Juan & Nan

B2 for my in laws in Thailand

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

My wife and I are thinking about having my mother and father in law visit us in the US this time. We would like them to stay for 3 months. What should we apply for? B1 or B2?

Also, I have a question about evidence of ties in their country. My mother in law has all her land on her name, but my father in law is not on any of the papers (talk about trust). They have been married for 37 years. My mother in law should be well covered, right? But, could this affect my father in law evidence of ties?

Thanks for the help on this one.

PS: I am a USC and my wife has a 10 year green card if that makes a difference.

K-1 TIMELINE11/03/2010 Mailed I-129F Petition to USCIS VSC
11/15/2010 Received NOA1 in the mail
02/04/2011 Requested expediting of case for military deployment
02/11/2011 Expediting request approved
02/22/2011 Received expediting request approval letter in the mail
02/28/2011 NOA2 Document Received in the mail
02/28/2011 NVC received and case # assigned
03/01/2011 Case sent to Embassy
03/04/2011 Case received at the Embassy
03/09/2011 Embassy sent Packet 3 via mail (we did not wait for it, downloaded forms online)
03/15/2011 Sent Packet 3 to the Embassy
03/18/2011 Embassy received Packet 3 in the mail
03/28/2011 Received Packet 4 from Embassy
04/20/2011 Embassy Interview Date (APPROVED)
04/27/2011 POE JFK, NY
AOS/AE/AP TIMELINE
06/24/2011 Mailed the AOS/EA/AP
07/05/2011 Received NOA1's for the AP/AE/AOS dated 06/27/2011
07/08/2011 Received NOA for biometrics appointment
07/25/2011 Biometrics appointment
08/24/2011 Received AP/AE card in the mail
09/08/2011 AOS interview APPROVED
09/09/2011 Card in production
09/19/2011 Green card on hand!

I-130 TIMELINE - STEPDAUGHTER I-751 TIMELINE-WIFE

04/07/2013 Mailed I-130 petition 06/10/2013 Mailed I-751 petition

04/14/2013 Received NOA1 inthe mail 06/19/2013 Received NOA1 in mail

05/04/2013 Requested expediting due to military deployment %

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sadly, they are trying for a tourist visa in a county that is difficult to obtain one in. How are their finances? Will they be coming to visit a child? Do either of them work or have other family members in Thailand?

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My wife and I are thinking about having my mother and father in law visit us in the US this time. We would like them to stay for 3 months. What should we apply for? B1 or B2?

Also, I have a question about evidence of ties in their country. My mother in law has all her land on her name, but my father in law is not on any of the papers (talk about trust). They have been married for 37 years. My mother in law should be well covered, right? But, could this affect my father in law evidence of ties?

These visas always hinge on the ability to prove the person must return. In this case they can indicate the ownership of land as evidence and do not need to discuss who is on the docs unless asked. That ownership may not be the determining factor but it will help. I think their age will be the most important aspect because older people don't want to change cultures , languages ect to live in the USA. Also its unlikely that one would leave the other behind in either country. I suggest you help them understand how to present the evidence to the embassy. This can be done by writing it out and including it with the application even if that means sending the app by mail because I don't think you can include these statements on line. However I have not seen the actual app for a long time. If you need help with this send me a P M.

The length of time they can stay is set at the POE so they need to know how to ask the officer there. If they don't speak English I suggest you send them a statement they can show at the POE.

Your status nor your wifes really has anything to do with the visa app but it may come up at the POE when they are asked why they want to visit.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You do not apply for anything, something they would do.

B2 (often issued as combo B1/2)

Land many be one factor, in itself it is not a major factor. Lots of people who live in the US own land elsewhere.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I don't have anything to say about the tourist visa. Just wanted to comment that your mother in law is a smart lady concerning the land.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.