FherJess

Question re: civil surgeon and filing AOS

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

My husband and I (married January 2014) are about to start process for AOS.

I know it states that a new medical exam isn't necessary as long as you file your AOS within a year.

He got his medical last year in Ciudad Juarez Mexico on October 22, 2013.

I'm wondering if it's possible to go see a civil surgeon to get his vaccines transcribed BEFORE the year mark next month and then hold on to the results until we are ready to send all the paperwork? (I just recently got hired at a job & need to save the rest of the $$$ we need for filing)

Or do we have to file and send everything before October 2014?

Any help GREATLY appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Already answered you in a PM, but will post here for others to see and add a little extra info..

You need to file before the year because a new medical is not required if you file within a year of that medical's date. If you went ahead and got a new medical now, then the new medical will then be valid for a year and give you more time to file. However, if you need wait until after the K-1 medical is expired, then you should probably get the new medical done as close to filing as possible because if they do not approve your case before the medical expires, then they could ask for another one.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

Already answered you in a PM, but will post here for others to see and add a little extra info..

You need to file before the year because a new medical is not required if you file within a year of that medical's date. If you went ahead and got a new medical now, then the new medical will then be valid for a year and give you more time to file. However, if you need wait until after the K-1 medical is expired, then you should probably get the new medical done as close to filing as possible because if they do not approve your case before the medical expires, then they could ask for another one.

Thank you Kay! I'm thinking we will be able to send in all paperwork for AOS sometime in mid September. Do you think he'll be okay with the medical from ciudad Juarez October 2014?

Timeline

It is supposed to be, but the new rules about the I-693 that came out a couple months ago seem to be confusing, though it should not change things for someone adjusting from a K-1. Hopefully with you getting the vaccinations transcription from the civil surgeon soon before filing, that will be enough to get you through. Don't worry about a new medical unless they specifically ask you for one.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Are you K1?

We did not go a CS and submitted the DS 3025 along with these instructions: Green Card in hand with no RFE!

www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-693instr.pdf

3. What if I am a K nonimmigrant visa holder and already had a medical exam overseas?

If you were admitted as a:

a. K-1 fiancé(e) or a K-2 child of a K-1 fiancé(e); or as a

b. K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen or a K-4 child of a K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen; and

c. You received a medical examination prior to admission, then:

(1) You are not required to have another medical examination as long as your Form I-485 is filed within one year of your overseas medical examination, and the medical examination did not reveal a Class A medical condition, or if you did have a Class A medical condition, you received a waiver of inadmissibility and have complied with the terms and conditions on the waiver.

(2) Even if a new medical examination is not required, you must still show proof that you complied with the vaccination requirements. If the vaccination record (DS 3025) was not properly completed and included as part of the original overseas medical examination report, you will have to have the vaccination report completed by a designated civil surgeon. In this case, you are required to submit the vaccination record and page 1 of Form I-693.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/428381-i-693-report-of-medical-examination-and-vaccination-report/?p=6206232

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

Timeline

Are you K1?

We did not go a CS and submitted the DS 3025 along with these instructions: Green Card in hand with no RFE!

www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-693instr.pdf

3. What if I am a K nonimmigrant visa holder and already had a medical exam overseas?

If you were admitted as a:

a. K-1 fiancé(e) or a K-2 child of a K-1 fiancé(e); or as a

b. K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen or a K-4 child of a K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen; and

c. You received a medical examination prior to admission, then:

(1) You are not required to have another medical examination as long as your Form I-485 is filed within one year of your overseas medical examination, and the medical examination did not reveal a Class A medical condition, or if you did have a Class A medical condition, you received a waiver of inadmissibility and have complied with the terms and conditions on the waiver.

(2) Even if a new medical examination is not required, you must still show proof that you complied with the vaccination requirements. If the vaccination record (DS 3025) was not properly completed and included as part of the original overseas medical examination report, you will have to have the vaccination report completed by a designated civil surgeon. In this case, you are required to submit the vaccination record and page 1 of Form I-693.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/428381-i-693-report-of-medical-examination-and-vaccination-report/?p=6206232

People that go through Juarez get no vaccinations or a properly filled out DS-3025, since the clinics there tend to refuse to give vaccinations to K-1 applicants.. This is not fitting for the OP's situation. They must see a civil surgeon.

YIKES! Good info KayDeeCee...that's very unfortunate. OP...please skip my comments...

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

Timeline

YIKES! Good info KayDeeCee...that's very unfortunate. OP...please skip my comments...

It is unfortunate. They have even refused to give the vaccinations when people have asked them to, for extra money. I wish they would just require the vaccinations for a K-1 visa, and then no one would need to worry about a civil surgeon when they file for AOS. That would be too simple though, and those poor civil surgeons would lose out on money. :rolleyes:

It is unfortunate. They have even refused to give the vaccinations when people have asked them to, for extra money. I wish they would just require the vaccinations for a K-1 visa, and then no one would need to worry about a civil surgeon when they file for AOS. That would be too simple though, and those poor civil surgeons would lose out on money. :rolleyes:

Wow...2 1/2 years into this process and I am still learning...I thought that the vaccinations were required. Thanks Kay DeeCee. I guess I need to amend my comments in the future to include "IF your medical included vaccinations then...."

Fherjess---yes it can seem overwhelming at times. Break each phase down into sequential steps as best as you can and it becomes manageable. The hardest part for you is over..you are married and together. The rest is just paperwork (and money). You will be fine.

Steve

Edited by Stevephoto
Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

Timeline

The vaccinations are not required to get a K-1 visa. They are required for AOS. Some countries do not bother to give the vaccinations or a DS-3025 to K-1 applicants, though I believe most do. You think they would want the extra money for the vaccinations, but I guess their laziness of not having to deal with it wins out over the money for them.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.