adeelkhan

N-400, part 5 were your parents married before your 18th birthday?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

HI VJ Members

I'm filling form N-400, i'm not sure about answer of this question.

My wife is US citizen, I'm being married with her from last 4 years but staying in America with her from last 3 years, My all family Mom Dad & siblings are in Pakistan i'm the only one in US.

now i cant figure out the answer of this question

were your parents married before your 18th birthday?

yes or no

Is your mother a Us Citizen ? No

Is your father a US citizen? No

Really appreciate ur reply

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

adeelkhan I think it is a very literal question. Were your parents married before you turned 18 years old? The most likely answer is yes, since they probably got married before you were born.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uruguay
Timeline

Those Questions are very literal. Are Your Parents Citizens?? YES Or NO. Were they married before your 18th Birthday? YES OR NO. I can't Figure it out for you, only you would know.

ROC -I751: Removal of Conditions on Green Card   

Green Card Expires: 05/20/2017

Local USCIS office: Oakland Park, FL 

App Will Be Sent to: California Service Center

03/18/2017 - Application Sent (I-751)

03/20/2017 - Application Delivered. (Day 1)

03/24/2017 - Date Of Biometrics Letter (Day 4)

03/30/2017 - Date I Received Biometrics Letter (Day 10)

04/14/2017 - Actual Biometrics Appointment @ 10 AM (Day 25)

Never Received  - NOA 

01/18/2018 - I-551 Stamp (Day 305)

06/26/2018 - Case was transferred to NSC. (Day 463)

08/03/2018 - Received 18 month extension letter. (Day 501)

09/01/2018 - Submitted N400! (Day 530)

N-400 Citizenship 

Permanent Resident Since: 05/20/2015

Local USCIS Office: Oakland Park, FL 

Applied Online. 

09/01/2018 - Application Submitted Online (N-400)

09/07/2018 - Received physical copy of app receipt in the mail. (Day 6)

09/08/2018 - Biometrics Scheduled. (Day 7)

09/27/2018 - Biometrics appointment. (Day 26)

06/21/2019 - Interview Scheduled. (Day 293)

08/10/2019 - Interview - Passed. (Day 343)

08/23/2019 - Oath Ceremony!!! (Day 356)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If your parents did not marry before you are 18 you have to prove that your father is your father ( birth certificate ) . The question is meant to eliminate step parents that didn't appear until you were an adult

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Also are you getting US Citizen ship from your wife ? if this is the case then please check if it says only fill that section if you are getting citizen ship from your parents (etc etc)

15th Feb 2013 (Married)

03rd-Jun-13 NOA1 (Priority Date)

12th-Jun-13 NOA1 Hard Copy

17th-Dec-13 USCIS Transfer Email 1

18th-Dec-13 USCIS Transfer Email 2

23rd-Dec-13 USCIS Transfer Email 3

26th-Dec-13 Hard Copy Transferred to Nebraska (NSC)

21st-Feb-14 NOA2 Approved Email 1

25th-Feb-14 NOA2 Approved Email 2

27th-Feb-14 NOA2 Hard Copy

10th-Mar-14 NVC received approved documents

10th-April-14 NVC assigned case number

12th April-14 AOS Fees

14th April-14 AOS Package sent

16th April-14 Submit DS261

23rd April-14 Recieve IV Bill

24th April-14 IV Fees

16th May-14 Sent IV Package

6th June-14 package received by NVC

10th July 2014 Case completed

10th July 2014 Interview letter

Interview 19 Aug 2014 "Thank God" *Approved* :yes:

25th August 2014 *Passport Received*

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Also are you getting US Citizen ship from your wife ? if this is the case then please check if it says only fill that section if you are getting citizen ship from your parents (etc etc)

If neither parent is a US citizen, then none of this matters... you just answer "No" to the are your parents US citizens questions.

If your parents are US citizens, you have to answer those questions regardless of how you got your green card or on what basis you are applying for naturalization.

This is because they have to determine if you should be using N400 form at all.

If you are deriving citizenship from your parents, you can't use the N400 form... you can use the N600 form to get a Certificate of Citizenship or you can apply for a passport directly.

For example, if your father became a US citizen when you were 17 years old and you were a permanent resident, then you can't use the N400 form, because you are already a US citizen.

However, if your father became a US citizen when you were 19 years old, then you need to use the N400 form to naturalize.

This is true whether you are applying based on marriage to a US citizen or not., so you need to answer the questions about your parents' citizenship regardless of how you are applying.

As someone else mentioned, if your parents are not US citizens, you do not need to answer the subsequent questions.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.