for you country to get a feeling how CO's are there?

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

No Latin or South American consulate is to be taken lightly, although Lima is not the worst. Thank your lucky stars that you're not interviewing in a certain small neighboring country.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

As you can tell from the responses you have received it's very important not to take the interview lightly.

Things that would cause a spouse to not pass are numerous. The consular officer has a short time to decide; among other things, if it is a bona fide marriage. If there is any doubt in the CO's mind they will issue a denial.

If everything is in order there is no need to worry but certainly the beneficiary should be well prepared.

Good luck!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Certainly the interview is not a formality and definitely not in Lima, some interviews can be easier and some much much harder. Submitting all the documentations or passing the medical exams is not an indication that you are save especially if your relationship has been a rocky one.

What it will cause you not to pass, be on AP, or get the visa denied could be from anything to anything, not telling the truth for example, lying about your relationship (proving that it is a genuine one), etc.... The embassy personnel giving the interview are well trained to detect lies during the interview process. If your case is straightforward don't worry too much just be prepare to truthfully answer all the questions given.

I attended my wife's and daughter's interview in Lima and I believe it helped to show that I was there by their side, it can help your wife to feel less stress for sure as any interview can be nerve wrecking. Since you are in Lima you should consider attending the interview and be by your wife's side, just a suggestion :-)

Also double check that you have everything you need for the interview, everything it was asked on the information letter and appointment letter.

Best of luck to you and your wife!

*The material presented is intended for general information only and does not constitute legal advice*

USCIS - IR1/CR1 Wife/IR2 Daughter - K3 Wife/K4 Daughter

12/03/2013 -- I-130s Sent, 12/06/2013 -- I-130s Received                                           12/13/2013 -- I-129F Sent, 12/16/2013 -- I-129F Received           

12/10/2013 -- I-130s NOA1 Hard copies received from VSC                                         12/20/2013 -- I-129F NOA1 Hard copy from VSC           

06/05/2014 -- I-130s Alien Registration Numbers Changed                                           02/12/2014 -- I-129F Transferred from VSC to TSC hard copy                                       

06/09/2014 -- I-130s RFE Emails, 06/12/2014 -- I-130s RFE Hard copies received       02/25/2014 -- I-129F Alien Registration Number Changed

06/16/2014 -- I-130s RFE Response received                                                              07/11/2014 -- I-129F NOA2 email (207 days)

09/25/2014 -- I-130 NOA2 Emails 290 days                                                                 07/16/2014 -- I-129F NOA2 Hard copy received and sent to NVC        

NVC - K3 Wife/K4 Daughter

07-29-2014 -- NVC received I129F                                                                           

07-31-2014 -- NVC case number assigned

08-01-2014 -- Left NVC in route to Embassy in Lima

Embassy - K3 Wife/K4 Daughter

08-07-2014 -- Embassy in Lima received case from NVC                                        

08-07-2014 -- Received email interview letter and packet IV

08-18-2014 -- Completed DS-160 online                                                                 

08-21-2014 -- Medical & Vaccination completed

09-03-2014 -- Interview (Approved)                                                                        

09-05-2014 -- Visa Issued (CEAC website)

09-10-2014 -- Visa in hand                                                                                      

09-18-2014 -- Dulles VA

USCIS - AOS Wife/Daughter

12/10/2014 -- I-485 Sent - including I-765                                                            

12/11/2014 -- I-485 Received

12/16/2014 -- I-485 and I-765 NOA Received email                                             

12/20/2014 -- I-485 and I-765 NOA Hard copies received

01/09/2015 -- I-485 and I-765 Biometrics appointment                                       

01/14/2015 -- I-485 Ready for interview

02/02/2015 -- I-485 Interview notification received                                             

02/14/2015 -- I-765 Approved - EAD card production email and text

02/24/2015 -- I-765 EAD card received                                                              

03/12/2015 -- I-485 Interview Date (APPROVED)

03/17/2015 -- CR6/CR7 Welcome letters received                                               

03/21/2015 -- CR6/CR7 Green Cards received :dance:

USCIS - ROC Wife/Daughter

01/12/2017 -- I-751 Sent

01/17/2017 -- I-751 NOA Received for wife and daughter

02/23/2017 -- I-751 / CRI89 Biometrics Appointment for wife and daughter

12/26/2017 -- I-751 / CRI89 Approved for wife and daughter

Immigrant visa interviews are not to be taken lightly, especially those based on marriage. You could say that interviews where there is a biological relationship such as parent-child and siblings are usually a formality because then it's mostly a matter of the immigrant's admissibility.

However, in the case of spouses there has been so much fraud over the decades that they have really strict guidelines they have to follow when conducting these interviews. The biggest part is the relationship since that is what everything else is based on. They have to be convinced of the relationship in order to issue the visa.

You as the couple have to prove to the satisfaction of a very skeptical stranger that your relationship is the real deal. It is very heartbreaking and devastating when a couple experiences a visa denial because it means a longer time apart, and in some extreme cases a permanent denial due to being inadmissible.

So many things can go wrong during the interview if there is anything that stands out to them about your relationship. Things like language/cultural/religious barriers, large age differences, cheating on each other, not disclosing previous relationships or children, marrying someone while they are in removal proceedings, etc.

Not that these things always result in denials, but they often do and/or typically result in fraud interviews. The point here is that you have to be well prepared with plenty of evidence and ready to answer all of the CO's questions honestly and calmly. You can search through the forums about the bad experiences others have had during their visa interviews or AOS interviews.

Forgot to add that fiancé(e) relationships are also subject to stricter interviews as well.

Edited by Ian H.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Immigrant visa interviews are not to be taken lightly, especially those based on marriage. You could say that interviews where there is a biological relationship such as parent-child and siblings are usually a formality because then it's mostly a matter of the immigrant's admissibility.

However, in the case of spouses there has been so much fraud over the decades that they have really strict guidelines they have to follow when conducting these interviews. The biggest part is the relationship since that is what everything else is based on. They have to be convinced of the relationship in order to issue the visa.

You as the couple have to prove to the satisfaction of a very skeptical stranger that your relationship is the real deal. It is very heartbreaking and devastating when a couple experiences a visa denial because it means a longer time apart, and in some extreme cases a permanent denial due to being inadmissible.

So many things can go wrong during the interview if there is anything that stands out to them about your relationship. Things like language/cultural/religious barriers, large age differences, cheating on each other, not disclosing previous relationships or children, marrying someone while they are in removal proceedings, etc.

Not that these things always result in denials, but they often do and/or typically result in fraud interviews. The point here is that you have to be well prepared with plenty of evidence and ready to answer all of the CO's questions honestly and calmly. You can search through the forums about the bad experiences others have had during their visa interviews or AOS interviews.

Forgot to add that fiancé(e) relationships are also subject to stricter interviews as well.

The reality is that the interview is a formality for most people and officers determine before you even set foot in the embassy whether they will approve you or not. In these interviews, the basis is to dot the i's and cross the t's to put a face to the information presented on paper. If every interview were as scrutinizing as you suggest, the process would be slower than it already is, giving officers the chance to process very, very few cases at the embassy stage. When the CO has an inkling of doubt or fraud, that is where the difficulty lies and further questioning beyond the what is his last name-where does he work-how old is he type questioning proceeds. Furthermore, considering the interviews are videotaped, I suggest the CO have to be a little stricter in terms of questioning as a matter of meeting a quota or "standard" by their superiors. If they were to just approve everyone without being harsh (for no reasons) that would probably be viewed unfavorably by the embassy staff.

K1 Visa Event Date Service Center : Texas Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F: Sent 9/5/2014

I-129F: Arrived at Lewisville 9/8/2014

I-129F: NOA1 Text message/mail 9/11/2014

I-129F: Alien Registration Number Changed 9/16/2014

I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014

I-129F: Name Change request made 10/31/2014

I-129F: Crickets as of today

This is entirely dependent on country. In Canada or the UK, it's quite possible the interview can be a bit of a formality, however in most of the world, it certainly isn't. Being prepared is best no matter where you interview.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

This is entirely dependent on country. In Canada or the UK, it's quite possible the interview can be a bit of a formality, however in most of the world, it certainly isn't. Being prepared is best no matter where you interview.

of course you need to be prepared, but if the CO asks you what is the middle name of your 3rd sister, or if they ask you some inane question about a trip that would be impossible to remember and then they subsequently deny you, I believe they have made up their minds are looking for reasons not to give the visa as opposed to going through the typical protocol.

K1 Visa Event Date Service Center : Texas Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F: Sent 9/5/2014

I-129F: Arrived at Lewisville 9/8/2014

I-129F: NOA1 Text message/mail 9/11/2014

I-129F: Alien Registration Number Changed 9/16/2014

I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014

I-129F: Name Change request made 10/31/2014

I-129F: Crickets as of today

Used to spot fraudulent applications.

Even a legit couple might fail, because of nervousness, lack of preparation or a simple slip.

Remember, it is up to you to prove the relationship is legit, their job is to assume it isn't or at least to find the holes

For example, a fiancee might say "my husband" out of habit, when they are not yet married. That eould be a stopping point followed by a denial.

Another example, they might ask about a prior marriage; if you have never talked about your prior relationships/divorce, etc; how would she know?

The COs have been trained and use a manual. This is not to be confused to a casual conversation.

Not saying at all your relationship is not real; but the interview is not to be taken lightly.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

The interview process is extremely important as is the petition I-129F. The three phases of the K1 process is Petiion of I-129F, the Consular Interview followed by the Adjustment of Status based on the Marriage (Certificate).

Unless every piece of paperwork like a cog in the wheel is correctly aligned, you wont get the visa.

.....long but to some its worth every piece of paper or hassle

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.