Thai1On

Greeting everyone

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi all, I'm an American living and working in Thailand. I have been good friends with my Filipino fiancee for over 6 year before we decided there was more to it than just friends. We will be getting married this October and due to Thailand becoming more unstable and unpredictable I have decided to return to the states with my new bride.

I have found this site very helpful and look forward to reporting our progress through the visa maze.

Dave and Angel

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi all, I'm an American living and working in Thailand. I have been good friends with my Filipino fiancee for over 6 year before we decided there was more to it than just friends. We will be getting married this October and due to Thailand becoming more unstable and unpredictable I have decided to return to the states with my new bride.

I have found this site very helpful and look forward to reporting our progress through the visa maze.

Dave and Angel

It isn't clear to me where the fiancée lives. If its Thailand and she is there legally you should be able to file the case DCF which makes the maze shorter.

Check into what you have to do to re-establish domicile in the USA as well as your tax situation. She will need police report from both countries if she has been in Thailand.

You will want to prepare info on your having a job in the USA after you come back or at least a job search.

Depending on income, assets ect you may need to have a joint sponsor.

Timeline

Thanks for the info.

Yes, she is here in Thailand legally and we are working at the same school with the proper visas and work permits.

I'm lucky as my family owns a business in Florida and I will return to work in the store. The business also owns a few homes and we will be living in one of these .

As far as taxes go I have filed every year working here in Thailand, but never made enough to have to pay income tax for those years.

Dave and Angel

Edited by Thai1On

Timeline

Thanks for the info.

Yes, she is here in Thailand legally and we are working at the same school with the proper visas and work permits.

I'm lucky as my family owns a business in Florida and I will return to work in the store. The business also owns a few homes and we will be living in one of these .

As far as taxes go I have filed every year working here in Thailand, but never made enough to have to pay income tax for those years.

Dave and Angel

You should have no problems with your case and are in the right position to file DCF.

You tax situation is also good even though the income seems low it will be understood that it was earned in Thailand. I suggest you have an income forecast for your new job in the store that can be submitted. Filing DCF will also allow your wife to go to work fairly soon which should be part of the forecasted income. Doing that may also limit the need to indicate a joint sponsor because you will be employed very quickly.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Thank you for the warm welcomes.

Is it OK to say that she will be offered a job at the family business? Should I make it clear that she will not start working until she is legal in the US?

Dave and Angel

Timeline

Thank you for the warm welcomes.

Is it OK to say that she will be offered a job at the family business? Should I make it clear that she will not start working until she is legal in the US?

Dave and Angel

It should be fine but make it clear that her job will begin after she has the legal status that allows her to work which is a little different than being legal in the U S.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Welcome to the forum, and best of luck.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

I curious, which is faster here in Thailand, a CR-1 or a K-1 visa?

Dave

I have to assume you will file DCF. If so the time will be the same or very close to the same. Its all done right there at the consulate and embassy. A recent DCF case was done in about 90 days from start to finish.

Timeline

Wow that is fast! This would be great news as we wouldn't have to sign a new contract at school next May.

Dave

Those people did a great job putting the docs together which made a big difference. They also got lucky I think but you have time to get your case ready as well. Your in the right place at the right time here on V J so lets hope for the best.

I believe the police reports are good for 6 months so I suggest you work on those asap. The member Karee knows a lot about DCF filing so lets hope he comments as well as a few other experienced people that can help guide you if you need it.

• 3 months later...
Timeline

Quick update.....Angel and I were married Oct. 28 in the Philippines.

We have assembled our I-130 package and will be heading down to Bangkok next week to submit our paperwork.

I received an interesting email from the USCIS wanting to make sure we were both residents here in Thailand. Things like a visa other than a tourist visa, work permit, long term lease, and so on. Were OK there and very excited to start the ball rolling.

Thank you everyone for your help and we will keep you up to date on what happens.

Dave and Angel