12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I would like anyone expert or someone who have been in this before to help me. I was admitted to the U.S on K-1 VISA. Got married and filled for I-485. I went for my figure print and later had my working card. We recieved a letter saying your case on waiver and we don't need for an sort of interview. Few months later we recieved another letter stating we should come to the local office which me and my spouse doesn't know we were going for an interview and as a matter of matter we didn't take an document with us. We were been interviewed separately and my spouse gave a different answer based to that of mine. We got a Notice of intent to deny 2 months after our interview based on the different answer given by us and was been asked to summit document and form I-693 within 30days. We did all that by the help of immigration attorney and I received a letter last night stating that my application is been deny and I am given 15 days from now to provisw evidence why my employment authorization shouldn't be terminated. It also state that I may not appeal for the decision but I can file a motion to reopen or a motion to reconsiderusing form I-290B.

We are so confused now and would like some advise or help from anyone who knows much about this.

Thanks,

Chris

What does the denial notice give as the reasons for the denial?

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline

It's about my spouse family didn't state in their affivadit that they know we are married. I thought her family knows about it so when I was asked by the immigration officer I said they knew we were married and my spouse said she haven't told them. It's a whole complicated story now and I don't even know what to do.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

It's about my spouse family didn't state in their affivadit that they know we are married. I thought her family knows about it so when I was asked by the immigration officer I said they knew we were married and my spouse said she haven't told them. It's a whole complicated story now and I don't even know what to do.

They interviewed you separately at your first AOs interview? Could you please fill in your timeline, it helps if we can see that.

05-18-2022: Filed N-400 online. Received online NOA and Biometrics re-use.

06-03-2022: Interview scheduled (online notice).

06-10-2022: Interview letter received via USPS.

07-11-2022: Naturalization Interview

Click here for my full timeline of K1, AOS, ROC, and Naturalization
:time:--> http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Timeline

Yes, we were interviewed separately. She was nervous and confused so she didn't know what she was saying. Now, I have 30days to fill for a motion of appeal which we both don't know how to go about it and if its going to work since they don't believe us now.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Yes, we were interviewed separately. She was nervous and confused so she didn't know what she was saying. Now, I have 30days to fill for a motion of appeal which we both don't know how to go about it and if its going to work since they don't believe us now.

And that was your first and only AOS interview? Again, could you :time: ? it helps if we can see that.

05-18-2022: Filed N-400 online. Received online NOA and Biometrics re-use.

06-03-2022: Interview scheduled (online notice).

06-10-2022: Interview letter received via USPS.

07-11-2022: Naturalization Interview

Click here for my full timeline of K1, AOS, ROC, and Naturalization
:time:--> http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Timeline

Yes, that was my first and only AOS interview. I don't know if I would be interviewed again since I don't know the chances of filling for the motion of appeal.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to Family-based AOS Progress Forum~

~NOID and likely Stokes interview associated with AOS process~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

What waiver are you talking about ? Waiver for what ?

The different answers you gave in your stokes interview are indeed cause to doubt a bona fide relationship.

That is basic stuff the couple should know about each other.

You need a capable attorney to guide you through this, one who has all the facts.

A couple of short paragraphs here are not enough information to tell you how to proceed.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Can you give us dates when the various forms were filled, EAD card received and so on? To fill your timeline, click on your name and you will see the option "my timeline" fill in the dates and other info there.

Your story is incomplete, if you filed for AOS, there are rules and steps to follow and one of those is to prepare for an interview whether or not you got an interview waiver letter. There must have been details about you as a couple that gave them a reason to give you a stokes interview the very first time.

I am surprised she sponsored your K-1 visa and yet her family doesn't know about you but submitted an affidavit to support your application. That doesn't make any sense.

With an attorney's help your response to the NOID was denied, was it a one-off consultation or he actually prepared your documents and is experienced in handling tough immigration cases?

Quick Question, was this an arranged marriage for immigration benefits?

{Day 0}     11/16/2017 N-400 submitted online

{Day 0}     11/16/2017 NOA mailed

{Day 02}   11/18/2017 Biometrics apt scheduled

{Day 20}   12/06/2017 Biometrics done

{Day 202} 06/06/2018 Interview Scheduled

{Day 207} 06/11/2018 Interview Letter received

{Day 238} 07/12/2018 Interview Day - Approved

{Day 242} 07/16/2018 Oath Scheduled

{Day 266} 08/09/2018 Oath Ceremony - I am a US Citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I would like anyone expert or someone who have been in this before to help me. I was admitted to the U.S on K-1 VISA. Got married and filled for I-485. I went for my figure print and later had my working card. We recieved a letter saying your case on waiver and we don't need for an sort of interview. Few months later we recieved another letter stating we should come to the local office which me and my spouse doesn't know we were going for an interview and as a matter of matter we didn't take an document with us. We were been interviewed separately and my spouse gave a different answer based to that of mine. We got a Notice of intent to deny 2 months after our interview based on the different answer given by us and was been asked to summit document and form I-693 within 30days. We did all that by the help of immigration attorney and I received a letter last night stating that my application is been deny and I am given 15 days from now to provisw evidence why my employment authorization shouldn't be terminated. It also state that I may not appeal for the decision but I can file a motion to reopen or a motion to reconsiderusing form I-290B.

We are so confused now and would like some advise or help from anyone who knows much about this.

Thanks,

Chris

Q. What is a motion to reopen?

A. A motion to reopen is a request to the original decision maker to review a decision. The motion must be based on factual grounds, such as the discovery of new evidence or changed circumstances, and “state the new facts to be provided in the reopened proceedings and be supported by affidavits or other documentary evidence.” See 8 CFR 103.5(a)(2).

If the underlying application or petition was denied due to abandonment (e.g. failure to respond timely to a request for evidence or a notice of intent to deny), a motion to reopen may be filed if it can be shown that:

• The requested evidence was not material,
  • The required initial evidence was submitted with the application or petition,
  • The request for appearance or additional evidence was complied with during the allotted period, or
  • The request for evidence or appearance was not sent to the address of record.

Q. What is a motion to reconsider?

A. A motion to reconsider is a request to the original decision maker to review a decision based on new or additional legal arguments. The motion must establish that the decision was incorrect based on the evidence of record at the time of that decision, and it must state the reasons for reconsideration. A motion to reconsider must be supported by “any pertinent precedent decisions to establish that the decision was based on an incorrect application of law or [uSCIS] policy.” See 8 CFR 103.5(a)(3). Unlike a motion to reopen, new evidence or changed circumstances cannot support the filing of a motion to reconsider.

I hope this helps. Form I-290B can be obtained from www.uscis by clicking on "forms."

Edited by bdawn

Marriage (if applicable): 2007-09-08

I-130 sent: 2008-08-05

I-130 approved: 2009-04-08

Case Completed at NVC: 2009-04-08

IR-1 Visa Received: 2011-01-21

US Entry: 2011-01-29

SS card received: 02-26-2011

10 years GC Received: 03/10/2011

Citizenship eligibility Criteria: 3 years

10-31-2013: Eligibility Date

02-07-2014: Application Sent

02-11-2014: Application Received

02-11-2014: Priority Date

02-18-2014: NOA Received

02-20-2014: Bio-metric Letter sent Date

03-11-2014: Bio-metric Date

03-13-2014: In-line for Interview

04-10-2014: Interview Letter Sent Date

05-20-2014: Interview Date

06-19-2014: Oath Ceremony

06-21-2014: Applied for U.S passport Book (expedite-$60)

06-23-2014: Passport Application received

06-26-2014: Passport Completed processing and mailed

06-27-2014: Passport Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.