DirtyHarry

Question for divorcee's going for Cr1/K1 interview

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Packet 4 requires you to bring marriage certificates for all your past marriages. My wife and I have been married previously. We have copies of our divorce decrees but we do not have copies of our past marriage certificates.

Has this been a problem for any one? Circumstances are such that we cannot get copies of marriage certificates.

Appreciate all help.

Harry

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

In my case, in my previous marriage in India i just had a paper issued from Gurudwara in Punjabi but Embassy didn't ask me to submit the previous marriage certificate just asked for divorce judgment sheet with decree of termination of previous marriage and the current marriage certificate with marriage registration certificate.

If you don't mind may i know what had you submitted in the court to proof you people were married to get divorce? if it was strong evidence related with your previous marriage then you two can get certified copy of that evidence from the court .

Timeline

My wife got divorced in India. They did not have to submit any papers to prove that they were married. Her prior marriage was solemnized in a Gurudwara and she filed for divorce in a court in India. As you seem aware, marriages in India are usually performed in religious places. So we only have divorce papers.

Timeline

This sounds like something new for Packet 4?? I've been married previously as well and I would have no clue how I go about getting these! That's a strange thing to request given that you must submit divorce decrees.... I mean, if you have a divorce decree, doesn't it already prove that you were married to the person named on the decree? Such ridiculous rules! If you figure it out, please post and let everyone know.... I'm in the same position :(

Our CR1 Journey

Met - 1/14/2010 // Engaged - 3/6/2011

K1 filed - 6/8/11 // Interview @ Mumbai Consulate - 1/5/2012: Denied // USCIS final decision - 3/15/2013; administratively closed and free to file again without prejudice

Married in Delhi - 1/30/2014

Sent I-130: 4/7/2014 NOA 1: 4/10/2014

NOA 2: 11/13/2014 (after 217 days)

NVC Received: 11/26/2014 (13 days from USCIS to the NVC)  // Case # & IIN # received - 12/29/2014 (via phone to NVC) Also sent email to get case transferred to New Delhi

NVC Welcome Letter received: 12/30/2014

Submit DS-261: 12/30/2014 // Paid AOS Bill: 1/2/2015  // Received IV Bill & Paid: 1/13/2015 (CEAC shows PAID 1/15/15) // DS-260 submitted: 1/17/2015

AOS & IV packages sent via FedEx: 1/19/2015  // AOS/IV packages received: 1/21/2015 @ 9:58 am (Signed for by: G. Waters) Scan date: 1/21/2015

60-Day Email from NVC: 1/24/2015 2nd 60-Day Email from NVC: 1/26/2015 (OK...I get it, it's taking 60 days.... sigh)

Reply from NVC re: Transfer to New Delhi : 2/16/2015 (Told to contact New Delhi...49 days wasted for no help at all!)

CASE COMPLETE!!: 3/12/2015 (50 days) // Case Complete Email Received: 3/19/2015 (7 days from CC date)

Interview Date Received via phone inquiry to NVC: 3/24/2015 // Packet 4 (Interview letter/Instructions) received: 3/25/2015

Medical Completed: 3/30/2015 // CEAC status: In transit to Mumbai and shows READY as of 4/1/2015

Biometrics Completed: 5/4/2015 // Received call from Embassy 5/11/2015 asking if we want to transfer to Delhi.....huh? One week prior to interview? Ummm.... no thanks!

INTERVIEW!! 5/18/2015 @ 7:30 am ~ Mumbai Consulate  RESULT: APPROVED!!!

Visa in hand: 05/20/2015 (Yay!) ELIS Fee ($165) paid this day as well

POE: 05/29/2015 Newark 

SSN card received: 6/8/2015 (processed on 6/2/2015) // ELIS shows "Optimized" since 5/30/2015  // ELIS changed to "In Process" 07/14/2015. (E-file received 06/25/15)

GREEN CARD RECEIVED!! 7/30/2015

ROC

Sent:  3/22/2017 | $680 Check cashed: 4/3/2017

NOA1: 3/30/2017 (Rcvd 4/3/2017)

Biometrics Appt letter received: 4/22/2017 - Biometrics date:  5/3/2017 - Done. Hubby said they were super friendly in the Pittsburgh field office! 

Timeline

Lynn n Sam, it is ridiculous. I see you have been through a K1 rejection like me. I have been ready to pack my bags and leave for good. A k1 rejections followed by another year and a half wait for IR1 has killed my spirit. Its a wonder that I am still functional.

Is the beneficiary a divorcee in your case? Since packet 4 is meant for the beneficiary, my wife needs the marriage papers. I will let you know what comes out of this. I just want this to end.

Timeline

Lynn n Sam, it is ridiculous. I see you have been through a K1 rejection like me. I have been ready to pack my bags and leave for good. A k1 rejections followed by another year and a half wait for IR1 has killed my spirit. Its a wonder that I am still functional.

Is the beneficiary a divorcee in your case? Since packet 4 is meant for the beneficiary, my wife needs the marriage papers. I will let you know what comes out of this. I just want this to end.

Yep, been on that merry-go-round before. And although it didn't quite fall in our favor, it at least gave us an opportunity to file another petition for a visa. Let's hope round 2 is more successful for the both of us! And I hear that about leaving.... have pondered that many, many times before. This wait is super frustrating on top of the long time we waited to hear back from USCIS to render a final decision on our K1. And now this added frustration.... we're still waiting on our NOA2.

DirtyHarry, I found this on the Mumbai Consulate website (even though we're both going through New Delhi Embassy, it might still apply). Enclosed here it sounds as if both parties need to provide. So I'm unsure about this. I was able to find out that I can get copies of previous marriage licenses through my county courthouse (I live in Pennsylvania). You may want to look into this as well, just in case. I'm just not sure if I should obtain the triple seal or the Apostille for the certificate (they cost $10 for each) Best of luck to you and your wife moving forward!

INTERVIEW PREPARATION
IV Marriage Certificate

Any Applicant who has ever been married must provide an original and a clear photocopy of the marriage certificate(s) for all marriages of the petitioner and of the visa applicant. Persons who married before 1955 must attempt to register their marriage. Failing this, they must submit affidavits on appropriate stamp paper sworn before a First Class Magistrate giving the names, dates and places of birth of the bride and groom, and the date and place of marriage, as well as the names of the parents of both parties are acceptable. The affidavits must be executed by one of the parents of each party, or if the parents are deceased, by the nearest relative of each party who was present at the wedding. Persons married in 1955 and later must submit a marriage registration certificate. Certificates issued by the appropriate authorities or recognized religious organizations are acceptable if they are legally valid in India. If any of these documents were issued in a regional language, a notarized English translation is required in addition to the original. If you and your spouse are applying for visas, you should submit an original and two clear photocopies of each certificate.

Our CR1 Journey

Met - 1/14/2010 // Engaged - 3/6/2011

K1 filed - 6/8/11 // Interview @ Mumbai Consulate - 1/5/2012: Denied // USCIS final decision - 3/15/2013; administratively closed and free to file again without prejudice

Married in Delhi - 1/30/2014

Sent I-130: 4/7/2014 NOA 1: 4/10/2014

NOA 2: 11/13/2014 (after 217 days)

NVC Received: 11/26/2014 (13 days from USCIS to the NVC)  // Case # & IIN # received - 12/29/2014 (via phone to NVC) Also sent email to get case transferred to New Delhi

NVC Welcome Letter received: 12/30/2014

Submit DS-261: 12/30/2014 // Paid AOS Bill: 1/2/2015  // Received IV Bill & Paid: 1/13/2015 (CEAC shows PAID 1/15/15) // DS-260 submitted: 1/17/2015

AOS & IV packages sent via FedEx: 1/19/2015  // AOS/IV packages received: 1/21/2015 @ 9:58 am (Signed for by: G. Waters) Scan date: 1/21/2015

60-Day Email from NVC: 1/24/2015 2nd 60-Day Email from NVC: 1/26/2015 (OK...I get it, it's taking 60 days.... sigh)

Reply from NVC re: Transfer to New Delhi : 2/16/2015 (Told to contact New Delhi...49 days wasted for no help at all!)

CASE COMPLETE!!: 3/12/2015 (50 days) // Case Complete Email Received: 3/19/2015 (7 days from CC date)

Interview Date Received via phone inquiry to NVC: 3/24/2015 // Packet 4 (Interview letter/Instructions) received: 3/25/2015

Medical Completed: 3/30/2015 // CEAC status: In transit to Mumbai and shows READY as of 4/1/2015

Biometrics Completed: 5/4/2015 // Received call from Embassy 5/11/2015 asking if we want to transfer to Delhi.....huh? One week prior to interview? Ummm.... no thanks!

INTERVIEW!! 5/18/2015 @ 7:30 am ~ Mumbai Consulate  RESULT: APPROVED!!!

Visa in hand: 05/20/2015 (Yay!) ELIS Fee ($165) paid this day as well

POE: 05/29/2015 Newark 

SSN card received: 6/8/2015 (processed on 6/2/2015) // ELIS shows "Optimized" since 5/30/2015  // ELIS changed to "In Process" 07/14/2015. (E-file received 06/25/15)

GREEN CARD RECEIVED!! 7/30/2015

ROC

Sent:  3/22/2017 | $680 Check cashed: 4/3/2017

NOA1: 3/30/2017 (Rcvd 4/3/2017)

Biometrics Appt letter received: 4/22/2017 - Biometrics date:  5/3/2017 - Done. Hubby said they were super friendly in the Pittsburgh field office! 

Timeline

The New Delhi consulate does not talk about affidavits. How can people who have divorced on bad terms go around getting affidavits signed by their ex spouses. I have another thread where an individual who had the interview stated that he did not provide previous marriage certificates. I will go without them and see how it goes. I dont know what to do at this point because I know I cannot get the marriage certificates or the affidavits.

Timeline

The New Delhi consulate does not talk about affidavits. How can people who have divorced on bad terms go around getting affidavits signed by their ex spouses. I have another thread where an individual who had the interview stated that he did not provide previous marriage certificates. I will go without them and see how it goes. I dont know what to do at this point because I know I cannot get the marriage certificates or the affidavits.

I also think you should go with out them and see how it goes. Divorce papers are important,i think you will not find any problem.Good Luck.

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

hubby's interview was in June and he did not take my previous marriage info at all. We submitted my previous divorce decree to USCIS but as the petitioner nothing was asked regarding my previous marriage at NVC or interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.