Saltera519

K1 Visa Travel Tips

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello all,

Our K1 Visa was approved in Bangkok and she is ready to come to the U.S., FINALLY. Does anyone have any tips on what to expect when she arrives at the Airport here in Pensacola? Is there anymore fees we will have to pay? Any travel tips for her, she is very excited and nervous on what to expect at the POE. We are just trying to make everything as smooth as possible. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Most of what happens for a new immigrant happens at the port of entry (POE) Where the plane first touches down in the U.S.?

Most POE's have a separate line for new immigrants staffed by pretty good people who are knowledgeable about the procedures. May be advised of the need to marry in 90-days, etc., but basically just a welcome to the U.S.

Make sure she leaves the packet from the embassy sealrd and in her carry-on luggage or hand bag.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello all,

Our K1 Visa was approved in Bangkok and she is ready to come to the U.S., FINALLY. Does anyone have any tips on what to expect when she arrives at the Airport here in Pensacola? Is there anymore fees we will have to pay? Any travel tips for her, she is very excited and nervous on what to expect at the POE. We are just trying to make everything as smooth as possible. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

She files direct from BKK to Pensacola?

Timeline

Pretty sure she will no POE in Pennsy. I few out to LAX the night before, got a hotel room and was there 90 minutes early. Of course she was an hour late. Anyway, unless she reads English (mine not so well but learning very fast here now) well it you might consider it.

Timeline

Steve is right. At least for my wife who flew in to chicago. She got in the right line, presented her sealed packet of information and provided her passport and visa. The guy in charge of the line was a little new so he had difficulty understanding the visa and wanted to know why I wasn't with her!!! Anyway the guy let her pass (without saying welcome to america which still makes me mad) and I met her at the gate. Find out where her point of entry is and make sure you go there to meet her so you can help if any problems arise.

. I wish you and your future wife much luck!

Hello all,

Where does she first land in the US? How long of a lay over does she have before flying on to FL?

If the point of entry (POE) is ATL and her lay over is short, she may miss her connecting flight. She should also not recline her seat as the person behind her may beat on the back of her seat :devil:. Get plenty of rest and take a pen along to complete the CUSTOMS DECLARATION FORM they hand out on the airplane. Do not bring any of the forbidden items listed on the Customs page. Do not drink too much wine and avoid the vegetarian meals :D. Wear comfortable shoes. Wear a comfortable outfit that is not polyester or nylon--cotton or wool would be best. Get up and walk around a few times during the flight. When she gets to the POE just follow the herd of people and ask someone which line she should get in--Citizens and LPR or visitors. She will collect her luggage and proceed thru Customs only to give it back and have it rechecked to her final destination. When she arrives in FL she will be most likely on a domestic flight, so she just heads for baggage claim where you can meet her.

Good luck and congrats in getting this far,

Dave

P. S. From what I can see there are no direct flights to PNS. The most direct is BKK to NRT to ATL to PNS. There is BKK to NRT to DTW to ATL to PNS. I have been thru MSP so the BKK to NRT to MSP to ATL to PNS would not be bad except for all those connections She goes thru ATL to get to PNS, so you may want to get her a map as it is one crazy airport and I consider myself a seasoned traveler and an English speaker and it was a nightmare for me.

Edited by Dave&Roza

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hello all,

There should be no fees to pay at the airport other than a fee if you're exchange money.

When she gets off the plane, she'll want to collect her luggage, and go to the 'new immigrant' line. As she goes through, they'll take her packet, look at her visa, and scan her fingerprints, take a picture to put her in the system. Then they'll usher her and all other new immigrants into a room. All the visa packets will be piled on a desk or several desks and the Border Security Officers will go through each of the packets to make sure all is there and well. When your fiance's name is called they'll likely ask her several questions. After they determine that everything is kosher (she knows your name, where you live and it's really her), they'll send her through to the arrival gate. Depending on how many people are landing it can take from a half hour to 4 hours. So be prepared to wait at the gate for several hours.

I would recommend that she keep the K1 visa packet & her passport on her at all times, make sure it's in pristine condition. Look up other people's experiences at POE, there are several reviews on VJ. It will help her prepare for what will happen. If at all possible, I'd advise booking a hotel if you're not in the same city, so you both can rest... the Jet Lag will knock her on her butt.

The only fees you'll need to worry about is much later for the wedding, and AoS. Good Luck!

~ Don't forget to 'Vote Up' useful advice from others ~

K1 Visa Journey [April 11, 2013 - August 31, 2014]
[2014-09-20] !!! WEDDING !!!
[2014-09-22] Applied for SSN
[2014-09-26] Marriage License in Snail Mail
[2014-10-22] Notification of SSC in mail, will arrive "within 2 weeks"
[2014-10-27] SSC Arrived!

2015-04-30] Mailed AOS Package!
[2015-06-16] EAD Approved!
[2015-06-16] AP Approved!
[2015-06-23] EAD/AP Card Received!

[2015-10-02] AOS Approved (No Interview)!

[2015-10-07] Greencard Mailed

[2015-10-09] Approval Notice Recieved

[2015-10-09] Greencard Recieved!

I used RapidVisa for my petition; a paperwork service. A K1 is $375.00 to use their hassle-free online application system.

Useful Links:
Igor's List | Advanced Search Tool | Q&A With a Former USCIS Adjudicator
Visa Status Checker (Once you get a Case # from NVC) | Offical USCIS Reasons for a K1 Denial

The advice offered by this user is not legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Multiple post removed, do not derail this thread any longer.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.