DV 2016 Announced!

32 posts in this topic

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Nigeria is still on the ineligible countries list. Means some sanity in the house in Oct. Used to be everyone thought you had better luck if your entry was from the US

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Nigeria is still on the ineligible countries list. Means some sanity in the house in Oct. Used to be everyone thought you had better luck if your entry was from the US

Huh?

Eligibility is based purely on a numbers calculation (immigrants into the US over the previous 5 years) and has nothing to do with "sanity in the house". Sanity in the house would be looking to the rest of the 21st century, and scrap the DV and certain family visas and replace it with skills visas. And I say that as a DV winner and someone who had a family petition approved before I won DV!

Timeline

Huh?

Eligibility is based purely on a numbers calculation (immigrants into the US over the previous 5 years) and has nothing to do with "sanity in the house". Sanity in the house would be looking to the rest of the 21st century, and scrap the DV and certain family visas and replace it with skills visas. And I say that as a DV winner and someone who had a family petition approved before I won DV!

Every year we would get more than our share of info packets mailed to US with request to fill the form out for friends because they believed it was luckier. Quite common actually , maybe because of the number of fraudsters running DV services in Nigeria. That is the sanity I was getting from Nigeria being eliminated. But yes I know many winners that are under skilled with their high school education to prosper in the US and even some well skilled recipients that fail to thrive. STEM based would be good but it needs balance , a regional or country based visa so they don't all end up in a few countries.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

@ NigeriaorBust and SusieQQQ, you both are right. The elimination is not based on the number of visa allocated to the DV Winners only rather on the total number of visas that has been given to Nigerians in the last five years.

My question is, won't Nigeria be given any allocation in the DV anymore.

Timeline

Once a country has been excluded it usually stays excluded. That country has more or less reached a tipping point where they generate enough visa demand on their own to keep themselves excluded. If the rules change on family based visas excluded countries may fall back below the line once the petitions in the pipeline are done.

@ NigeriaorBust and SusieQQQ, you both are right. The elimination is not based on the number of visa allocated to the DV Winners only rather on the total number of visas that has been given to Nigerians in the last five years.

My question is, won't Nigeria be given any allocation in the DV anymore.

If the number of non-DV Nigerian immigrants to the US falls below 50k over a five year period then yes it will...assuming there is a still a DV when/if that happens. Edited by SusieQQQ

hey, my case number is as 33XX awaiting the 2nl for dv2015. i was wondering if i would be eligible to apply for dv2016 also. or would it cause problems in the future?

Did you not see posts 6 and 7 above?

I've already nominated for this year -2015, i didn't have my interview yet.

Is it eligible if i apply for 2016 as well??

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.