SeanN

Bring sick mother-in-law to United States with my wife.

7 posts in this topic

Timeline

I am a US citizen and full-time college student and recently married my wonderful wife, a colombian citizen, and we're currently in the process of filing the I-130 petition form for her to travel to the United States. She lives with her mother who has always been a single parent. My wife and I thought that her mother would be alright for a few years until my wife becomes a US citizen and then we can file for her mother to come to the United States as well. Unfortunately her mother was recently diagnosed with a late-stage liver cancer (hepatocellular carcinoma). Is there any way her mother could get a waiver from the government to travel and get treated in the United States? All of my mother-in-law's other relatives live in small villages around Colombia where she wouldn't receive proper treatment and I don't think she is able to live alone anymore due to her medical condition. If my wife were to travel to the Unites States, she would leave her sick mother completely alone and abandoned. :/ any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by SeanN

First of all, how are you going to pay for your Mother-in-law medical treatment in US?

There will be no sane insurance company to cover her treatment here.

Even if your wife (after becoming USC) files for her mother, you still have to show proof that your Mother-in-law is able to obtain medical coverage in US so that she won't become a public charge.

Is there any good hospital in Colombia city area where she could receive her treatment?

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

There is a B2 visitor visa for medical treatment. She or you will need to show that you can pay for the treatment with no insurance. Might be cheaper to send her to the capital of her country or to a neighboring country with cheaper healthcare. Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Have you found out how much treatment would cost in the US? Can you afford it?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I am a US citizen and full-time college student and recently married my wonderful wife, a colombian citizen, and we're currently in the process of filing the I-130 petition form for her to travel to the United States. She lives with her mother who has always been a single parent. My wife and I thought that her mother would be alright for a few years until my wife becomes a US citizen and then we can file for her mother to come to the United States as well. Unfortunately her mother was recently diagnosed with a late-stage liver cancer (hepatocellular carcinoma). Is there any way her mother could get a waiver from the government to travel and get treated in the United States? All of my mother-in-law's other relatives live in small villages around Colombia where she wouldn't receive proper treatment and I don't think she is able to live alone anymore due to her medical condition. If my wife were to travel to the Unites States, she would leave her sick mother completely alone and abandoned. :/ any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi,

Sorry about your MIL's health.

Your MIL does not need a waiver. There is no way for her to immigrate until your wife becomes a USC and files for her. It will take 3 years of being an LPR (green card holder) before your wife can apply for US citizenship.

Your MIL can file for a B1/B2 visitor visa to come to the US for treatment. She will need to provide proof that she can pay for her treatment.

There is no option for her to come here for free treatment.

Sorry.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

You could delay the immigration process for your wife while she cares for her mother. You could look into moving to Columbia.

Unless you have a few hundred thousand dollars lying around, can find a hospital and doctor to donate its services, or someone else to pay for her medical care she can't receive it in the US. Check with the local teaching hospital and see if they are interested in treating her for free. Worth a shot.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

You could delay the immigration process for your wife while she cares for her mother. You could look into moving to Columbia.

Unless you have a few hundred thousand dollars lying around, can find a hospital and doctor to donate its services, or someone else to pay for her medical care she can't receive it in the US. Check with the local teaching hospital and see if they are interested in treating her for free. Worth a shot.

With sick US citizens and teaching hospitals receiving public funds, its highly unlikely a foreign national would be trades for free. Private charity might help.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.