BunsandCroissants

I-130 sent to NVC, no word from NVC

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello,

We received word from the USCIS that on July 17th our I-130 request was approved and that the NVC should be contacting us within 30 days. We have not yet heard from the NVC (today is August 11th), and I wrote to them last week but have not received a response. My questions for those who have been through this are the following:

• Does the NVC respect their 30 day deadline?
  • Whom will they be contacting and how? (will they contact my husband, the beneficiary, via email?)
  • Does it SERIOUSLY take up to 60 (SIXTY!!!) days for them to review our packet once we do send it in?!
  • Has anyone had luck with contacting congressional offices to help speed up this process?

Thanks in advance.

Filed: Timeline

You can call NVC to see if they have your case - if they answer no, that means it's either still at USCIS or in-transit. In that case, you need to contact USCIS to see whether they've sent the case to NVC. If they answer yes, you need to know when, and, to confirm it was sent to NVC and not the NRC. If they answer no, you need to understand why and when they plan to transfer the case. This sounds simple, but it can be time consuming. Put another way, you need to figure out where your case sits in the process.

Thirty days is not unusual. Unless you have a clear chronology of what's transpired, and what hasn't happened, you aren't really in a position to contact a congresssional rep (unless you feel lucky about the chances they'll do this homework for you. I personally don't like to count on luck or goodwill).

My advice (and I had to learn all this the hard way) is to know the process inside and out, and, have a documented history of your case (who you called, when you called, etc.).

60 days to process the case at NVC sounds customary. For point of reference, it took 60 days (and a lot of calling, process review and prodding on my part) for USCIS to send the case to NVC (although it was coming from a local office, so different process). Our file spent four months at NVC...one month of that being due to an RFE (so three months, or 90 days assuming no RFE). We received our NOA2 in late May, and the interivew didn't occur until late January of the following year.

I used Ning's process flows on VJ - they were invaluable.

Good luck.

Timeline

did you receive a notice by email or mail saying that your I-130 petition has been shipped to NVC ?

We received a letter by mail saying that on July 17th our I-130 was approved by the USCIS and had been forwarded to the NVC. It then said if we do not hear from the NVC within 30 days (so we are counting 30 days from July 17th) that we should contact them. I wrote to them via email last Wednesday (a bit early, I know) and have not heard back. Their phone number rings busy this morning.

As per the first responder's advice, I rang the USCIS this morning to double check that our file was indeed sent to the NVC and they confirmed that it is no linger in their jurisdiction.

It can take up to 8 weeks from approval to getting to the NVC . When did the USCIS mail the I-130? You can find out by them and speaking to a tier 2.

Also you need to CALL the NVC to get the most updated information. Emailing takes at least 2 weeks for a reply.

Takes about 30 business days to get a case number after the NVC recieves the case. Because of backlog, it is taking them 60 calendar days (up from 30 business days which is about 45 calendar days) to review packets. However, the AOS and the IV may be reviewed at the same time because of the way the NVC works.

Congressional help will not help you with this right now. Unless you need an expedite you have to go through the process the same as everyone else.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

It might take from 2weeks to 4weeks for NVC to receive your case file from USCIS, mine took 12days. Just like others have suggested, call NVC to inquire if they have your case file. Ask if you have a case number yet.

Its time for you to read Saylin's wiki here: http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

This wiki will be of great help to you during your time with NVC.{You can also print it out for easy access}

There's also a monthly thread for those at NVC stage, we move from month to month. Here's a link for August NVC filer 2014: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/508139-nvc-filers-august-2014/

You will get to meet with people that can assist and help you thru the NVC process.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Bahrain
Timeline

mine was sent on the 19th, and arrived last wednesday (Nebraska to NVC). They do not have an invoice yet but confirmed receipt. They said it is expected to take 20-30 days total before you will get notified. Then the girl hinted that I needed to call back this week around Wednesday for my case.

Filed: Timeline

We received a letter by mail saying that on July 17th our I-130 was approved by the USCIS and had been forwarded to the NVC. It then said if we do not hear from the NVC within 30 days (so we are counting 30 days from July 17th) that we should contact them. I wrote to them via email last Wednesday (a bit early, I know) and have not heard back. Their phone number rings busy this morning.

As per the first responder's advice, I rang the USCIS this morning to double check that our file was indeed sent to the NVC and they confirmed that it is no linger in their jurisdiction.

I forgot to add - the number for NVC will always be busy. I put them on speed dial, and it normally took 10-15 repeated tries over a minute or two to get through.

Timeline

I forgot to add - the number for NVC will always be busy. I put them on speed dial, and it normally took 10-15 repeated tries over a minute or two to get through.

I got through! I found out my case had been received last week and she was able to provide me with my Case ID and IIN!!! It is so good to know things are advancing, even if it is just baby steps.

mine was sent on the 19th, and arrived last wednesday (Nebraska to NVC). They do not have an invoice yet but confirmed receipt. They said it is expected to take 20-30 days total before you will get notified. Then the girl hinted that I needed to call back this week around Wednesday for my case.

Congratulations! At least it has arrived :)

Mine arrived last week - it was sent from California on the 17th of July and was put in their system today, so I was able to obtain my case number and IIN!! Now up to 20 business days to receive the two emails about payment and the next steps.

Timeline

It might take from 2weeks to 4weeks for NVC to receive your case file from USCIS, mine took 12days. Just like others have suggested, call NVC to inquire if they have your case file. Ask if you have a case number yet.

Its time for you to read Saylin's wiki here: http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

This wiki will be of great help to you during your time with NVC.{You can also print it out for easy access}

There's also a monthly thread for those at NVC stage, we move from month to month. Here's a link for August NVC filer 2014: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/508139-nvc-filers-august-2014/

You will get to meet with people that can assist and help you thru the NVC process.

Thanks so much, this is great information. I actually had the Wiki page open as I spoke to the NVC today. Now that I have my case number and IIN all I have to do is WAIT 20 business days to receive news from them regarding payment and next steps. At least we are moving ahead!

Timeline

It can take up to 8 weeks from approval to getting to the NVC . When did the USCIS mail the I-130? You can find out by them and speaking to a tier 2.

Also you need to CALL the NVC to get the most updated information. Emailing takes at least 2 weeks for a reply.

Takes about 30 business days to get a case number after the NVC recieves the case. Because of backlog, it is taking them 60 calendar days (up from 30 business days which is about 45 calendar days) to review packets. However, the AOS and the IV may be reviewed at the same time because of the way the NVC works.

Congressional help will not help you with this right now. Unless you need an expedite you have to go through the process the same as everyone else.

Thanks for your response. I got through! I found out my case had been received last week and she was able to provide me with my Case ID and IIN!!! It is so good to know things are advancing, even if it is just baby steps.

Can I ask you to kindly elaborate on this: "Because of backlog, it is taking them 60 calendar days (up from 30 business days which is about 45 calendar days) to review packets. However, the AOS and the IV may be reviewed at the same time because of the way the NVC works." I don't quite understand either sentence.

Thanks in advance!

Timeline

Thanks so much, this is great information. I actually had the Wiki page open as I spoke to the NVC today. Now that I have my case number and IIN all I have to do is WAIT 20 business days to receive news from them regarding payment and next steps. At least we are moving ahead!

Am glad you have your case number and IIN. NVC is really backlogged at the moment. NVC was quoting 30business days to review packages before, but now they are quoting 60 calendar days to review packages or send AOS or IV bill due to the high volume of case files they now receive from USCIS. In my own opinion, I don't think it will get to 60 calendar days, they are just quoting that just in case they don't meet up on time and to stop people from panicking {my personal thought}

I'll suggest you study other people's timelines and signatures so as to know their progress with NVC.

The AOS and the IV are on two different tracks. Each has their own bill and are independent of each other. It's possible for both packages to be reviewed simultaneously aka at the same time.

On the NVC Process wiki someone linked there is a flow chart that shows how the NVC works.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Do you know the difference between business days and calendar days? Business days do not include weekends or holidays. So if the NVC phone rep says "this will take 20 business days" do not count the weekend when you see how long it will take on the calendar. Many people find the terminology confusing so the NVC has changed how they relate to the average person.

Timeline

Thanks for your response. I got through! I found out my case had been received last week and she was able to provide me with my Case ID and IIN!!! It is so good to know things are advancing, even if it is just baby steps.

Can I ask you to kindly elaborate on this: "Because of backlog, it is taking them 60 calendar days (up from 30 business days which is about 45 calendar days) to review packets. However, the AOS and the IV may be reviewed at the same time because of the way the NVC works." I don't quite understand either sentence.

Thanks in advance!

If you have a lawyer attached to your case, NVC will send both AOS and IV bill at same time, so you get to send both packages in and it may be reviewed at same time.

:idea: :idea: read the NVC wiki that I posted earlier over and over and over again.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.