mx8286

AOS in Miami same sex marriage

26 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I decided to post here to find out about others experiences filing and AOS in Miami from a same sex marriage.

Our story: we recently got married in NY, met 2 years ago at work, and we have been living together since then. The perfect story :)

We are using the help of a lawyer for the filing process.

Timeline:

-Priority date August 22nd, 2014

-Receipts received September 9th, 2014

-Biometrics apointment notice received September 12th, 2014

-Biometrics `september 22nd, 2014

Like I said, I'm interested in reading similar experiences as well as recent timelines.

Thanks to all!

You shouldn't encounter any issues. Immigration benefits are based on federal law, and they would accept the marriage even if FL doesn't recognize it.

According to the following link, the Miami office is processing AOS cases from last December, so it looks like you're in for a bit of a wait.

Did you submit the EAD/AP applications for work authorization and travel? Because if not, your spouse wouldn't be able to work or leave the US. You can read the guides here to learn more about the process and what to expect. Good luck.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Timeline

Thanks for your answer. We did file the EAD but no A as we didn't feel like we needed to travel out of the US.

As far as timeline I saw on different forums and topics people who were sharing their processing time over the summer and already got approved. Again each case is different.

We're not really scared regarding the 'same sex' marriage at all as it is a true marriage. Although the interview is a stressful step I believe...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

~ Moved from AOS from Family Based Visas to AOS from Work, Student & Tourist Visas Progress Reports - topic is case status ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Yes, the interview is the most stressful part, but you will be fine as long as you prove the bona fide of your relationship, everything else is just paperwork and logistics.

As for the AP, I have seen others on here who said the same thing and regretted it later. You never know what may come up that would require international travel. Even though your spouse may not need to travel now or in the foreseeable future, I strongly suggest that your spouse applies for it. Here's why:

You probably are already aware that while the AOS is pending your spouse can't leave the states for any reason whatsoever without an AP document or the application would be denied, and getting one at the last minute would prove difficult.

The AP form (I-131) is completely free to file even if you have already sent your AOS. All you would need is a copy of the NOA1 and all it would cost you is the postage.

Therefore, unless your spouse has nothing outside the US, no family or friends that would require leaving the US in the event of an emergency, then it's best to file for this doc. I'm following this other thread of a woman whose parents both got sick and is scrambling to get her AP, although she hadn't submitted the AOS yet.

The choice is up to you however, I just like to avoid people undue burden because this is a lengthy and cumbersome process. Good luck.

Timeline

thanks for your advice.

any recommendation on what documents should we start gathering for proofs of bona fide marriage. We share a family plan as far as phone bills. However utility bills are under my name and the lease under his name. We called to add him onto the electricity account but they only allow one person.

He is also a joitn accountholder on my checking account.

Thanks

Yes, a lot of people face this issue since not all bills/accounts can be put in two names. What you do is you have some bills in your name, others in his, but only the ones that you can't get joint because if you can get them joint it's better.

The lease should be in both of your names since you both live there. Although, I would understand if they don't let him put you as a co-lessee because FL doesn't recognize SSM. Landlords are typically required to add a spouse to a lease without charging extra rent, but these are state laws unfortunately.

Joint checking account is great. Other things are joint car insurance/car title/ car registration, joint taxes if you have, joint credit cards, health insurance policy, listed as each other's beneficiary on life insurance and 401k if you have, basically all things that you can think of that proves you share a marital union, a household and expenses.

They want to see that you comingle your finances and resources and share expenses in the same address. Also since you are recently married they won't expect you to have overwhelming proof either, so don't be concerned and submit whatever you can get.

This is why they give a conditional GC that has to be stripped of the conditions in 2 years with ROC. They give people this time to accumulate this evidence and then he can get a regular 10 year GC.

• 3 weeks later...

In miami too..going smoothly so far interview in a few weeks.. :)

April 22, 2009 Started dating :dancing:

April 22, 2014 got married :wub:

:clock: AOS-I-130/EAD

august 12, 2014 - usps delivers package, signed by S Beavers, :star: (day 1)

august 18, 2014-text NOA confirmation x3 :star: (day 6)

august 18, 2014 - checks cashed

august 22, 2014 mangled NOA hardcopies in mailbox x3 ( day 10)

august 29, 2014 Biometrics appt letter in mailbox :star: (day 17)

september 11, 2014 Biometrics (day 30)

september 30, 2014 interview letter recieved for Nov 4 (day 49)

Oct 1, 2014 email of cancelled interview-more waiting (day 50)

Oct 3, 2014 Interview email (day 52)

October 15, 2014 EAD approved sent for production (day 64)

October 21, 2014 EAD mailed (day 70)

October 23, 2014 EAD arrived (day 72)

Nov 4, 2014 interview date (same as cancelled date 2 days ago) (day 84)

Nov 4, 2014 APPROVED!! (day 84) :dancing: :jest:

Nov 10, 2014 GC mailed/tracking info (day90 )

Nov 13, 2014 GC delivered (day 93)

• 3 months later...

Congratulations herewego-go......your case really moved fast....lucky you guys !!!!

Hope you get your interview soon!!

Timeline

I am also still waiting for the interview on the 22nd of January I will be at 5 months :/ i had my E A D approved and received back in Nov. Anybody has timelines update? My priority date is August 22

I am also still waiting for the interview on the 22nd of January I will be at 5 months :/ i had my E A D approved and received back in Nov. Anybody has timelines update? My priority date is August 22

Sorry it is taking so long, the day I went for interview the office was very full for interviews and we ran more than an hour behind schedule, I guess the Kendall office is very busy, I was surprised we got an interview so quickly, with the backlog there! our first interview date was cancelled and then they gave us back the same day different time slot, guess we lucked out. Good luck guys, hope it is over soon!! I know how frustrating the wait is.

mx8286 how do you get that appointment....lol.....we are waiting more than 5 months and not appointment yet.......we filed august 15....it's Miami your office ? good luck tomorrow....keep me post ....

Timeline

mx8286 how do you get that appointment....lol.....we are waiting more than 5 months and not appointment yet.......we filed august 15....it's Miami your office ? good luck tomorrow....keep me post ....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.