tige321

Fraud interview??

30 posts in this topic

I was doing some research about the immigration process,and I never saw this on the official USCIS website,but I found all these sample questions for a 'fraud interview'. Like they would ask you both the same questions,personal things like your spouse's favorite food,and whatnot,and try to catch you guys in a lie. Is this real? I thought the interview,just the immigrant spouse had to go to at the embassy,and I didn't think it was exactly about that. I thought the validity of your relationship depended on the physical proofs you send?

I believe it depends on whether there are any red flags in your case. I think we were given a fraud interview at the embassy because they did that to us. Our only red flag was that I didn't go to the K1 interview, it was denied and then we had to do the CR1. The DR is a high fraud country, so I was expecting this. If you are a real couple, there is nothing to worry about.

This does not constitute legal advice.

~~moved to general immigration from IR1/CR1 process and procedures as topic can describe several visa types and AOS~~

Yes it's called a Stokes interview. It's more common in AOS cases than in spousal visas cases.

A country in which the petitioner is required to attend the interview, like the DR, is more likely to have this kind of interview than one that doesn't.

~~Thank you ricnally for correcting my snopes~~ ;)

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

~~moved to general immigration from IR1/CR1 process and procedures as topic can describe several visa types and AOS~~

Yes it's called a Snopes interview. It's more common in AOS cases than in spousal visas cases.

A country in which the petitioner is required to attend the interview, like the DR, is more likely to have this kind of interview than one that doesn't.

I believe that is "Stokes" interview.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Is Stokes mentioned on Snopes?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Lol, that would explain why I couldn't find it. I found this link, I thought it would be interesting, some of the questions are funny: Did you take a shower this morning? :lol:

http://statusimmigration.com/StokesInterview.html

Thank you all,that answers my question. I was more concerned about doing all this BEFORE I even got him to the US,because I don't readily live very close to any immigration office or anything,or God forbid they want me at his embassy in Germany. Then all the sample questions were related to living together and aside from a couple long vacations we never have officially lived together yet. But,if it's after the fact at like an AOS interview,that will be cake.

I never intended that to mean that a fraud interview is never a cause of concern, but rather that if one is in a genuine relationship, one doesn't have to freak out about it, since a fraud interview is just an extra tool they use to get the "truth" out of you.

My spouse and I were asked all sorts of questions, and it really was not that bad, because we know each other very well. Of course I'm not saying that is the case for everyone, but if you are a genuine couple with no red flags, there really is no cause for concern.

That said, they don't ask questions that don't apply in a fraud interview. For example the questions from an AOS interview to those asked at the consulate would vary. At an AOS interview, you could be asked questions about your living situation, like where is the garbage, because you are living together whereas in a consulate interview, you wouldn't be asked about your living situation in the same way since you aren't living together.

I do not think that piece of advice was reckless and you are simply picking on me like a fifth grade bully.

This is reckless advice. In the face of a Stokes interview, there is everything to worry about. "Real" couples have no immunity against the CO's absolute power.

To the OP: Germany is not known as a high-fraud consulate. However, if a Stokes interview is demanded, the beneficiary might be given a 221g at her interview, and your presence can be demanded at a second one (the Stokes).

There are no drawbacks whatsoever to the petitioner's being on the consular premises (or within physical shouting distance of them) when the beneficiary is being interviewed.

If I had any luck that would be mine. :mellow:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Gosh, Ian H..,., going from K-1 to I-130.,.,wow what a time difference,.,.,.a few months to 1 and 1/2 years.,. but you had no choice.,.,

When I was at my interview on 10/08/2014, they did stoke interview to like 5 couples. The Stoke interview can happen even in your first interview if they are red flags.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I was doing some research about the immigration process,and I never saw this on the official USCIS website,but I found all these sample questions for a 'fraud interview'. Like they would ask you both the same questions,personal things like your spouse's favorite food,and whatnot,and try to catch you guys in a lie. Is this real? I thought the interview,just the immigrant spouse had to go to at the embassy,and I didn't think it was exactly about that. I thought the validity of your relationship depended on the physical proofs you send?

May be what you read was the interview for CR-1 ( conditional visa for couple married less than 2 years ). After two years they both are interviewed in their local USCIS office to confirm the green card. If your marriage is genuine and you are living together then it should not be difficult to answer those questions and provide proofs like joint bank accounts,name on insurance polices ets.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.