babaji

Hi, All. Marrying a Thai national and would like thoughts, comments, criticisms

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi, folks,

My name is Mark from Daly City, CA. I met a Thai girl 3+ years ago online and, after about 5 (or 6?) meetings in person - mostly me going there - we have decided to tie the knot. She is a teacher living in Ubon Ratchathani at the moment but will quit that and move to my home in California next year as long as things go well.

The idea is to have a ceremony in Thailand in late April and move her here in July. First on my mind is the method to get that to happen as planned. She wants to finish her work "cleanly" by ending at the end of a term and requesting permission to leave her post (apparently that is the protocol). After that, she will make things tidy with her parents and sisters and then move here.

Options that exist which I am most immediately aware of are a) the K-1 fiance visa; and b) the B2 which she currently has and has used twice (hers is good for a total of 10 years I believe she said). If moving here on the B2, we will get married legally here and then get to work on changing her status.

I am curious about the pros and cons of each and the timing required for each. Any thoughts and suggestions?

Plus, something off-topic from visa processing is the sin sod in Thai weddings. Does anybody have experience with that and was it solved amicably? And a second off-topic subject is that of prenuptial agreements. What are members' views of these and how best should it be put together? Is it recommended to use legal guides such as those published by Nolo Press or is hiring an attorney preferred?

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.

Mark

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi, congrats on taking a step together with your love on your life together.

She cannot come to the US on a B2 with the intent to immigrate. That is visa fraud and could have serious repercussions for the future.

Your options include the CR1 and K1 visas.

Adjustment of Status is an option if she came for a visit and then you decided to marry. You could apply to adjust status then but coming on a B2 with the expressed intent to marry is fraud.

I hope that helps.

RobbieG,

Dallas, TX

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi, folks,

My name is Mark from Daly City, CA. I met a Thai girl 3+ years ago online and, after about 5 (or 6?) meetings in person - mostly me going there - we have decided to tie the knot. She is a teacher living in Ubon Ratchathani at the moment but will quit that and move to my home in California next year as long as things go well.

The idea is to have a ceremony in Thailand in late April and move her here in July. First on my mind is the method to get that to happen as planned. She wants to finish her work "cleanly" by ending at the end of a term and requesting permission to leave her post (apparently that is the protocol). After that, she will make things tidy with her parents and sisters and then move here.

Options that exist which I am most immediately aware of are a) the K-1 fiance visa; and b) the B2 which she currently has and has used twice (hers is good for a total of 10 years I believe she said). If moving here on the B2, we will get married legally here and then get to work on changing her status.

I am curious about the pros and cons of each and the timing required for each. Any thoughts and suggestions?

Plus, something off-topic from visa processing is the sin sod in Thai weddings. Does anybody have experience with that and was it solved amicably? And a second off-topic subject is that of prenuptial agreements. What are members' views of these and how best should it be put together? Is it recommended to use legal guides such as those published by Nolo Press or is hiring an attorney preferred?

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.

Mark

The quickest way will be the K-1 visa. It's fine to have a ceremony in Thailand, just don't register it with the Amphur. That would make you legally married an your wife would be ineligible for K-1 visa.

You might want to post Thai specific questions in the Thailand forum here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/151-thailand/

The sin sod question. It's different for everyone. Has she been married before? How old is she? etc. etc. That comes in to play. The fact that you're a farang also jacks the price up quite a bit. In a lot of cases the sin sod is for show at the wedding, and then there's an agreement that they'll give some or all of it back after the wedding.

In my particular case there was no sin sod or wedding party. We just went to the Amphur in Bangkok, sign here, sign there, and that was it. I was in danger of being deported from Thailand, so we got married and so that could get a Thai Non-O marriage visa to stay in Thailand.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Timeline

Thanks for the replies. I did not know using the B2 would be fraud as it was suggested by an attorney here (but he did imply that proposal happen after she got here). If going with the K-1, how long would it take for it to be processed?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Welcome and good luck...check our timeline to get an idea...

9/16/2013-I-129-F Petition Rec`d-(Dallas lockbox, transfered to CSC)
9/19/2013-Notice Date- NOA-1
10/1/2013-Notice Date- NOA-2-I-129-F Petition Approved!
11/1/2013-NVC Rec`d I-129-F Petition
11/14/2013- U.S.Consulate- BKK Rec`d I-129-F
11/23/2013-Rec`d Packet 3
12/1/2013-Medical Exam
12/9/2013-Packet 3 sent to U.S. Consulate-BKK
12/16/2013-Rec`d Packet 4
1/22/2014-Interview/Approved!
1/25/2014-Rec`d Visa/Passport (Korat)

4/30/2014-POE-Chicago-O`Hare
5/1/2014-Successful S.S.# Application(Chicago office)Marriage License(Cook County)
5/2/2014-Married!
5/16/2014-AOS,I-765,I-131 package received by U.S.C.I.S.
5/19/2014-Notice Date- NOA-1`s
5/23/2014-Rec`d Biometrics Appointment Notice
5/30/2014-Early Biometrics(Chicago location)
7/26/2014-I-765 and I-131 Approved (card production)
8/01/2014-Rec`d Combo Card
9/10/2014-Rec`d Potential Interview Waiver Letter
3/20/2015-Filed form with CIS Ombudsman requesting assistance with AOS.
3/21/2015-Rec`d case# from Ombudsman.
4/03/2015-Sent I-765/I-131 renewal documents to U.S.C.I.S.
4/9/2015- NOA Notice Dates-I-765/I-131 renewal.
4/10/2015-NOA Notice Date-Biometrics Appt.for I-765/I-131 renewal.
4/27/2015-Biometrics Appt.for I-765/I-131 renewal.

5/22/2015-Rec`d RFE for expired Medical Exam.

5/23/2015-Rec`d Renewal Combo Card.

6/8/2015-Updated I-693 Medical Exam sent to U.S.C.I.S. (New York office)

6/20/2015-Rec`d Welcome Letter.

6/24/2015-Rec`d Green Card via U.S.P.S.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

If sin sot has come up also be aware of your future wife's expectation to continue to support her family from America. If she is traditional Thai, she will continue to support them the rest of their lives and may expect you to chip in. In the least I would recommend that you speak to her about this as it has been a sticky issue in many Western/Thai relationships. To understand this culturally it comes down to mae nom แม่นม - mother's milk - the belief that since the parents have sustained you growing up, you owe it to them to return the favor as they age.

All the best

Timeline

Yes, ThaitoUSA, sin sod has, indeed, come up and we have agreed on a certain amount. An agreement has also been made that 70% (of the cash) will be returned. Of course there is no guarantee that it will be returned but it's the current understanding. So, I understand it as really just being a "face" thing and I am comfortable with that. Your other point of supporting the family is well understood, too. She has a younger sister for whom she helps support University expenses which doesn't really amount to that much so I'm pretty ok with it. Her parents are still able-bodied and currently doing things for income so they will not be supported (for now!). So, all in all, it seems ok for the time being although things can always change and probably will :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Going ahead and moving thread from the Introducing Our Members forum to the Thailand regional forum, for best concentration of country-specific advice.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.