A_M

Does the food stamp or Medicaid effect the AOS process ?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello VJ's,

I have a question and need help please.

My wife is Pregnant and she got terminated from her job because she Pregnant and can not do the the job Duties.

I have my EAD and also Laid off from my job and looking for a new job right now, and waiting for my Green card .. she applied for the Medicaid and she got it and now she applied for the Food stamp.

My question is : Does the food stamp or Medicaid effect My AOS process ?

Thanks.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I'm not sure but have patience someone will come by to answer your questions soon I hope. :) Good luck to you hope you find a job soon. Ok still need more answers to be sure. But I agree they can't fire someone for having a baby so you need to seek help for this.

Edited by Soloenta

America, Give Me My Spouse/Fiancé !

https://www.youtube....O6dwPf8HqZBzjUA

Help us make processing times at USCIS service centers fairer.
http://helptsc.tumblr.com/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Married. 10-16-2011. (L)

I-130 Sent. 03-14-2014 PD changed 6-24-2013. Received DS-261 / AOS Bill: 05-28-2014.

I-130 NOA1. 03-20-2013. Pay AOS Bill: 05-28- 2014. smileys-money-114847.gif

Returned to me due to mistake. 04-27-2013. Submit DS-261: 05-28-2014 Scanned on May 30 Th.
Returned to USCIS
04-30-2013. Send AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Returned to me again USCIS mistake.
05-14-2013. Send AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Returned to USCIS. 06-24-2013 due to travel. Receive IV Bill: 07-07-2014. 2uge4p4.gif
I-130 NOA2, Approved. 04-08-2014. Send IV Package: 07-22-2014 Scanned 07/24/2014.
Your I-130 was approved in 283, actual 343 days.
Submitted DS-260; 07/14/2014

Arrived NVC. 04-25-2014. NVC requested parents marriage cert, 10/10/2014

Case number given. 05-20-2014. Last scan date, 10/22/2014
Sent AOS Package: 06-10-2014. AOS Approved: 12-16-2014. egyptian.gif
Sent AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Receive I-864 Package: 06-25-2014.
Pay AOS Bill: 05-28- 2014. smileys-money-114847.gif

CASE COMPLETE : They lied, 09-17-2014 42.gifActual CC 12-16-2014. Finally smiley-sick014.gif

Interview date given on 12-29-2014. Interview date 02-19-2015

01-29-2015 - Medical

02-19-2015 - Interview: Denied, reason given does not believe we are a Bona Fide marriage. voodoo-smiley-emoticon.gif groin-kick-smiley-emoticon.gif

-----------------------------------------

9hftc5sfgir1vd95.png

Timeline

I'm not sure but have patience someone will come by to answer your questions soon I hope. :) Good luck to you hope you find a job soon. Ok still need more answers to be sure. But I agree they can't fire someone for having a baby so you need to seek help for this.

Hmm isn't it illegal to get fired for being pregnant? Might want to consult a lawyer on that one.

Did your wife sponsor you? If yes, then yes this is an issue.

yes she got fired because she was working with disabled kids and she can't do her job anymore that's weird but it happened.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

yes she got fired because she was working with disabled kids and she can't do her job anymore that's weird but it happened.

Get a lawyer to work pro-Bono which is free until you win the case then they get a %. I don't think they can do this unless it's in a contract but you should look into it as soon as possible.

America, Give Me My Spouse/Fiancé !

https://www.youtube....O6dwPf8HqZBzjUA

Help us make processing times at USCIS service centers fairer.
http://helptsc.tumblr.com/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Married. 10-16-2011. (L)

I-130 Sent. 03-14-2014 PD changed 6-24-2013. Received DS-261 / AOS Bill: 05-28-2014.

I-130 NOA1. 03-20-2013. Pay AOS Bill: 05-28- 2014. smileys-money-114847.gif

Returned to me due to mistake. 04-27-2013. Submit DS-261: 05-28-2014 Scanned on May 30 Th.
Returned to USCIS
04-30-2013. Send AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Returned to me again USCIS mistake.
05-14-2013. Send AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Returned to USCIS. 06-24-2013 due to travel. Receive IV Bill: 07-07-2014. 2uge4p4.gif
I-130 NOA2, Approved. 04-08-2014. Send IV Package: 07-22-2014 Scanned 07/24/2014.
Your I-130 was approved in 283, actual 343 days.
Submitted DS-260; 07/14/2014

Arrived NVC. 04-25-2014. NVC requested parents marriage cert, 10/10/2014

Case number given. 05-20-2014. Last scan date, 10/22/2014
Sent AOS Package: 06-10-2014. AOS Approved: 12-16-2014. egyptian.gif
Sent AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Receive I-864 Package: 06-25-2014.
Pay AOS Bill: 05-28- 2014. smileys-money-114847.gif

CASE COMPLETE : They lied, 09-17-2014 42.gifActual CC 12-16-2014. Finally smiley-sick014.gif

Interview date given on 12-29-2014. Interview date 02-19-2015

01-29-2015 - Medical

02-19-2015 - Interview: Denied, reason given does not believe we are a Bona Fide marriage. voodoo-smiley-emoticon.gif groin-kick-smiley-emoticon.gif

-----------------------------------------

9hftc5sfgir1vd95.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/pregnancy.cfm

She should be covered under this. Did she talk to HR about this?

Edited by nitsirk7562

Timeline

Just saying it's not just weird, it's illegal. She needs to find out what's going on.

With a K1 visa, immigrants are rejected if they become public charges. Your wife, by applying for aid, has become a public charge. If she is your sponsor, this is a big problem. You have to prove that you can support yourself without relying on the government. Hopefully you can find a job soon to prove that you can support yourself.

I'm not sure what the correct answer is but I want to point out that the advice given so far seems to contradict some advice given in another thread which stated that if the the US spouse received public assistance it wasn't an issue as long as they still earned at 125 percent poverty level OR they have a co-sponsor. Apparently you can still meet the poverty level and still qualify for things such as food stamps. Can someone maybe clear this up?

Timeline

No, I'd agree with that actually! The immigrant is the one who can't go on assistance. So if she lost her job and he's laid off, neither of them make 125% of the poverty level. OP just hasn't answered who the sponsor is. The thing I don't know is if you can add a co-sponsor after you've already filed. That would be the solution. Or if he/she gets a job soon.

I'm not sure what the correct answer is but I want to point out that the advice given so far seems to contradict some advice given in another thread which stated that if the the US spouse received public assistance it wasn't an issue as long as they still earned at 125 percent poverty level OR they have a co-sponsor. Apparently you can still meet the poverty level and still qualify for things such as food stamps. Can someone maybe clear this up?

Timeline

if one of us got a job soon should we cancel the food stamp and the Medicaid ? and that is it ? or we should call the USCIS and tell them that we have a job right now ? i really don't know what to do if i got a job soon ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

You can keep your Food stamps and Medicaid for your children as long as needed. The US Citizen and US Citizen Children can receive benefits. The immigrant can not. No reason to report this to USCIS, you would report getting a job to your local food stamp office. As long as you're citizens all is fine, just don't list the immigrant spouse to receive benefits. I hope things get better for you, Best of Luck :)

Edited by tru_loves_journey

event.png

event.png

Timeline

You can keep your Food stamps and Medicaid for your children as long as needed. The US Citizen and US Citizen Children can receive benefits. The immigrant can not. No reason to report this to USCIS, you would report getting a job to your local food stamp office. As long as you're citizens all is fine, just don't list the immigrant spouse to receive benefits. I hope things get better for you, Best of Luck :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Just saying it's not just weird, it's illegal. She needs to find out what's going on.

With a K1 visa, immigrants are rejected if they become public charges. Your wife, by applying for aid, has become a public charge. If she is your sponsor, this is a big problem. You have to prove that you can support yourself without relying on the government. Hopefully you can find a job soon to prove that you can support yourself.

The USC petitioner/sponsor can receive benefits. It is the intending immigrant that is not eligible to receive means tested benefits.

This is correct. The USC can receive public assistance. They sign an I-864 stating the intending immigrant will not become a public charge, and if they do, the government can make them pay it back. They are not signing to state they themselves are not eligible as a USC and that they will not receive public assistance. If they qualify for it, then they can receive it.

A_M > If you are called for an interview, then you will need to take updated financial info. If your USC spouse is still unemployed, then she will need to get a joint sponsor.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

The USC petitioner/sponsor can receive benefits. It is the intending immigrant that is not eligible to receive means tested benefits.

This is correct. The USC can receive public assistance. They sign an I-864 stating the intending immigrant will not become a public charge, and if they do, the government can make them pay it back. They are not signing to state they themselves are not eligible as a USC and that they will not receive public assistance. If they qualify for it, then they can receive it.

A_M > If you are called for an interview, then you will need to take updated financial info. If your USC spouse is still unemployed, then she will need to get a joint sponsor.

I Filed my AOS on March and got

Notice of Potential Interview Waive letter

so there is no interview needed.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Sacked because she's pregnant, what is this 1920?! Good luck with your job search.

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.