Nordlandcc

Trying to start before the beginning

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hello, I am an American citizen living here in the U.S. and am planning on getting married in Kenya since this is where my fiance lives and so that her family can attend the wedding. Is a K-3 visa the best and most efficient way to go? We don't want to do the K-1 visa since her family would not be able to travel to the States. I am hoping by joining this forum now I will learn from the experience of others and stop myself from making unnecessary mistakes. Any advice to a newbee would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Kevin

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Introducing our Members to What Visa Do I Need Family Visa Forum~

~Inquiry about family visas~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello, I am an American citizen living here in the U.S. and am planning on getting married in Kenya since this is where my fiance lives and so that her family can attend the wedding. Is a K-3 visa the best and most efficient way to go? We don't want to do the K-1 visa since her family would not be able to travel to the States. I am hoping by joining this forum now I will learn from the experience of others and stop myself from making unnecessary mistakes. Any advice to a newbee would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Kevin

K3s are almost completely obsolete these days. Since the i-130s are processed faster or at the same time, the i-130 which is for the IR1/CR1 spousal visa class takes over. This type of visa will get your husband a green card and work authorization in the states, plus a social security number. So unlike the K1, you aren't spending money on adjustment of status.

After you get married make sure you get your marriage certificate translated. For the i-130 you will need evidence of your relationship, including but not limited to: photos, letters from family, chat logs, phone logs, Skype screenshots, etc. The package you send in the beginning is fairly simple. I highly recommend getting into the regional discussions for Kenya to find out more about that consulate specifically.

Welcome to the forum and hope we can help ?

0fb4b110-8058-4795-a9f6-fc7490beaf3d.jpg

Thanks,

Kevin

Have a look at the comparison chart here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

-There is a detailed discussion there on the pros and cons of each visa type.

Just disregard the K-3 option as it is practically obsolete and the DCF since it's not applicable for you. If you intend to marry in Kenya, then the IR1/CR1 visa option is the more viable option for you guys. For more info: http://www.visajourney.com/content/guides

heart.gif After all, we're all just walking home ...heart.gif

:energy: N-400 in progess ...

01/14/2013 Filed I-129f

07/31/2013 I-129f NOA2

11/04/2013 Visa Received

11/21/2013 POE: Honolulu .. Aloha!

01/27/2014 Wedding day! (L)

03/11/2014 Filed I-485, I-131 and I-765

05/31/2014 EAD/AP card received

06/27/2014 Green card received

05/12/2016 Filed I-751

05/25/2016 Check cashed

05/26/2016 NOA (Dated 05/16) Received

06/20/2016 Biometric Appointment

05/07/2017 10-year Green card received

N-400

07/02/2018 Filed N-400 online

07/24/2018 Biometric Appointment

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Sweet Caeks, thank you so much for the information. I am really struggling with not using the K-3 visa. I had an attorney tell me the K-3 visa could take as little as 4-5 months to get my bride here. I don't mind the extra work when she gets here, as her working is not something we are planning on. I would rather have her with me for the extra couple of months and then go through the process to adjust her status while we are together as opposed to waiting so long for the I-130. Is there fault in my thinking and am I missing something if time/money for adjustment is not an issue?

That attorney lied. Do not use them.

It is USCIS policy to adjudicate the I-130 and I-129F of a K3 together. It is NVC policy to close an I-129F if it reaches them at the same time or after the I-130. You asked if it was the most efficient? No. It is the least efficient visa. If it happens, which is rare, the I-130 needs to be approved for the AOS anyhow. It costs twice as much, takes almost as long, and is an inferior visa compared to the CR1/IR1.

Can the K3 be quicker? Yes. On the rare occasions (less than 1%) when it makes it to interview, the couple will skip the NVC process. However, as pointed out, it is rare. You can try if you choose to however, that's up to you.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.