J&S - Michigan

Australia Police certificates

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Can anyone give me some advice about the police certificates?

We are at the stage where I have just mailed in my affidavit of support documents, and my husband just filed out the IV form online. Now he needs to send in the supporting documents.

I am confused though-does he need to send a police certificate to the NVC? I thought that the police certificate needs to be sent to the consulate in Sydney? Does he need to get two?

Also I'm a bit confused by the wording on the state department website. Do we need to send in original documents PLUS a photocopy of the original documents?

I hope I don't have to send a police certificate to the NVC--this whole process is so slow, I hope I don't have to get the police cert and then mail it to them :(

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

From the reciprocity page of the NVC website:

Police Certificates - All Australia

Police certificates are required for each visa applicant aged 16 years and older. Applicants are required to apply for a Police certificate ensuring that the certificate addresses all known names and/or aliases.

For information on how and where to apply, please refer to the table below according to your current place of residence.

If you are applying through the New South Wales or Queensland police, your police record will be sent directly to the U.S. Consulate in Sydney. The Criminal Records Section of their offices will notify you that this has been done. If you do not receive this notification within 4 weeks of your application, we strongly recommend that you ascertain the status of your records by checking at the police station where you initially made your request.

Where I currently reside

Where to look for information

Overseas

Australian Federal Police website

New South Wales

New South Wales Police website

Queensland

Queensland Police website

ACT

Western Australia

Western Australia Police website

Victoria

Victoria Police website

Tasmania

Tasmanian Police website

Northern Territory

Northern Territory Police website

South Australia

South Australia Police website

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

I am at the same stage are you... I've just orgnaised my police certificate... and also that I'm frustrated at how slow this process is hahaha.

With the police certificate, it depends on where you are currently living. If you are in NSW and QLD, the state police will send your record directly to the consulate. The offices at the NVC will know this is the case. I suspect they won't schedule an appointment until the consulate acknowledges receipt of the certificate. It is also important to know that there is mass confusion and ambiguity around getting a name check only or fingerprints and name check search done. I have found that a lot of people have been asked to get a fingerprint search done... so I decided to get a fingerprint and name search done up front so as not to delay this process any further. I just included a copy of the receipt with my IV application document pack to show that it has been organised.

You need to send originals of the documents which were asked for as originals - Birth certificate, Marriage certificate etc. You need to also include a photocopy of these. It is an idea to also have a 3rd copy to take to the interview.

Good luck.

S

All documents have to be originals. You need to submit the original of everything except the passport, plus one legible photocopy of each doc.

As for the police certificate this varies greatly by country. It looks like, from the other post, that it in some parts of Australia they send it directly to the consulate. If they don't you would send it to the NVC.

Also you have to be aware of any specific consulate requirements. For example, in the embassy here in DR, they require an updated police certificate for the day of the interview.

Please check this link and select from the list of consulates, the one where you will go, to see if they have any specific requirements in addition to the regular process.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/interview/prepare.html

This does not constitute legal advice.

Timeline

All documents have to be originals. You need to submit the original of everything except the passport, plus one legible photocopy of each doc.

As for the police certificate this varies greatly by country. It looks like, from the other post, that it in some parts of Australia they send it directly to the consulate. If they don't you would send it to the NVC.

Also you have to be aware of any specific consulate requirements. For example, in the embassy here in DR, they require an updated police certificate for the day of the interview.

Please check this link and select from the list of consulates, the one where you will go, to see if they have any specific requirements in addition to the regular process.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/interview/prepare.html

Thanks Ian! Appreciate the help!

From the reciprocity page of the NVC website:

Police Certificates - All Australia

Police certificates are required for each visa applicant aged 16 years and older. Applicants are required to apply for a Police certificate ensuring that the certificate addresses all known names and/or aliases.

For information on how and where to apply, please refer to the table below according to your current place of residence.

If you are applying through the New South Wales or Queensland police, your police record will be sent directly to the U.S. Consulate in Sydney. The Criminal Records Section of their offices will notify you that this has been done. If you do not receive this notification within 4 weeks of your application, we strongly recommend that you ascertain the status of your records by checking at the police station where you initially made your request.

Where I currently reside

Where to look for information

Overseas

New South Wales

New South Wales Police website

Queensland

Queensland Police website

ACT

Western Australia

Western Australia Police website

Victoria

Victoria Police website

Tasmania

Tasmanian Police website

Northern Territory

Northern Territory Police website

South Australia

South Australia Police website

Thanks NLR!

I am at the same stage are you... I've just orgnaised my police certificate... and also that I'm frustrated at how slow this process is hahaha.

With the police certificate, it depends on where you are currently living. If you are in NSW and QLD, the state police will send your record directly to the consulate. The offices at the NVC will know this is the case. I suspect they won't schedule an appointment until the consulate acknowledges receipt of the certificate. It is also important to know that there is mass confusion and ambiguity around getting a name check only or fingerprints and name check search done. I have found that a lot of people have been asked to get a fingerprint search done... so I decided to get a fingerprint and name search done up front so as not to delay this process any further. I just included a copy of the receipt with my IV application document pack to show that it has been organised.

You need to send originals of the documents which were asked for as originals - Birth certificate, Marriage certificate etc. You need to also include a photocopy of these. It is an idea to also have a 3rd copy to take to the interview.

Good luck.

S

Thanks for the tip Stephen! I'm in Sydney. Great tip to send the receipt to the NVC, I'll do that. Thanks heaps!

Timeline

Good luck.

S

Stephen, are you in NSW? When you fill out the request for the police cert online, does it ask the address where you want it sent? Did you put this address?

U.S. Consulate General

ATTN: Visa unit *

Level 10, MLC Centre

19-29 Martin Place

Sydney, NSW 2000

Cheers, Sarah

Stephen, are you in NSW? When you fill out the request for the police cert online, does it ask the address where you want it sent? Did you put this address?

U.S. Consulate General

ATTN: Visa unit *

Level 10, MLC Centre

19-29 Martin Place

Sydney, NSW 2000

Cheers, Sarah

No, I'm in QLD. Yes that is the address.

Timeline

Good luck.

S

Hi Stephen,

I've been trying to call the NVC last night and this morning to ask about the whole finger prints thing and I can't get through. I didn't realise it was like $100 more with fingerprints.

I can't find anywhere online where it says you need fingerprints. Did you see some Aussies on here saying that they needed the fingerprints done?

Cheers,

Sarah

Hi Stephen,

I've been trying to call the NVC last night and this morning to ask about the whole finger prints thing and I can't get through. I didn't realise it was like $100 more with fingerprints.

I can't find anywhere online where it says you need fingerprints. Did you see some Aussies on here saying that they needed the fingerprints done?

Cheers,

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

I feel your pain. This seems to have caused so many people confusion and frustrations. The US Consulate in Canberra specifically states "You only need to apply for 1 Australian police certificate and it can be based on a name or fingerprint check. A police check based on name check only must contain all aliases previously and presently used. Failure to provide a name check certificate with all aliases may result in the consular officer refusing your application for a police certificate based on a fingerprint check".

http://canberra.usembassy.gov/iv_faqs.html#police

I did a search and there were just a few Aussies asked to get fingerprints done but others who didn't have to. Frustratingly, we are unable to call the US consulate in Sydney to get clarificate as they only communicate via email. Ugh! I sent them an email asking:

"Dear Visa Information services,

I am applying for a marriage based Immigrant Visa and am in the process of putting all the supporting documentation together.

I currently live in Queensland, Australia and I need to obtain a police certificate. My question is, does the police certificate search have to be name and fingerprints or just name only search?"

Their response was:

"Thank you for your inquiry.

To obtain the police certificate you must list All Aliases used during or prior to your residing in Australia. Please be sure to note that your request is for the purpose of immigration".

So just today I decided that I will submit a name only search police certificate and go down the fingerprint road if they specifically request it. I understand the problems arrise from the rules changing at the US consulate here in Australia but the information at the NVC remain unchanged.

Hope this helped.

Stephen.

Edited by stephen.marlow

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi I was interviewed at Sydney office in July and I just took my original police certificate with me and they made the photocopy nd gave me original back they didn't ask for any paper wrk before interview I took all my orugionl paperwork on the day of interview which they requested in the letter .i got approved and I moved to usa nd got married I was from Melbourne .

Timeline

Hi Sarah,

I feel your pain. This seems to have caused so many people confusion and frustrations. The US Consulate in Canberra specifically states "You only need to apply for 1 Australian police certificate and it can be based on a name or fingerprint check. A police check based on name check only must contain all aliases previously and presently used. Failure to provide a name check certificate with all aliases may result in the consular officer refusing your application for a police certificate based on a fingerprint check".

http://canberra.usembassy.gov/iv_faqs.html#police

I did a search and there were just a few Aussies asked to get fingerprints done but others who didn't have to. Frustratingly, we are unable to call the US consulate in Sydney to get clarificate as they only communicate via email. Ugh! I sent them an email asking:

"Dear Visa Information services,

I am applying for a marriage based Immigrant Visa and am in the process of putting all the supporting documentation together.

I currently live in Queensland, Australia and I need to obtain a police certificate. My question is, does the police certificate search have to be name and fingerprints or just name only search?"

Their response was:

"Thank you for your inquiry.

To obtain the police certificate you must list All Aliases used during or prior to your residing in Australia. Please be sure to note that your request is for the purpose of immigration".

So just today I decided that I will submit a name only search police certificate and go down the fingerprint road if they specifically request it. I understand the problems arrise from the rules changing at the US consulate here in Australia but the information at the NVC remain unchanged.

Hope this helped.

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen, we also decided to go with name check only,. Hopefully that's what they want. I received an email saying my Affidavit of support documents were received a few days ago and that it would be 60 days to review that. I'm hoping I can get an interview before the end of the year! Cheers, Sarah

Hi I was interviewed at Sydney office in July and I just took my original police certificate with me and they made the photocopy nd gave me original back they didn't ask for any paper wrk before interview I took all my orugionl paperwork on the day of interview which they requested in the letter .i got approved and I moved to usa nd got married I was from Melbourne .

Thanks for your response! It's great to hear from people who have been improved! It gives me hope that this process will eventually end--it sure takes forever!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.