Ranchomama

Affidavit of Support

17 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! My fiance and I are gettin married here in the Philippines before the year ends. I just have a few question. I have been living in the Philippines my whole life and acquired citizenship thru my american father, I only visit the US for months at a time. I am a woman who has 2 kids aged 2 and 3 mos old. I hope you can help me with this.

1. I have no income in the US only bank accounts, can I apply for a co-sponsor who's living in the US and as I believe is making enough?

2. How long does a cr-1 visa usually take to process?

3. I believe I can file for this even when I'm in the Philippines, right?

4. What do I need for the affidavit of support from my Aunt?

5. Won't it be a problem if we get married in the Philippines? Thank you very much!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to DCF Discussion.***

**Moderator hat off**

Answers:

• When referring to an I-864, Joint Sponsor is the proper term, not co-sponsor. You don't apply for a joint sponsor, another individual is willing to act as one.
  • I don't currently know the timeframes for DCF in the Philippines. Others probably do. What I do know is DCF filings typically are quicker than filing stateside.
  • Yes
  • She will need to fill out an I-864 and provide supporting documentation per that form's instructions.
  • Getting married in the Philippines will not be an issue.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Hi!Do the dcf route instead!Ours only took two months from filing to US entry :)

Filed I-130 DCF: May 27, 2014 Here's what happened (http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/498046-filed-dcf-today-5-27-2014/ )

I-130 Approved on:June 4,2014

Interview July 18, 2014 (Approved) You can read this ( http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/506247-interview/ )

Got the Visa Packet!! July 23,2014

POE: SEATTLE July 28,2014

--------------------------------------------

GREEN CARD AND SSC STATUS

August 25,2014 Went to SSA to see what's going on with my SSC- SAVE has my middle name together with my first name.

August 28,2014 ELIS went from ACCEPTED TO OPTIMIZED IN PROCESS (INITIAL REVIEW)

September 2 Called local ssa and was told SSC was mailed/Elis says Green CARD production has begun

September 4,2014-received ssc

September 8,2014- green card mailed/closed on elis

September 9,2014- green card received yahooo!!

---------------------------------------------------------

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

Mailed Packet: 4/29/2016

NOA1: 5/2/2016

Bio Appt: 6/1/2016

Approval:2/13/2017

Received 10 year green card:2/17/2017

<p>

***Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to DCF Discussion.***

**Moderator hat off**

Answers:

• When referring to an I-864, Joint Sponsor is the proper term, not co-sponsor. You don't apply for a joint sponsor, another individual is willing to act as one.
  • I don't currently know the timeframes for DCF in the Philippines. Others probably do. What I do know is DCF filings typically are quicker than filing stateside.
  • Yes
  • She will need to fill out an I-864 and provide supporting documentation per that form's instructions.
  • Getting married in the Philippines will not be an issue.

Thank you very much! You really helped me out :)

Hi!Do the dcf route instead!Ours only took two months from filing to US entry :)

Wow that was quick! :) Congratulations! Did you need a joint sponsor too? :)

No we didnt.We were just above the poverty level as hubby just used his social security and other retirement. ;) We got married in the Phils.too.You can file with just the marriage cert from the civil registry but have to have the nso copy during the interview.Cant help much about the joint sponsor though,sorry.

Filed I-130 DCF: May 27, 2014 Here's what happened (http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/498046-filed-dcf-today-5-27-2014/ )

Interview July 18, 2014 (Approved) You can read this ( http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/506247-interview/ )

August 25,2014 Went to SSA to see what's going on with my SSC- SAVE has my middle name together with my first name.

September 2 Called local ssa and was told SSC was mailed/Elis says Green CARD production has begun

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

No we didnt.We were just above the poverty level as hubby just used his social security and other retirement. ;) We got married in the Phils.too.You can file with just the marriage cert from the civil registry but have to have the nso copy during the interview.Cant help much about the joint sponsor though,sorry.

That's okay Ma'am! I really appreciate your reply :) was your husband living in the Philippines as you guys filed? Or was he in the US? :)

Yes he was.He was here for about 7 months when we filed.He went home the day of my medical exam rather than pay extra to move the date plus it was better so he can prove domicile too without more paperworks.When so you plan to file?

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

Yes he was.He was here for about 7 months when we filed.He went home the day of my medical exam rather than pay extra to move the date plus it was better so he can prove domicile too without more paperworks.When so you plan to file?

We're thinking of getting married this month or next month. We will probably file by December of this year. I'll be filing for our kids first most probably. :) Did you guys do all the paperwork or did you have some assistance? :) Is the Embassy here strict?:)

We did it ourselves!It was very easy but stressful as we had to be very tedious and thorough when it comes to filling the forms out.When we filed,everything went smoothly,the interview was the easiest part of the entire process and the most agonizing was the medical of course.Waiting for the NSO copy of he marriage certificate was excruciating.Congratulations to the both of you,when you start the process and if you have questions(other than the AOS) id be happy to help :) Curious though,both your kids are US citizens then right?Do you have to go through the CRBA process for them?I am ignorant when it comes to that but if you would do it,it may take a couple more months too.

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

We did it ourselves!It was very easy but stressful as we had to be very tedious and thorough when it comes to filling the forms out.When we filed,everything went smoothly,the interview was the easiest part of the entire process and the most agonizing was the medical of course.Waiting for the NSO copy of he marriage certificate was excruciating.Congratulations to the both of you,when you start the process and if you have questions(other than the AOS) id be happy to help :) Curious though,both your kids are US citizens then right?Do you have to go through the CRBA process for them?I am ignorant when it comes to that but if you would do it,it may take a couple more months too.

I was planning on doing it myself too. Thank you very much in advance. It's really nice of you to say that. How long did it take for you to get the marriage certificate from NSO? I heard the same thing about the medical exam. As for my kids, I will have to petition them since I only go to the US for months at a time, I wasn't really able to stay there for 1 whole year continuously. I am excited to start the process and I'm hoping and Praying everything goes smoothly. :) Are you in the US now?:)

Yes I am here now,frustratingly waiting for my SSC cause something got mixed up.After you get married tell the church/court to register your marriage cert right away so you can file an "advance endorsement" (200php,i think) at your city hall(local civil registry) and get your NSO after around 30 business days.Of course I kept going back and forth and NSO finally scanned it after about 5-6 weeks of waiting haha.Of course it depends on the city cause Ive read somewhere some lcrs dont know how to do it.I live in Bacolod and they seemed to know what I was talking about.Usually it takes around 6 months for NSO to somehow encode and scan your marriage cert lol.

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

Yes I am here now,frustratingly waiting for my SSC cause something got mixed up.After you get married tell the church/court to register your marriage cert right away so you can file an "advance endorsement" (200php,i think) at your city hall(local civil registry) and get your NSO after around 30 business days.Of course I kept going back and forth and NSO finally scanned it after about 5-6 weeks of waiting haha.Of course it depends on the city cause Ive read somewhere some lcrs dont know how to do it.I live in Bacolod and they seemed to know what I was talking about.Usually it takes around 6 months for NSO to somehow encode and scan your marriage cert lol.

Sorry for the late reply, with a 3 month old and a 2 year old in the house I kinda forget to check on other things. Hehe! What is the advance endorsement? :) Someone told us to file a k1 visa, says it's possible to have a joint sponsor but I dont think I'm considering that. How long did it take for you guys from the wedding to being able to file? I just wanna be able to bring the family in the US hopefully before the end of 2015!

About 2 months after the wedding because we were waiting for hubby's 6th month in phil.You can file as soon as you have the marriage cert from the lcr.But you have to have the nso copy during the interview other than nbi clearance,nso birth certificate etc ;) Advance endorsement is when you want lcr to send your marriage record to nso asap.You can try the k1 but it is longer than dcf plus 50/50 chance of the joint sponsor thing.Some consular officer accept it,some dont.From marriage,it was 4 months to u.s entry

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

About 2 months after the wedding because we were waiting for hubby's 6th month in phil.You can file as soon as you have the marriage cert from the lcr.But you have to have the nso copy during the interview other than nbi clearance,nso birth certificate etc ;) Advance endorsement is when you want lcr to send your marriage record to nso asap.You can try the k1 but it is longer than dcf plus 50/50 chance of the joint sponsor thing.Some consular officer accept it,some dont.From marriage,it was 4 months to u.s entry

After the civil ceremony, will they give me a copy? Or do I have to get one from the LCR? So I can file the cr1 even with just the lcr copy and while waiting for the NSO copy? :) Thank you very much for all your help! Are you going to stay there for good? No plans of visiting the Philippines again?:)

Nope not yet after the ceremony.The court clerk will have to bring it to the local civil registrar and register it usually takes just a couple of days then you can file the petition.Yup you dont need the nso copy until the interview.You need an unexpired us passport and proof of residence like bills etc ;) Ill stay here na probably visit my family next year or early 2015.Looking for a job currently haha

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.