Aybee&Sylvia

Am I eligible for a FAFSA student financial aid???

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello everyone thanks for your support so far but I have quite an uncommon question at the moment and I hope someone with knowledge or experience about this would be able to help me out.

I came to the U.S on a K1 VISA and got married. we have already adjusted my status and sat in for an interview. we got everything Ok but unfortunately missed out my birth certificate and wife's W2 forms so 2 days after our interview we had a mail requesting those documents which we already submitted so right now we basically waiting for the greed card to hopefully come in.

I recently enrolled in college and according to the information I had at the financial aid office, I would be eligible for a federal financial aid as an eligible non-U.S citizen if I didnt come on a F1 or F2 student visa, a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, a G series visa (pertaining to international organizations), because they are basically considered non-immigrant visas but if I was here on an immigrant visa then I am eligible.

So my question is, is it advisable if I go ahead and put in my financial aid application as an eligile NON-US CITIZEN eventhough I dont have my green card yet? and I am a bit confused with the K1 VISA because at some point it is considered an immigrant visa and at some point its not so i just dont know what is what! And according to the visa categories on the FAFSA page I might be eligible but am a little bit confused about it all since I don't have my green card yet and I wouldn't want to do anything to wrongfully go against the law but at the same time I need to know the right thing to do for my education so I hope someone would be able to kindly help me out. thank you very much in advance!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

No you're not eligible until you have your green card. K1 isn't a green card. Once your green card is approved and you receive in the mail, you can file FAFSA. The financial aid office of the school is required by law to obtain a copy of your green card once the FAFSA has been processed...you can't provide a copy because you don't have it yet.

Hello everyone thanks for your support so far but I have quite an uncommon question at the moment and I hope someone with knowledge or experience about this would be able to help me out.

I came to the U.S on a K1 VISA and got married. we have already adjusted my status and sat in for an interview. we got everything Ok but unfortunately missed out my birth certificate and wife's W2 forms so 2 days after our interview we had a mail requesting those documents which we already submitted so right now we basically waiting for the greed card to hopefully come in.

I recently enrolled in college and according to the information I had at the financial aid office, I would be eligible for a federal financial aid as an eligible non-U.S citizen if I didnt come on a F1 or F2 student visa, a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, a G series visa (pertaining to international organizations), because they are basically considered non-immigrant visas but if I was here on an immigrant visa then I am eligible.

So my question is, is it advisable if I go ahead and put in my financial aid application as an eligile NON-US CITIZEN eventhough I dont have my green card yet? and I am a bit confused with the K1 VISA because at some point it is considered an immigrant visa and at some point its not so i just dont know what is what! And according to the visa categories on the FAFSA page I might be eligible but am a little bit confused about it all since I don't have my green card yet and I wouldn't want to do anything to wrongfully go against the law but at the same time I need to know the right thing to do for my education so I hope someone would be able to kindly help me out. thank you very much in advance!

Marriage (if applicable): 2007-09-08

I-130 sent: 2008-08-05

I-130 approved: 2009-04-08

Case Completed at NVC: 2009-04-08

IR-1 Visa Received: 2011-01-21

US Entry: 2011-01-29

SS card received: 02-26-2011

10 years GC Received: 03/10/2011

Citizenship eligibility Criteria: 3 years

10-31-2013: Eligibility Date

02-07-2014: Application Sent

02-11-2014: Application Received

02-11-2014: Priority Date

02-18-2014: NOA Received

02-20-2014: Bio-metric Letter sent Date

03-11-2014: Bio-metric Date

03-13-2014: In-line for Interview

04-10-2014: Interview Letter Sent Date

05-20-2014: Interview Date

06-19-2014: Oath Ceremony

06-21-2014: Applied for U.S passport Book (expedite-$60)

06-23-2014: Passport Application received

06-26-2014: Passport Completed processing and mailed

06-27-2014: Passport Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.