Tina and Johan

A word of caution for school-aged K2s

8 posts in this topic

Hello! my K2 stepson arrived from Ireland on July 25th. He had his medical exam on May 14th in Dublin with his dad. ON his DS-3025, the doctor marked several of his immunizations "not age appropriate" (he's 10), and also "vaccine history complete," when in fact, he now needs FIVE total shots (3 immediately) before he can start school on Wednesday. My husband took the DS-3025 down to the school, and they told him, according to state law, without these vaccines he cannot start school. We're in California. The huge downside to this situation is that the shots came free with the medical exam. My husband had 3 of his own that day. Now he is being quoted $350 for these. Needless to say, we're on the hunt for a vaccine clinic Monday-Tuesday! We never considered checking with the local school to ensure that the USCIS's requirements and the state's requirements would match. Now we're in a race to get this poor kid vaccinated so he can start school. (side note: I highly doubt HE is in a race to ensure his starting school on time! :rofl: ). So, if you know where your K2 will be attending school, make sure the vaccines are done prior to arrival in the USA. What a hassle. :(

K1 Visa timeline:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

02/01/2014 - mailed our petition

07/25/2014 - Johan arrives in Los Angeles! 

*See updated timeline for specific dates.*

AOS timeline:~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

08/02/2014 - AOS, EAD, AP applications mailed. 

11/17/2014 - K2 gets an interview waiver letter in the mail (dated November 12th) (K1 has never gotten this letter)

08/24/2015 - Green cards are FINALLY in hand after nearly 13 months of waiting. 

ROC timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

05/01/2017 - ROC application sent 

05/02/2017 - CSC receives our package

05/03/2017 - Official NOA1 date

05/10/2017 - MO cashed at our bank

05/12/2017 - NOA 1 is in the mailbox.

05/20/2017 - Biometrics letter in hand

05/31/2017 - biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

06/19/2018 - ROC still pending with no news but that wonky glitch back in February, so we went ahead and filed for citizenship

N-400 timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

06/19/2018 - N-400 application filed online

06/20/2018 - NOA1 received online for Naturalization application

06/25/2018 - Biometrics notification online (PDF Document)

07/12/2018 - Biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

The local health department may be able to help with cheap or free vaccinations; you should contact them and ask (the school may even be able to help there).

And yes, states have their own requirements when it comes to vaccincations required for schools. It's two competing systems here - state vs federal - and as you found out they do not always track together.

Last year my son actually had to miss the first week of school because the doctor couldn't fit him in earlier to receive his required shots, and Texas state law does not allow a child without either the required vaccinations or a waiver to attend school.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Yikes! We're doing the waiver if he can't get the shots tomorrow or Tuesday (California does allow this). But what a mess. Seriously. My husband wants to send the Dr in Dublin a nasty email! :rofl:

I wish we'd realized that even THIS sort of thing isn't federally regulated. (sigh)

Edited to add: thanks for the reply, Hypnos. I feel better knowing it's not just us. ;)

Edited by Tina and Johan

K1 Visa timeline:

11/17/2014 - K2 gets an interview waiver letter in the mail (dated November 12th) (K1 has never gotten this letter)

06/19/2018 - ROC still pending with no news but that wonky glitch back in February, so we went ahead and filed for citizenship

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I'm wondering what vaccines are different between IRL and CA? My daughter starts 1st grade next week (she is 6 - in 1st class at home in Dublin) and as far as I am aware we are up to date with what we received at home in Dublin. Is it the school age boosters they get later on? Just curious!

Edited by artattack

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm wondering what vaccines are different between IRL and CA? My daughter starts 1st grade next week (she is 6 - in 1st class at home in Dublin) and as far as I am aware we are up to date with what we received at home in Dublin. Is it the school age boosters they get later on? Just curious!

Just google vaccination requirements for your state - to be honest I'm a bit surprised people wouldn't have checked this before moving!

If it helps, we're moving to Texas and my son will need extra shots of all his UK pre-school boosters.

Timeline

As I said - just curious :rolleyes: I did check this before moving! The only difference between what they require in CA and in Ireland for her age is Varicella (though varicella is not required for her school district)

Edited by artattack

From what I could see on his DS-3025, he didn't have any boosters after his 1st birthday. Perhaps he wasn't actually up to date in Ireland either? He's entering 5th grade here in California. What surprised me is that the federal government requirement didn't trump the state requirement. Maybe it was a blonde moment on my part (grin), but when it was checked "all vaccinations up to date," we believed them. Now I wonder if this will be an issue for his AOS. :(

He needs: Polio #4,Dtap #4, and Hepatitis #1-3, but only #1 for now, since he needs to have time between. Here in the US, they do those before kindergarten. He's getting his done today.

Edited by Tina and Johan

K1 Visa timeline:

Timeline

Well despite the hassle glad you were able to get them. In Ireland they gave my daughter the 4 in 1 (diphtheria, polio, tetanus, whooping cough) and mmr booster in junior infants (4-5 years of age) in school. I feel like with so many different aspects of international move, visa application (applying for a IR-1 for my Irish husband) etc it is hard to keep up on every detail. Sometimes my head is spinning with all the coordination of this! Congrats in your wedding by the way - I see you were recently married! I hope this won't hold up the AOS, I can't imagine it would since you rectified it. You may know this but if you need further proof of his Ireland vacs he received at birth you can get a copy of the record from the local health center in the area he resided in in Ireland, you will just need to phone the to request it - give his pps number and send in a photocopy of his passport and your husband's passport and they will post it out.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.