drewcaro

Moving to the US – Applying for Spousal VISA

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello,

My wife and I have been living in Colombia since 2009 and we're planning on moving to the US (Miami) in January/February of next year. We also have a two-year old girl who is a US citizen, born abroad.

I've read all of these forms and documents and posts and I really am not sure what is the best option:

1. Should we move to the US and apply with an I-485? She has had a B-2 Visitor visa for the last 6 years. Should we also apply for the I-131 immediately in case she needs to leave?

2. We're visiting Miami in December for one week – Should I start the process then if we will be leaving on Dec 9 and returning Jan 30?

3. Should I start the process here in Colombia right now? If so, does that mean we can't go to the US during this process?

I can use my mother's address in California as our US residence – and when we move, call in a change of address to Miami.

What to do?!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Your wife entering the US with the intent of adjusting status would be considered visa fraud by using a B-2 to enter when it's strictly a non-immigrant "tourist" visa. Not only is it unfair to others who spend months, if not years, living separately to complete the I-130 process the way it's meant to, but her Adjustment of Status would have a very high chance of being rejected as they would suspect her of having entered fraudulently.

I'd suggest just staying in Colombia, filing the I-130 from there and you can feel free to enter the US with her B-2 during the process. Just be sure to bring proof of returning to Colombia once the trip is over.

Myself: US citizen; Husband: German citizen

TransferWise Invitation Link: (first wire transfer is free) https://transferwise.com/u/eec50

(B-2 Journey):

-(then fiance) H-2B work visa application terminated due to qualification difficulties in Aug. 2010.

-(then fiance) B-2 tourist visa denied due to lack of strong ties to Germany in Sept. 2010.
-Third ESTA denied due to his suspiscious visa status on Oct. 15, 2012.
-B-2 tourist visa approved on Nov. 16, 2012!

(IR-1 Journey):

-Extended German residence permit obtained Aug. 23, 2014. (to qualify for DCF)

-Husband's new German passport picked up Aug. 28, 2014. (Old one expires 2015)

-I-130 packet sent to Frankfurt (DCF) Aug. 29, 2014!

-NOA1 issued Sept. 9, 2014 (received Sept.13)

-RFE regarding evidence of bona fide marriage received along with NOA1

-RFE reply packet sent to Frankfurt Sept. 30, 2014

-E-mail response (NOA2) received by USCIS Frankfurt on Oct. 23, 2014 (Petition APPROVED Oct. 20!!!) :dancing:

-Paper NOA2 received in the mail Oct. 29, 2014

-Case number assigned by IV unit Oct. 30, 2014 (Received by email Nov. 3)

-Paper "Packet 3" arrived in mail Nov. 4, 2014

-DS-260 and Document Delivery Registration submitted to Frankfurt Nov. 4, 2014

-Mailed in priority date request found on Packet 3 to IV Unit Nov. 5, 2014

-IV ("Packet 3") package sent to Frankfurt Nov. 17, 2014

-Medical completed by Frankfurt panel physician Nov. 17, 2014

-Received "Packet 4" via e-mail Nov. 20, 2014

-Interview booked for Dec. 3, 2014 (booked Nov. 21, 2014 after email authorization received)
-Visa approved, issued AND picked up by the courier all within 7 hours, Dec. 3, 2014
:dance:

-Visa packet arrived in the mail Dec. 4, 2014

-Visa packet had to be returned to Frankfurt for correction on Immigrant Data Summary sheet (wrong birthplace listed) Dec. 5, 2014

-Corrected visa packet received in the mail Dec. 11, 2014

-$165 Immigrant fee paid Dec. 11, 2014

-POE (through Dublin, Ireland) Jan. 18, 2015

-Registered manually for social security Jan. 27, 2015

-Social security card arrived within 2 weeks after applying in person/green card arrived within 30 days after entering U.S.

kXYGp1.png

Timeline

Thanks for your suggestion. But as it states on the IR-1 Visa requirements, I must be living in the US to apply for the I-130. Is there a problem submitting the form from here (or likewise, from there - with my "permanent residence" in California), but living in Colombia?

Also, your first comment could have simply been reduced to "The first option is Visa fraud" and that would have been enough. I'm asking the question out of ignorance, not because I want to trick the system.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Thanks for your suggestion. But as it states on the IR-1 Visa requirements, I must be living in the US to apply for the I-130. Is there a problem submitting the form from here (or likewise, from there - with my "permanent residence" in California), but living in Colombia?

Also, your first comment could have simply been reduced to "The first option is Visa fraud" and that would have been enough. I'm asking the question out of ignorance, not because I want to trick the system.

Are you PR/Citizen ? .. You in Columbia due to any work related reason ? ...

Timeline

You can submit it from overseas and remain with your spouse as long as you can prove you have taken measures to reestablishing domicile in the US. (voter registration, up-to-date state drivers license, quotes on shipping belongings, etc.)

And I wasn't assuming you were wanting to commit fraud, but that that's how the government would view it as.

TransferWise Invitation Link: (first wire transfer is free) https://transferwise.com/u/eec50

(B-2 Journey):

-(then fiance) H-2B work visa application terminated due to qualification difficulties in Aug. 2010.

-(then fiance) B-2 tourist visa denied due to lack of strong ties to Germany in Sept. 2010.

(IR-1 Journey):

-E-mail response (NOA2) received by USCIS Frankfurt on Oct. 23, 2014 (Petition APPROVED Oct. 20!!!) :dancing:

-Interview booked for Dec. 3, 2014 (booked Nov. 21, 2014 after email authorization received)
-Visa approved, issued AND picked up by the courier all within 7 hours, Dec. 3, 2014

-Visa packet had to be returned to Frankfurt for correction on Immigrant Data Summary sheet (wrong birthplace listed) Dec. 5, 2014

-Social security card arrived within 2 weeks after applying in person/green card arrived within 30 days after entering U.S.

kXYGp1.png

Timeline

I'm a US Citizen - we moved to Colombia on 11/2009 because my wife is Colombian and the economy was more stable at the time. I received residency in Colombia the day after I arrived.

@Stressed Out

I found another post that refers to this process: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/472482-file-ir1-application-while-living-abroad/

Thanks

Timeline

I live with my husband as well and I feel much better about the whole process, though it's slightly more complicated with the I-864 part having to prove the domicile stuff, but being able to attend the interview with him is a huge relief for me. I feel like me being there will give my husband a boost of confidence so he doesn't act so scared and suspicious around the CO, haha.

(B-2 Journey):

(IR-1 Journey):

kXYGp1.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Spousal visa takes a year or so.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

We applied for the I-130 abroad and then my partner moved to the US and I went to Colombia. My suggestion for you is to start trying to get a job in the US while the process is pending. She will able to visit you anytime. That is what I have been doing with no problems at customs. Just make sure she can prove she is has ties in Colombia (work letter, any real estate, etc) I have never been asked a single question other than why of my visit and how long I will be there.

I noticed that your city is Buenos Aires. Are you applying from Argentina? Probably by now you have realized that this process takes about 12 months or so. So very unlikely she will be able to move in February 2015.

Good luck and let me know if you have more questions.

A US visit is fine. Your wife will want to be able to show that she will be leaving again within the confines of that visa just in case her intentions are questioned. See this thread for more information. (I live abroad with my spouse, so we also bring documents to show that I will also be leaving again.)

For the I-864 (Affidavit of Support, submitted during NVC phase), you will need to show that you either have US domicile or intend to reestablish US domicile no later than when your wife enters the US. This wiki entry has information on one can address domicile if one lives abroad.

Edited by awaywego

2012: Married
2014 2016 2017: I-130 packet direct to Frankfurt

Frankfurt's "steps" to DCF:

Step 1: I-130 Petition Checklist (PDF, from their USCIS page)

Step 2: Immigrant/Fiance(e) & K-Visa Applicant Checklist (PDF, from their Appointment & Interview page)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.