28 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi,

We are about to file concurrently both I-130 and I-485. We are married now but this is after almost six years of living together and having two kids. We just got married in April of this year and that's why we are planning to file. I am the USC and she is the foreigner. The question is that during that time of living together we would go and visit her family abroad many times. She even had to get permits so we could vacation within the US. We have not traveled abroad since May 2014, getting ready to file and having past the 90 day so that that rule does not kick in. The question is, has the 10 year ban kicked in by that last time she left or are there multiple 10 year bans for the multiple times she left. Could someone please respond since we will file on Sept 1st.

Thank You in Advance

Sounds like multiple 10 year bans to me, how was she able to reenter? What is this "permit" to travel domestically?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Well, apparently they did not know she was overstaying, correct? And if that is the case I just answered my own question. Sounds like only the last time will count so therefore only one 10 year ban? The permit is for travel within the US, you need it to travel 60 miles past border.

~~moved to AOS from Work, Tourist, and Student visas from IR1/CR1 process and procedures~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

They will figure it out when they realize that you have 2 kids and have been living in the US for years, coming and going.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Does it really matter though? She is in the US and is applying for AOS. I thought over stays were forgiven for spouses of US citizens.

Spoiler

AOS:

July 3, 2014: Mailed AOS, EAD & AP forms via USPS

Jan 20, 2015: Interview - approved

Jan 30, 2015: GC received.

ROC:

Nov 5, 2016: Mailed I-751 & documents

Dec 9, 2016: Biometrics appointment

N400:

Oct 23, 2017: Filed N400 Online (90day window)

Timeline

Harpa, As for not getting married with two kids, just look at Angelina and Brat, it took them 10 years ! Everyone has their own reasons. What matters now is how to explain our situation to USCIS. Should we get a lawyer? I was hoping to get answers here.

Harpa, As for not getting married with two kids, just look at Angelina and Brat, it took them 10 years ! Everyone has their own reasons. What matters now is how to explain our situation to USCIS. Should we get a lawyer? I was hoping to get answers here.

I'm sorry, but you cannot use two US citizens' marriage after 10 years as an example to justify your completely different situation, especially since your foreign wife has violated a ban.

I would recommend a lawyer.

Edited by akihon

Adjustment of Status from H-1B, Family-Based
07/26/2012 - 10/18/2012: 85 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Removal of Conditions
07/22/2014 - 11/14/2014: 116 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Naturalization
02/03/2016 - 05/31/2016 : 119 Days from Application Received to Oath Ceremony.

I am a United States citizen!

Timeline

It was just to show that people sometimes do take a long time before getting married, any two people it does not matter if USC or foreigners.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Does she illegal presence? I can tell, insufficient data.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

This sounds like a very stick situation an a waiver/waivers are most definetly needed... I would definetly get a lawyer... And my opinion for anyone else reading this... That allowing your significant other and mother/father of your children to risk being detained, deported and not allowed back to visit is irresponsible at the very least... Protect your family and children from undue stress and hassle by making sure you don't leave them vulnerable... I do wish you Good luck and with proper representation, I hope you can straighten this out...

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.