Sarahnick

Vaccinations and other visa denials

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hello everyone. Me (Swedish) and my American boyfriend wants to to the k1 visa, we are working our way through the information and filling out papers and such. I'm a little stuck on the required vaccinations? Do we need all that is listed? Can I do these before the medical exam or will that doctor do them for me?! I have most of them but missing a few..

Also, I was over the last two years in a J1 visa and went back home over the summer, planned to go back on a student via but got denied twice. Will this be a problem when filing for k1 visa?!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** Moving from Introductions to K1 visa forum for more answers *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Georgia
Timeline

You don't need ANY vaccinations for K-1 visa. They all will be needed only when you arrive in the US and apply for AOS (green card).

CR-1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Georgia

Marriage: 2015-01-11

I-130 Sent : 2015-07-10 - sent from abroad, auto-expedite

I-130 NOA1 : 2015-07-14

I-130 Approved : 2015-08-13 (30 days)

:dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing:

Received by NVC: 2015-09-02 (in 20 days after the approval) - no email notification, info obtained over the phone

Case # assigned: 2015-09-10 (in 8 days after the case was received) - no email notification, info obtained over the phone

DS-261 filled: 2015-09-14

AoS fee paid: 2015-09-15

DS-261 reviewed over the phone:2015-09-17

Agent registration email: 2015-09-18

IV fee available: 2015-09-18

IV fee paid: 2015-09-22

IV fee showed paid: 2015-09-23 right before the end of the working day at NVC - at almost midnight EST.

AoS and IV package received: 2015-09-23

DS-260 filled out 2015-09-24

Scan date: 2015-09-24

Now let's get some patience for 3 weeks and hope CC will come without any delays :luv:

Case complete: 2015-10-21 (27 days)

Interview date issued: 2015-10-23

Received by the embassy: 2015-11-12

Interview date: 2015-12-02 (Request to reschedule for the earlier time denied.)

Approved!!!

Visa issued: 2015-12-07

Visa in hand: 2015-12-07

US entry: 2015-12-11

Social Security card arrived only after the visit to SS office, on 01/20

Green Card arrived: 2016-01-27

From NOA-1 to the interview - 141 days (4 months and 18 days)

Timeline

Alright, Will it be more complicated to prove that i have the vaccinations as needed if they arnt listed on the medical exams paper? Assume I need to send some paper saying I have them when adjusting status?

Edited by Sarahnick

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

However, with the high cost of medical services in the US, you will probably save many hundreds of dollars getting them done before you leave.

You can't do them before the medical exam because the doctor doing the exam is the one who decides which ones you need.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

To answer your visa question, the fact that you were denied a student visa has no relevance. New visa application (K-1), new set of circumstances (fiancee of a USC) = clean slate, assuming you've never overstayed a visa in the US or anything like that.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

However, with the high cost of medical services in the US, you will probably save many hundreds of dollars getting them done before you leave.

You can't do them before the medical exam because the doctor doing the exam is the one who decides which ones you need.

you can definitely get the vaccinations done before the medical, and bring the records to the medical for the panel doctors to transcribe to the DS-3025. the doctors follow the CDC guidelines, which state that for applicants aged 18-64 (which is most), the required vaccinations are:

1. MMR

2. Td/Tdap

3. Varicella (unless you have history of chicken pox)

4. Influenza (but only during flu season, i.e. 1 Oct - 31 Mar)

OP - if your past student visa denials were due to not being able to prove non-immigrant intent, then they won't be an issue for your K1 visa application (as the K1 is a dual intent visa that allows you to eventually immigrate). J1 visas sometimes come with 2-year home residency requirements - if you have fulfilled those requirements, or if those requirements don't apply to you (it would be printed on your visa I believe), then it won't be an issue.

Alright, I'm assuming I need to take hepatitis a and b and since that's a 6month process, could I possibly start it or?

if you are between 18-64, you do not need hep a or b. and for the purposes of immigration, you only need to complete the first shot in the series, i.e. you do not need to wait to complete the 6 month period before you can progress with your visa application.

Flying to Seattle on 6 May 2014!

Timeline

In my passport it says " two year rule does not apply" so I'm guessing and assuming I will be totally fine then.

Okay, I will just wait for the medical exam then and find out if there are any shots I need to take. Will the doctor do shots too if it shows that I need one or two? Or is this a later thing I will have to do, want to make the process after getting to the USA and getting married as smooth as possible and rather deal with everything once I'm still in Sweden.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

In my passport it says " two year rule does not apply" so I'm guessing and assuming I will be totally fine then.

Okay, I will just wait for the medical exam then and find out if there are any shots I need to take. Will the doctor do shots too if it shows that I need one or two? Or is this a later thing I will have to do, want to make the process after getting to the USA and getting married as smooth as possible and rather deal with everything once I'm still in Sweden.

you should get your shots either before or at the medical so that the panel physician can record them on the DS-3025. as i posted earlier, there is a fixed set of shots that are appropriate for your age group, based on CDC guidelines.

you can get the shots at the panel physician's clinic. the reason some people suggest getting shots privately before the medical instead of getting the panel physician to do it is because they can be cheaper at your family doctor, or covered by your personal insurance. also, sometimes clinics run out of vaccines and mark the corresponding column on the DS-3025 as "not routinely available" instead - that will cause you some extra money and hassle when you are adjusting status after marriage in the US.

any required shots you get after your medical will not be recorded on your DS-3025 and you will have to pay to see a civil surgeon in the US to get your vaccinations transcribed to another form instead. not the end of the world, but it is something that can be avoided.

Flying to Seattle on 6 May 2014!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

To add to what kit said already, here is a link showing what vaccinations are needed by age > http://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/exams/ti/civil/vaccination-civil-technical-instructions.html#tbl1

Also, different countries have different procedures and requirements, so check to see how it is done at the clinic you will have your K-1 exam at. If you get all the required vaccinations marked off on a properly filled out DS-3025 at the time of your K-1 medical, then you will only need to send a copy of that along with your AOS paperwork.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.