afridi0729

i-864 and 864a co sponsor ?s

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

So I am trying to bring my wife from Pakistan and I am trying to get her a visa.

I payed the AOS and IV fees and I have also sent the DS-260 application online.

I am also about to send everything else to the NVC such as the civil documents and Affidavit of support documents.

But before I send the 864 financial support information, I have a few questions I want to double check on.

Basically my income is not enough and I am using my sister as a co-sponsor.

We live together in the same house along with her 2 children, my parents, one brother, and another sister. So theres a total of 8 of us in the same house.

My sister is also married but her husband lives in another state temporarily.

What I am confused about is how my sister and her husband filed jointly together on their tax returns.

When I printed her IRS tax transcript, it wont show her individual income but both her and her husbands incomes combined.

So in part 6 it asks if I am using any additional household income.

Since I am combining my income with my sisters income, I also put her name down.

But in part 6c, it asks for her income, so should I put her individual income or what it shows on the IRS tax transcript which is the income for both my sister and her husband since they filed jointly?

This is the same case for the other document the 864a, which the co-sponsor my sister fills out.

So in question number 10 it asks for her individual income. Again should I put in her individual income or her and her husbands income combined?

In question 11, it asks for the federal income tax total income for tax year 2013.

Are the answers to question numbers 10 and 11 supposed to be the same?

Also going back to the regular 864 document

In part 3 ( Information on the immigrant I am sponsoring), am I supposed to count my wife as Family Member 1 or do I leave this information blank?

I am only bringing my wife.

In the regular form 864 for part 5 question 8 the household size, do I put in 3 since my sister is co-sponsoring?

So one for me, one for my wife, and one for my sister correct?

Do I include any of my sisters family here? Her and her husband both support their 2 kids financially.

In Part 3 question 1? I am sponsoring the principal immigrant.......

Do I put in yes or no (applicable only in cases with 2 joint sponsors)

Should I use any of my assets or my sisters assets even though I know my sister makes more then enough?

I figured it can't hurt

Sorry for all the questions but this form is a little complicated, especially when your using a co-sponsor.

At least I have all the right evidence needed

to show me and my sisters relationship (through birth certificate)

our tax transcripts and my tax copy (hard to get one for my sister)

our passport copy's

W2s

job offer letter

e.t.c.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.***

**Moderator hat off**

To get the semantics out of the way first, whenever an I-864 is being referred to, joint sponsor is the proper term, not co-sponsor. Also, joint sponsors do not fill out an I-864A, a household member combining their income with a petitioner fills out that form.

Since you require a joint sponsor and it appears your sister is willing to do so. It may be easier to have her fill out an I-864.

Since you are only sponsoring your wife, she is counted as the immigrant you are sponsoring. She is not to be counted twice as the instructions clearly state.

If you combine income with your sister, you must include her in your household count. If you elect to have her act as a joint sponsor (i.e. she fills out her own I-864), then she would not be included in your household count. Also, if your sister fills out an I-864, she would include her spouse, kids, and the intending immigrant.

You are sponsoring the principal immigrant, so tick yes.

Whether or not you or her want to use assets is up to you. The I-864 instructions cover how those can be used.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

At least I have all the right evidence needed

to show me and my sisters relationship (through birth certificate)

our tax transcripts and my tax copy (hard to get one for my sister)

our passport copy's

W2s

job offer letter

e.t.c.

Petitioner complete I-864 (You)

Joint Sponsor complete I-864 (Sister)

If your sister is filing joint tax.. then her husband need to fill out I-864 A... also if you can attach both of their W2s with tax returns..

There is no need to prove relationship... You need to provide proof that all the sponsors are USC/legal Alien...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.