DirtyHarry

Panicking! Interview date approaching. Previous marriage certificates not available

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Hello,

I need advise. This long journey has devastated me mentally. My wife and step daughter are in India. I had initially filed a fiance visa in June 2012 that was rejected in March 2013. Following that we got married in June 2013. I filed an IR1/CR1 for my wife and step daughter in August 2013. I received an RFE in April related to my relationship which I successfully answered. I am going through the check list of documents needed for the interview. One of the items in the checklist is for Marriage Certificate. I have my marriage certificate for my marriage to my wife. However, I read the checklist item in detail now. The check list item states that I need a marriage certificate for all prior marriages. Both me and my wife were married before. I do not have the marriage certificate for my previous marriage and neither does my wife. We both do have divorce certificates for our past marriages indicating that we have legally ended our earlier marriages.

What should I do? Is this a deal breaker? Aren't the divorce decrees sufficient ? I am planning on going to the interview with the documents I have because I am at the end of my wits. I cannot stay stuck in this limbo of paperwork and bureaucracy forever.

Has any one encountered this situation before.

Waiting for your replies.

Regards,

Harry

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello,

I need advise. This long journey has devastated me mentally. My wife and step daughter are in India. I had initially filed a fiance visa in June 2012 that was rejected in March 2013. Following that we got married in June 2013. I filed an IR1/CR1 for my wife and step daughter in August 2013. I received an RFE in April related to my relationship which I successfully answered. I am going through the check list of documents needed for the interview. One of the items in the checklist is for Marriage Certificate. I have my marriage certificate for my marriage to my wife. However, I read the checklist item in detail now. The check list item states that I need a marriage certificate for all prior marriages. Both me and my wife were married before. I do not have the marriage certificate for my previous marriage and neither does my wife. We both do have divorce certificates for our past marriages indicating that we have legally ended our earlier marriages.

What should I do? Is this a deal breaker? Aren't the divorce decrees sufficient ? I am planning on going to the interview with the documents I have because I am at the end of my wits. I cannot stay stuck in this limbo of paperwork and bureaucracy forever.

Regards,

Harry

It would help on your profile to get you country flag up so your questions land in the right forums.

I have asked the admins to move to your countries forum. I have not heard anyone mention they needed pass marriage certificates.

You have t realize alot of the things listed on the website is old and outdated. You supplied your divorce decree to USCIS and NVC.

I am sure others from your country will chime in.

You could also post on my cases complete to Interview thread and see if those preparing for interview like you know.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/512497-october-2014-interviews/page-68#entry7264540

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello Dirty Harry,

I read your question and looked at your profile to try and see what country/province/state, etc. you are in but did not find anything....... When I had to retrieve my certificates I googled vital statistics for my state(s) of record and was able to order certified copies from other states and was able to drive in and pick up another certificate from my current state. Below is a url that shows what the vital statistics for my state look like:

http://www.doh.wa.gov/LicensesPermitsandCertificates/BirthDeathMarriageandDivorce

I did find a national vital statistics record site, but this will only help if you are in the states.....

https://www.vitalchek.com/ (I believe this is a private company/pay site)

P.S.: I am in no way affiliated with any of the URL agencies or companies.

Hope this helps...... If you have some information concerning the location of the marriges or divorces I would be able to find more accurate information for you.

Hello,

Regards,

Harry

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Thanks, Dwheels and DCMarkham. My previous marriage was in India. My wife's previous marriage was in India too. It is next to impossible to get certificates there without bribing and spending days on end. I do not think we will be able to get the past marriage certificates.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Your devorce decrees will suffice. Make sure to have your birth certificates, proof of marriage and continuing relationship (photos, chat and email logs, phone bills, skype conversation etc), medical and PCC. These things and if they asked for anything specific in the letter should be enough. If they ask for the marriage certificate for previous marriages, tell them you don't have it and can't get it and they will give you a 221(g) with a checklist of what they can accept. Good luck and happy outcomes!

Our Timeline
1st Jun, 2013 - Mailed i129f
17th Oct, 2013 - NOA2 Email Notification
27th Jan, 2014 - Visa Interview - Refused Visa eligible for waivers I601 and I212
23rd Sep, 2014 - Visa Received

2nd Nov, 2014 POE Newark

6th Nov, 2014 - Married

7th Nov, 2014 - AOS, EAD, AP applications mailed to Chicago

10th Nov, 2014 - Applications delivered and Receipt Date

14th Nov, 2014 - NOA1 Date

20th Nov, 2014 - Received NOA1 hard copies

29th Nov, 2014 - Letter for Biometrics Appointment. Appt date - 12/10/2014

1st Dec, 2014 - Walkin biometrics done

13th Dec, 2014 - RFE email followed by Hard Copy on 12/19/2014 for Marriage Certificate

20th Dec, 2014 - Mailed RFE response with certified Marriage License and Certificate

21st Feb, 2015 - Received notice of potential interview waiver by mail

2nd Mar, 2014 - email received for EAD approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from CR-1 Process forum to the India regional forum -- issue is more country-specific than it is general. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

These are the list of Docs we sent to NVC. We were divorced previously and did not send previous marriage certificates. We got a false checklist for PCC and thats about it.

Did you send the "present" marriage certificate to NVC? Did you call them up and talk to them? Did they confirm that they have your present Marriage Certificate?

Documents for the Petitioner:-

1) NVC Bar code page for Affidavit of Support Processing & proof of payment fees (Original + copy)

2) Form I-864, Affidavit of Support (Original + copy)

3)Petitioner's Permanent Resident Card (Copy + copy)

4) Petitioner's Employment Verification Letter ( Original + copy)

5) Petitioner's Recent Pay slips (copy + copy) up to 6 months.

6) Petitioner's 2012 or latest year federal Tax Returns ( copy + copy)

7) Petitioner's W-2 for 2012, 2011, 2010(copy + copy)

If applicable: Petitioner's Divorce Decree (Original + Copy)

Documents for the Beneficiary:-

1) NVC Barcode Page for Application for Immigrant visa and Alien Registration & proof of payment of fees (Original + copy)

2) NVC Barcode for completion and submission of form DS260 (Original + copy) and 2 passport photos.

3) Applicant's Marriage Certificate (Original + copy) : This is the marriage certificate of present marriage not previous one.

4) Applicant's Birth Certificate (Original + Copy)

5) Police Clearance Certificate from Local passport office (Original + copy)

6)Copy of Applicant's Passport Biographic data page (copy+ copy)

If applicable: Applicant's Divorce Decree (Original + copy)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.