maghfira

Who failed the written driving test?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: France
Timeline

Hi ,

The people i know have passed their first time, i failed the written driving test , i have read the whole book , i studied too much and the result was "failed"

how did you passe your written test?

i feel frustrated , i'm just so upset and not sure if i can pass this test one day or no !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Hi ,

The people i know have passed their first time, i failed the written driving test , i have read the whole book , i studied too much and the result was "failed"

how did you passe your written test?

i feel frustrated , i'm just so upset and not sure if i can pass this test one day or no !

its ok I failed twice and got it on the third try. and i studied the whole book like you! Born and raised here in the states lol.. I failed twice because i guess my mind was focused on the whole book rather thensections, the motorcycles and truck ones and speed limits ect.. ..do it by sections take a week or so...first study just the signs and nothing else...quiz yourself until you pass it every time. Then one day just focus on motorcycles quiz yourself until you pass, one day trucks, one day speed limits, ect...that's the only way i passed so just giving you what i did ....good luck!

Edited by ItsGonnaBeWorthIt

USCIS : 7 months
Marriage : March 21, 2014
I-130 Sent : April 18, 2014
I-130 NOA1 : April 22, 2014
I-130 Approved: November 14, 2014 
after two service request

NVC6 months
Received : December 1, 2014
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : January 1, 2015
Pay AOS Bill : January 9, 2015
Submit DS-261 : January 7, 2015
Receive IV Bill : January 15, 2015 
called after AOS showed paid, they released it overnight)
Pay IV Bill : January 23, 2015
Send IV and AOS: January 29, 2015
Scan date: February 3, 2015
Checklist: March 19, 2015
 (only need to send south Africa police report)
Case Complete: June 3, 2015 

EMBASSY: 10 months
Interview appointment letter : December 4, 2015
Interview Date : January 21, 2016 
medical wasn't complete
Second interview date: April 4th 2016
Interview Result :APPROVED!!!

Visa Received : 4/13/2016 ( they sent us a email stating our visa was ready for pick up)

USA LIFE
US Entry :4/29/2016 
Social Security : 5/10/2016 (filed from the actual office)
State ID: 5/14/2016
Started working!!: 5/25/2016
Finally paid green card fee: 6/24/2016 ( note said we will receive it within 60 days)
Green card in hand: 7/5/2016 10 year green card we done!! 

1st king born: 6/30/2016

April 2017 update: Marriage still going strong, baby boy getting bigger. Life is good 

Google online some sample written driving test for your state.

Practice answering those questions will help

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Maghfira,

I agree with the previous poster regarding studying the manual by sections. Dial it back a bit, regroup, relax, and I'm sure you'll do better on your next attempt..

Does your state licensing office provide online, practice examinations? Washington state does and it was enormously helpful to my wife. Were you able to view the examination results and see which questions you missed?

Your not passing the examination on the first go around isn't a reflection of how you're defined. Try and redirect your frustration and know you will pass whether it's your first or fifth attempt.

Good luck.

PS: Let us know your score when you do pass. :-)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I did mine in Colorado, 25 very easy questions.

I was not expecting to do the test, they gave me the form to fill in when I went to inquire about the process.

I though all States were pretty much the same, obviously not.

If memory serves me right there were 4 options for each question, some of the answers were so obviously wrong that the answer was obvious.

In these sort of exams I go through all the questions first and answer the ones I know for certain.

Next I go through and look at the ones I am not certain about and look at the alternative options.

Then the ones that are left I cross out the silly answers and usually by then I have a few questions with a 50/50 shot. Sometimes I can look at the other questions and rule an option out because it has been dealt with there.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Probably this won't encourage you but I passed mine after walking into BMV to check out what is needed to get DL and decided to give it a try. They're very easy for someone that drove before elsewhere, if you didn't, keep studying.

I think taking free sample DMV practice tests online helped me pass it, besides reading the manual. You should be able to find free ones online.

K1 Visa Timeline

• xx-xx-2005 - Met in an online creative writing forum for anime (Yes, we are nerds. Awesome ones, at that.) Became friends ever since and chatted mostly on YM. Our characters' names were Kumi and Drake.
  • 11-20-2011 - We became a couple.
  • 05-16-2012 to 05-25-2012 - First visit
  • 11-08-2012 - NOA1
  • 12-11-2012 to 12-18-2012 - Second visit
  • 05-08-2013 - NOA2
  • 06-13-2013 to 06-14-2013 - Two-day medical exam; passed!
  • 07-19-2013 - He visits again to be with me for the interview
  • 07-22-2013 - Interview date / APPROVED!
  • 08-01-2013 - Seattle POE
  • 08-02-2013 - Arrived in MO.
  • 09-01-2013 - Married!

AOS Timeline

• 10-01-2013- Sent AOS/EAD/AP in.
  • 10-10-2013 - NOA1 Date
  • 11-05-2013 - Biometrics Appointment
  • 12-05-2013 - EAD/AP: approved
  • 12-17-2013 - Combo card received
  • 01-10-2014 - Notice of Potential Interview Waiver case
  • 01-24-2014 - Card production
  • 01-29-2014 - Card mailed
  • 01-31-2014 - Permanent Residency Card received
  • 05-05-2014 - Job offer

ROC TImeline

• 10-26-2015- Second Anniversary of Permanent Residency
  • 11-03-2015 - Sent I-751 application
  • 11-05-2015 - NOA1 Receipt Date
  • 12-04-2015 - Biometrics Appointment
  • 05-18-2016 - Card production

• 4 weeks later...

I failed it the first time because of questions about things specific to the US and a couple others I would not have known in the UK ! Like others have suggested focus on the actual rules and facts like blood alcohol levels. I also focussed on things specific to the US e.g school buses.

With the multiple choice system you can usually eliminate the obviously wrong answers first too if you're not sure which is the right answer.

Richard

event.png

event.png

It's not very uncommon to fail. Go to your state's DMV website and find the online practice test. Download a PDF of the driver manual and read through it. Those two things alone will help a lot, along with some confidence. Good luck!

I'm studying for the CA DMV written test using sample test questions on YouTube. I failed the sample test on YouTube even though I have drivers licenses from MN and WA state already. CA rules are slightly different, though it's a matter of common sense too, so I just need to process by elimination then try to choose the most sensible answer.

Check my timeline for K-1 visa & AOS details

Conditional Permanent Resident: 16 September 2014

Conditional GC Expires: 16 September 2016

ROC Journey (CA Service Center)

2016-Sep-14: I-751 form, check, supporting docs sent USPS Priority Express

2016-Sep-15: ROC application received & signed for by Lakelieh

2016-Sep-15: NOA receipt date

2016-Sep-19: $590 check cashed by USCIS

2016-Sep-20: NOA/ 1-year extension letter received in mail

2018-Feb-26: ROC case transferred to local office

2018-Mar-06: ROC approved via USCIS website (WAC status check)

I only read half of the manual (skipped the chapters about fines and consequences of bad behavior while driving), and did A TON of online tests. The questions were fairly similar, so I passed it on my first try. I suggest more online tests.

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.