Cheryl-Hossein

Traveling with Green Card // Iranian Passport

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

I searched the forums, but didn't find this particular version of my question.

My husband is Iranian -- we've filed for his AOS and are waiting for EAD/AP and eventually his Green Card. We amuse ourselves sometimes by planning exotic vacations to take one day. I know his AP or Green Card when he gets it allows him to re-enter the US, but how about travel to other countries. Will he need to travel under his Iranian Passport and get visas to European countries (nearly impossible for Iranian males) or does he enjoy the benefits of being a US Citizen and be able to travel visa-free. Iran's passport pretty much limits travel to locales in the Middle East or a few Asian countries without visas. Or do we just visit family in the US and Iran and save up for 3-4 years down the road when he has his US Passport to visit Barcelona, London and Paris??

Thanks!

As far as I know the only country that treats Green Card holders differently is Canada. Every other country it is based on the passport held.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I searched the forums, but didn't find this particular version of my question.

My husband is Iranian -- we've filed for his AOS and are waiting for EAD/AP and eventually his Green Card. We amuse ourselves sometimes by planning exotic vacations to take one day. I know his AP or Green Card when he gets it allows him to re-enter the US, but how about travel to other countries. Will he need to travel under his Iranian Passport and get visas to European countries (nearly impossible for Iranian males) or does he enjoy the benefits of being a US Citizen and be able to travel visa-free. Iran's passport pretty much limits travel to locales in the Middle East or a few Asian countries without visas. Or do we just visit family in the US and Iran and save up for 3-4 years down the road when he has his US Passport to visit Barcelona, London and Paris??

Thanks!

His green card does not give him any benefits of having a US passport.

It does, as you said, give him the right to enter the US.

Certain countries (including Canada and some Central American and Caribbean countries) allow US permanent residents to enter with their foreign passports and green cards.

For example, as an Egyptian, I always needed a visa to visit Canada, but after I got my green card, I flew to Montreal and just presented my Egyptian passport and green card (no visit visa) and I was allowed to enter.

For Europe, he will need to apply for visit visas. I think that his chances of being granted a visa will go up significantly because he has a green card... the consulate officials will feel that there is less risk of him overstaying his visa since he is legally allowed to live in the US.

My friend is an Iranian who is married to an Italian. When he was on a work visa, it was very hard for him to get an Italian (Schengen) visa, but after he got his green card, he got a visa easily, even though he told them he was going to visit his fiancee's family (which may have made them think he might want to live in Italy).

Edited by JimmyHou

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Hi Cheryl, I personally would wait until he at least got his green card to leave the country. Even with the travel permit they don't need to let you back. I'd save that for emergencys. Once your start your AOS it does not take that long. We are going to Spain this fall and Mazi just got back from California to get his passport stamped with a visa to Spain. It was not a big problem. Just the usual money thing. And a few weeks wait for the passport to be sent back. He has had a Schangen (sp) visa once before. Also I think you can go to Mexico with the green card, you don't need a special visa. It is so hard to wait and wait. If you plan a trip give yourselves plenty of time for him to get his visa to that country. Send me an e-mail and tell me how things are. Send wedding pic's

Andrea

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I'm glad to hear that MENA men can get visas more easily once they are LPRs. My husband and I love to travel (that was actually one of the first things we bonded over when we met!) and while I'm sure he'll have no trouble getting his Schengen renewed, we want to travel to Ireland to visit my old study abroad haunts and visit Asia.

9/2011: Met in Morocco

12/2011: Trip to Europe together

1/2012: My trip to his hometown

11/2012: His first trip to USA

1/2014: His second trip to USA

3/2014: Married

Adjusting from a B visa

6/25/2014: Sent AOS package (I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131)

6/28/2014: Package received at Chicago Lockbox

7/2/2014: Text and email notifications

7/2/2014: Checks cashed

7/8/2014: Hard copy NOAs received

7/25/2014: Biometrics appointment

7/25/2014: RFE for foreign birth certificate

7/26/2014: RFE responded to

7/30/2014: RFE response received

8/14/2014: Status changed to "Testing and Interview"

8/29/2014: EAD and AP card production ordered

9/10/2014: EAD and AP card received

9/27/2014: Interview letter received

9/29/2014: SS card applied for

10/4/2014: SS card received

10/28/2014: Interview - approved pending final background check; online status updated that night

11/1/2014: Welcome letter

11/4/2014: GC in hand

ROC

8/13/2016: Sent I-751 Package

8/15/2016: Package received at CSC

8/17/2016: Check cashed

8/19/2016: NOA1

When he has GC getting any other visa is very easy. I know what you are talking about, but give it a shot and you will see it's easy espically from the USA.

AOS

day 1 -- 04/11/2012-- package sent to Chicago

day 2 -- 04/12/2012-- package was received.

day 43-- 05/23/2012-- Notice for an interview is received for 06/26 @ 2pm

day 63-- 06/12/2012-- Received a Text & email for an update- Card production EAD/AP

day 77-- 06/26/2012-- interview / approved on the spot.

day 86-- 07/05/2012-- Received my GC in the mail.

ROC

day 1 -- 04/07/2014 -- ROC Package delivered to VSC

day 16 -- 04/23/2014 -- Walk-in Bio.

day 197 -- 10/20/2014-- Approval Letter received dated 10/16/2014

day 202 -- 10/25/2014-- GC received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Thanks everyone for making this a little clearer in my head. Good to know that it might be easier for him to get visas to European countries as a Green Card holder. He has a sister in Canada, so I'll double check all the regulations before we go there. Our first major trip together will most likely be to Iran (so excited), so he may even be a citizen by the time we have the cash to book such a trip.

Timeline

Thanks everyone for making this a little clearer in my head. Good to know that it might be easier for him to get visas to European countries as a Green Card holder. He has a sister in Canada, so I'll double check all the regulations before we go there. Our first major trip together will most likely be to Iran (so excited), so he may even be a citizen by the time we have the cash to book such a trip.

Here's the information for Canada:

"You do not need a visa to visit or transit in Canada if you are an American citizen or a permanent resident with an alien registration card (Green card), unless you are inadmissible."

http://can-am.gc.ca/visas/visit-visite.aspx?lang=eng

Reasons for inadmissibility: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/inadmissibility/who.asp

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Double check with the embassies themselves before booking travel, but Wikipedia is a good resource on this. Some countries say they give visa-free access to U.S. green card holders, others say visa holders, and I'm not sure if it's all-inclusive, so I reiterate the importance of going straight to the source. My wife, for example, will have a green card soon but not a current U.S. visa, as her green card negates the need for a U.S. visa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent_residence_(United_States)#Visa-free_travel_for_green_card_holders

At a quick glance, your husband would get access to quite a few countries visa-free that he didn't previously have access to, including: Canada, Mexico, Jamaica, the Bahamas, Belize, Panama, Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, and a few smaller Caribbean islands.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Cheryl, European countries usually take it hard for the Iranians that are living in Iran. He is resident of USA now. European embassies issue visa for Iranians who are resident of USA easily. You only need to get visa from one of those countries. One Schengen visa works for all European Union countries. Give it a try!

I'm counting the seconds...

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : United Arab Emirates

I-129F Sent : 2009-04-27

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-05-04

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-08-07

NVC Received : 2009-08-10

NVC Left : 2009-08-14

Consulate Received : 2009-08-17

Packet 3 & 4 Received : 2009-09-20

Interview Date : 2009-12-21

Rescheduled the date to: 2010-01-24

Interview Result :put on an AP

Visa Approved: 2010-02-11

Visa Received :2010-03-16

US Entry : 2010-03-18

Marriage : 2010-05-25

CHECK MY TIME LINE FOR REST OF INFO.

Timeline

Cheryl, European countries usually take it hard for the Iranians that are living in Iran. He is resident of USA now. European embassies issue visa for Iranians who are resident of USA easily. You only need to get visa from one of those countries. One Schengen visa works for all European Union countries. Give it a try!

Just a small clarification, there are some countries, like Cyprus and Ireland, which are members of European Union, but are not in the Schengen Zone. An Iranian citizen with a Schengen visa would need separate visas to visit these countries.

http://europa.eu/about-eu/countries/member-countries/index_en.htm

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.