Howpful1

How to list Iranian compound last names (Family/Last, and 'Tribal'/Village)? I-129F

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

US and Persian naming-conventions do not 'map' onto each other exactly.

It is not clear what is the proper way to list these, in Form I-129F, Part 2, Questions 2a-c.

In the US, everyone has one Last Name (a.k.a. Family Name), sometimes hyphenated. E.g., Smith. Or Smith-Jones.

We have a Given Name (a.k.a. First Name). E.g., Mary.

Many (though not all) have a Middle Name (rarely used). E.g., Katherine.

So the full name would be: Mary Katherine Smith-Jones (first middle last). Or: Smith-Jones, Mary Katherine (last, first middle).

In Iran, the naming conventions are different. Many people have what I'm calling "compound last names" -- one name more specific to a particular family, and a broader name that may have originated from a tribal or village name (even though in theory tribal or village names have been eliminated in modern Iran), and the latter may almost never be used in everyday life.

E.g., the immediate family might be named Arshi, the broader ('tribal/village') family name might be Meradloo. The given name might be Zahra. The full name would be Zahra Arshi Meradloo. But in everyday life the woman would go by just Zahra Arshi or Ms. Arshi (never using the broader name). Her business card might just say "Zahra Arshi," her friends and colleagues would know her only as Zahra Arshi, while her passport might say "Arshi Meradloo, Zahra." (Note that "Arshi" is *not* a Middle Name -- her father's full name might be e.g. Mohsen Arshi Meradloo.)

What and where is the appropriate way and place to list these names in the I-129F?

I'm guessing to put both names in the "Last Name" field (Part 2 Q.2a), like this: Arshi Meradloo

And, of course, for Given Name it is: Zahra

And nothing anywhere else, e.g. no Middle Name, and nothing in Q.10a-c (Other Names Used).

Is that right? (This question must come up with every Iranian-Western K1 aplication. :-) ) I wouldn't want to confuse a US clerk, who might inadvertently think that "Meradloo" is the Last Name, and Arshi is a Middle Name (in the wrong place), or that it should be hyphenated (Arshi-Meradloo), or something like that.

Thank you!

Edited by Howpful1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Hi,

I would recommend you use whatever her passport shows. So, Arshi Meradloo in Last Name (as you yourself guessed) and no middle name. They usually want to see the same stuff that is in your passport. One time I had to pay $80 to change my name in a plane ticket to the US because I had only used my first last name (I have two, as every Spaniard does) and it didn't match my passport name.

I don't have a middle name either and I think that I wrote None, or maybe I drew a dash in that field.

Cheers

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

I would put them both as last names like @aara1988 says we have 2 last names in Spain and no middle name.

Then don't get it here in America so when I went to open a bank account for example I always explain it and they say I can' only put one so my new documents never match my passport. Or they put one of my last names as middle name etc......

But for uscis I put given name Iris. Middle name: nothing , and last names both I have. You could do it. Does your passport shows it that way???

I'm glad I changed both my last names for my husband's so I won't have to deal with it any longer and I will have only one in my GC and american documents :)

y59om4.png

---------------------------------- Pre I-130 ----------------------------------------

Feb- 25- 2009 - Met in Barcelona Spain thanks to a friend in common ???

11 visits in the next 5 years........ ????????????

Apr - 23 - 2014 - My last entry in the US to visit ✈️

Jul - 18 - 2014 - finally proposes and ask me to stay forever!!!! ❤️??

Jul- 20 - 2014 - I don't get in the flight back to Spain ( that means my ESTA will expire the next day )

Jul - 22 - 2014 - wedding ❤️??

---------------------------I-130, I-485, EAD, AP ----------------------------------

Sep- 12- 2014 - AOS sent to Chicago ?? ( delivered sept 15 )

Sep - 18 - 2014 - AOS texts/ emails received with case number ??

Sep- 19 - 2014 - checks cashed ?

Sep - 21 - 2014- hard copies of NOA received in the mail!!! ??

Sep - 26 - 2014- biometrics letter received!! Appointment for Oct 7

Sep - 30 - 2014 - succesful early walk in biometrics ??

Nov - 22 - 2014 - EAD/AP approved ?? ( 71 days )

Nov - 24 - 2014 - card in production

Dec - 1 - 2014 - card mailed ??

Dec - 3 - 2014 - Combo card received ??

Dec - 15 - 2014 - email received with interview date for Jan 15 2015! ??

Jan - 15 - 2015 - Approved!! ???? Here is our interview experience --> http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/531853-aos-interview-from-esta-approved/

Jan - 24 - 2015 - Green card received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

For my wife we used two first names and two last names. She was adamant that she did not have a middle name. So Par.. Sad.. went into the first name field, Sey... Moz... went into the last name fields. That is how here Iranian Passport lists it and now her Green Card. There have been no issues with her name listed like this in the 19 months she has been in the USA. Bank accounts, Credit Cards, Driver Licenses and Social Security are all listed like this.

As noted above, when we book things like airline tickets, we always use her full name since that is what is on the ID.

Edited by ChuckM

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.