gingernugget

Packet 3 questions

3 posts in this topic

We've been wanting to send in our packet 3 but of course we have questions and they won't answer them over the phone orrr reply to emails!

First question is in regards to the Packet 3 Instructions Materials; on the letter that I received yesterday it sent me to a PDF photo of the required documentation. On the bottom of that PDF it shows that version was revised on July 27, 2012. Buttttttt on the website there is also a Packet 3 instructions Material for K-1 Visa that was revised October 8, 2013. The newer version of this packet 3 request only includes a request for three (3) documents:

1. DS-160 confirmation page

2. Scanned copy of Packet 3 Checklist

3. Colour-scanned copy of the biographic data page of applicants passport

Sooooooo my question is, will these three documents suffice or do I need to include all scanned copies of the seven (7) required documents (including DS-230 Part 1, DS-156, DS 156K) on the 2012 revised edition? Like on the 2012 edition it requests that you also send all items on the checklist with the DS-156K such as police certificate and affidavit of support and supporting documents, do I need to attach these? We have all of the needed forms and supporting documents, I would just like to make sure I'm sending everything I need...... Confused.

The second question we have is in regards to the Affidavit of Support. On the website and in the Packet 3 Checklist only states that he has to fill out the Affidavit of Support (I-134) and supporting documentation. My fiancé has already accumulated all of the required supporting documentation for the I-134. But I thought I saw somewhere he needed the other ones too....would just like to know if there are any other forms he needs to fill out to accompany this Affidavit of support such as the I-864, etc? And I know there are fees for the I-864 etc....

Gingernugget

The newer one is the current one, everything is done digitally now at Montreal. In all honesty, everything on the DS-230, DS-156/K is on the DS-160. We went through the process when we had to do all of them...and it was a lot of redundant questions, each form asking the same things, the DS-160 is the most thorough.

The I-864 will get done when you Adjust Status after getting married, or if you are applying for a visa and are already married. The I-134 is for the K-1 / fiance visa.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

The newer one is the current one, everything is done digitally now at Montreal. In all honesty, everything on the DS-230, DS-156/K is on the DS-160. We went through the process when we had to do all of them...and it was a lot of redundant questions, each form asking the same things, the DS-160 is the most thorough.

The I-864 will get done when you Adjust Status after getting married, or if you are applying for a visa and are already married. The I-134 is for the K-1 / fiance visa.

Thank you sooo much!! Just sent it in :) fingers crossed!!!

Gingernugget

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.