insipidtoast

Should my joint sponsor list his spouse's income on the I-864?

3 posts in this topic

OK, so my joint sponsor recently filled out the I-864. On his tax return for 2013 he filed jointly with his wife. Does he need to include his wife's income on the I-864 form Part 6, Item 6? Their income from 2013 according to line 22 of their 1040 tax return was 277,798 dollars. For my joint sponsor's current individual income he put 200,000 dollars.

Edited by insipidtoast

September 25th: I-130 Emergency petition filed at US Embassy in Lima.

October 3rd: I-130 Petition Approved.

October 10th: Consular Section sent checklist and notification scheduling my spouse's visa interview for November 13th.

He did not enter any value for Part 6, Item 10. And did not enter any information about his household members' income. Should he have entered this info?

September 25th: I-130 Emergency petition filed at US Embassy in Lima.

October 3rd: I-130 Petition Approved.

October 10th: Consular Section sent checklist and notification scheduling my spouse's visa interview for November 13th.

He isn't required to list his spouse's income unless she will file an I-864A. Since your joint sponsor makes enough on his own, his wife doesn't need an I-864A, but he has to put his share of the income on his I-864. Also he doesn't include his wife in part 6, he only enters "1" for spouse in part 5.

Since they file jointly he has to prove his share of the income. This can be proven with his w2 for last year. In addition to that he needs to submit proof of current income such as an employment letter or most recent paystubs.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.