John Erd

Adjustment of Status after entering the US on a B2 Visa

24 posts in this topic

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hi all,

new user here.

Here is my scenario:

I have met my fiancee online (she is a US citizen, we met in April this year) and we met each other in person back in August this year, everything went spectacularly well for us. My plans are for the next couple months to quit my job in November, go on a long vacation to see her (I am a B2 visa holder) for about a month aproximately.

My question is, what would happen if I decide to stay longer with her and we eventually get married, 4 months after my arrival to the country, and apply for an adjustment of status? Cause to be honest I don't want to go through the whole 'saying good-bye' process ever again, it was so painful.

When the interview comes, how will I be able to prove my intent was NOT to get married and apply for AoS? Right now I live with my parents in my home country. I have bank and credit card accounts here in my country, together with services at my name and a small amount of debts.

Please I need advise for my situation, it would be highly appreciated. Also I invite anyone who did this and everything went just fine, to simply share his/her experience.

Kind regards and thanks in advance for all the feedback.

How strange you come to this site and asking for suggestions to show that "You have not INTENT to stay and AOS"

You already show your intention here you are planning to exact to do that.

Edited by Merrytooth

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi all,

new user here.

Here is my scenario:

I have met my fiancee online (she is a US citizen, we met in April this year) and we met each other in person back in August this year, everything went spectacularly well for us. My plans are for the next couple months to quit my job in November, go on a long vacation to see her (I am a B2 visa holder) for about a month aproximately.

My question is, what would happen if I decide to stay longer with her and we eventually get married, 4 months after my arrival to the country, and apply for an adjustment of status? Cause to be honest I don't want to go through the whole 'saying good-bye' process ever again, it was so painful.

When the interview comes, how will I be able to prove my intent was NOT to get married and apply for AoS? Right now I live with my parents in my home country. I have bank and credit card accounts here in my country, together with services at my name and a small amount of debts.

Please I need advise for my situation, it would be highly appreciated. Also I invite anyone who did this and everything went just fine, to simply share his/her experience.

wait in line like everyone else. at least you have a vistor's visa. many people here don't even have that luxury.

K1 Visa Event Date Service Center : Texas Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F: Sent 9/5/2014

I-129F: Arrived at Lewisville 9/8/2014

I-129F: NOA1 Text message/mail 9/11/2014

I-129F: Alien Registration Number Changed 9/16/2014

I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014

I-129F: Name Change request made 10/31/2014

I-129F: Crickets as of today

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

How strange you come to this site and asking for suggestions to show that "You have not INTENT to stay and AOS"

You already show your intention here you are planning to exact to do that.

First of all, it is not strange, cause I haven't made my decision about it yet. I might need to decide while I'm on my trip, otherwise I wouldn't be starting this topic.

Second, I said 4 months as I could have said 2, 3, 4, 5 or whatever. If I had it all figured out then again I wouldn't be posting this topic. My intention right now is to spend time with her, we haven't even

discussed where we were going to marry, or when, we are only engaged.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Something to come back and ask about after your are in the US.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Hi all,

new user here.

Here is my scenario:

Your intention is pretty clear. You are not "only engaged" like you state in your post, you are obviously pretty far in your relationship already if you guys have made the decision to get married. Of course you can visit with your B-2 visa, and of course there has been many people that has adjusted successfully from this visa. However, your intentions (from the sentences I highlighted in your post) are called visa fraud. Just wanted to make sure you know that.

Edit: just to clarify, I did not mean that you not wanting to say good bye ever again is visa fraud (obviously not). It just looked like you suggested that you do not intend to leave once you are here.

Edited by Pickle

Naturalization:

12/13/18: File online application

12/15/18: Receive notification for biometrics appointment (no date)

12/31/18: Biometrics

02/25/19: Receive interview letter (April 8 )

04/08/19: Interview, approved!

04/12/19: Oath scheduled for April 26 

04/26/19: Oath Ceremony! 🇺🇸

ROC:

04/26/17:  Sent ROC package

04/27/17:  Package received

05/20/17:  Biometrics letter received

06/02/17:  Biometrics

08/22/18:  Card being produced

AOS from F1 visa:

08/16/14: Sent AOS package: I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131

08/19/14: Package received at Chicago Lockbox

08/22/14: Acceptance confirmation text messages/emails

08/22/14: Checks cashed

08/26/14: Hard copies of NOA's received in mail

08/27/14: Biometrics appointment notice received. Scheduled for 9/8/14.

09/08/14: Biometrics

11/14/14: File service request (Day 88)

11/24/14: EAD/AP approved (Day 98)

12/01/14: EAD mailed

12/03/14: EAD received

03/12/15: Status changed to Testing & Interview

04/16/15: Interview, no decision

07/17/15: "Your card is in production" email!

08/07/15: Card mailed

08/10/15: Card received!

~11 months, 3 weeks & 4 days from filing to green card in hand, no RFE's~

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi all,

new user here.

Here is my scenario:

Just curious, but you've already expressed what your plans are...namely, to "quit your job in November, go on a vacation to see her for about a month approximately." Most people don't make plans to quit their jobs and use their B2 visa as it was intended...for tourism purposes. IMHO, it sounds like you truly are making plans to later prove that your intent was not to get married and apply for AOS.

Example: If I were considering committing a crime, I wouldn't research/find out what the consequences of actually participating in it or exploring what the consequences of being an accessory to it would be. Wouldn't that be considered advance planning such as you seem to be?

Edited by Torete

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Many tourists come in and change their minds once they are stateside. So long as you don't lie at the POE upon your arrival you shouldn't have any problems applying for a GC, if you were to decide to get married after you entered the country. People do it all the time.

Hi all,

new user here.

Here is my scenario:

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

Many tourists come in and change their minds once they are stateside. So long as you don't lie at the POE upon your arrival you shouldn't have any problems applying for a GC, if you were to decide to get married after you entered the country. People do it all the time.

Exactly, but the comments were predictable and somewhat amusing.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I also said in my post that of course it is possible and people adjust from B2 visas all the time. However, OP is not even in the US yet (like you say, people change their minds once they are stateside) and he is already making these plans. So not really any minds to be changed once he is here.

Naturalization:

12/13/18: File online application

12/15/18: Receive notification for biometrics appointment (no date)

12/31/18: Biometrics

02/25/19: Receive interview letter (April 8 )

04/08/19: Interview, approved!

04/12/19: Oath scheduled for April 26 

04/26/19: Oath Ceremony! 🇺🇸

ROC:

04/26/17:  Sent ROC package

04/27/17:  Package received

05/20/17:  Biometrics letter received

06/02/17:  Biometrics

08/22/18:  Card being produced

AOS from F1 visa:

08/16/14: Sent AOS package: I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131

08/19/14: Package received at Chicago Lockbox

08/22/14: Acceptance confirmation text messages/emails

08/22/14: Checks cashed

08/26/14: Hard copies of NOA's received in mail

08/27/14: Biometrics appointment notice received. Scheduled for 9/8/14.

09/08/14: Biometrics

11/14/14: File service request (Day 88)

11/24/14: EAD/AP approved (Day 98)

12/01/14: EAD mailed

12/03/14: EAD received

03/12/15: Status changed to Testing & Interview

04/16/15: Interview, no decision

07/17/15: "Your card is in production" email!

08/07/15: Card mailed

08/10/15: Card received!

~11 months, 3 weeks & 4 days from filing to green card in hand, no RFE's~

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

There is always a lot of emotion around this subject, but it is spelled out very clearly in the field manual...go to this link, and search for the 30/60 day rule and read every word of it, and your confusion about how it is implemented should evaporate. Actually, you should read this entire section of the manual, since it makes inadmissibility questions very clear, although it takes A LOT of words sometimes, and you have to plow through it.

Enjoy !!

http://www.state.gov...ation/87011.pdf

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi all,

new user here.

Here is my scenario:

To be honest what you are planning is called visa fraud. Its also a TOS violation for members to assist you to do that. If you do this as stated so you don't have to say goodbye again and get caught it will be a long time before you say hello in the USA again. Its hard to believe you don't intend to abuse the B2 when we read these statements such as asking anyone that did what you are asking and " everything went fine ". Seems like you are trying to pattern your actions after theirs which indicates your real intentions.

You will just have to decide what you want to do once you are inside the USA. What becomes most important is your intentions prior to entering.

Timeline

Yeah, people come and "change" their minds all of a sudden. One of the reasons it is hard to get a vistor's visa in some countries is exactly because of what the OP is trying to do. For every person that commits visa fraud there will be another person with a legitimate case for a visa that will be denied because of the prevalency of such fraud.

I doubt if this is a major factor, more likely people staying who have no adjustment opportunity. Or abuse their status or more often both.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.