valverdeveslings

Changing Name on Documents Post-Marriage

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

So for AOS I know it's necessary to file with the certified copy of the marriage certificate, however for things such as changing a name for banks, SSN, state ID, passport, etc....do they accept a non-certified copy such as the customer copy or even the marriage license?? Or is it also necessary to have the certified copy? Anyone have experience with this?

There is a difference between a marriage license and a marriage certificate. A marriage license doesn't prove that you got married, it is only used to get married. The marriage certificate is what proves your marriage.

The copy you got from the court or clerk, should be certified already. Does it have a stamp or seal on it? You also don't need to send this with your AOS, only a photocopy of it.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Timeline

There is a difference between a marriage license and a marriage certificate. A marriage license doesn't prove that you got married, it is only used to get married. The marriage certificate is what proves your marriage.

The copy you got from the court or clerk, should be certified already. Does it have a stamp or seal on it? You also don't need to send this with your AOS, only a photocopy of it.

I only used the term marriage license because on one state website it said you can use your marriage license or marriage certificate as proof of a name change.

In the county we will get married in couples don't receive the certified marriage certificate until 6-8 weeks after the marriage. They give out a 'customer copy' on the day of the ceremony and of course the license is to keep. It's very inconvenient but that's how LA County is :/

We're going to wait for the certified copy for AOS but just wondering if we can use the customer copy to change our names on SSN, bank, passport, state ID, etc....?

Filed: Timeline

I only used the term marriage license because on one state website it said you can use your marriage license or marriage certificate as proof of a name change.

In the county we will get married in couples don't receive the certified marriage certificate until 6-8 weeks after the marriage. They give out a 'customer copy' on the day of the ceremony and of course the license is to keep. It's very inconvenient but that's how LA County is :/

We're going to wait for the certified copy for AOS but just wondering if we can use the customer copy to change our names on SSN, bank, passport, state ID, etc....?

You might be able to get your certificate sooner if you go to the county recorder's office to pick it up in-person. We got married in Orange County and the county recorder's website claims that the marriage certificate is ready 5-6 weeks after the marriage. However, we were told 3 weeks by the person who held the ceremony (at the county recorder's office). We picked it up at the 3-week mark and paid for four copies: one for each of us plus two spare certificates.

We sent a coloured copy of the marriage certificate with our AOS application - scanned from the original. The official instructions say that originals are not required. As to the banks, etc., they'll probably want to see an original if you need to verify the information in-person, but a photocopy is normally acceptable if you upload/send by mail/email - each institution is going to be different in their requirements.

Edit: we didn't receive a customer copy after the ceremony. I suspect it's for keepsake purposes only and won't be acceptable for official business. Hopefully, someone with more experience with the customer copy can chime in to confirm or correct this.

Edited by landr

If the customer copy you have has a seal or stamp on it, then you may be able to use it to change your name with SSA and the like. If it doesn't, you may have to wait to get the certificate in order to do this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You will probably need the marriage certificate you get from the court after the marriage is registered. You can always ask about the policies of wherever you are changing your name, such as the bank. They can tell you what they will accept.

~ Moved from K-1 Process to Moving to the US and Your New Life in America - topic not K-1, about changing name after marriage ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

It really depends on the place. When I changed my name through court, there were places that wanted to see the certified copy, which you don't get until you publish it in the newspaper.

I was trying to use the copy that they give you to put in the paper, to change my name in all of these places. SSA and DMV definitely didn't accept it. My banks, school, credit cards, car insurance, only one (the school) asked to see the copy I had.

They didn't even care that it wasn't certified, everyone else just took my word for it. I was flabbergasted, but that just goes to show, the government will always be more uncomfortable to deal with, unfortunately.

So you can use this copy to try and change your name, you actually never know unless you try. Some places may let you change it, others may ask for the certified copy. Usually you can do everything in one day.

Timeline

It really depends on the place. When I changed my name through court, there were places that wanted to see the certified copy, which you don't get until you publish it in the newspaper.

I was trying to use the copy that they give you to put in the paper, to change my name in all of these places. SSA and DMV definitely didn't accept it. My banks, school, credit cards, car insurance, only one (the school) asked to see the copy I had.

They didn't even care that it wasn't certified, everyone else just took my word for it. I was flabbergasted, but that just goes to show, the government will always be more uncomfortable to deal with, unfortunately.

So you can use this copy to try and change your name, you actually never know unless you try. Some places may let you change it, others may ask for the certified copy. Usually you can do everything in one day.

You're right, it doesn't hurt to try! I think we will try to change our names with minor things such as bank accounts, school records, etc with the customer copy and then wait for the certified copy to deal with gov related name changes.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.